Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

dleach

Oct 22, 2006, 9:35 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1816 views)

Shortcut

Getting Ready to Build a Home - Need Advice

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm starting the process of intervewing builders/architiects in the Lakeside Area. My wife an I want a 2 BR - 2 Bath house with small office..pretty typical for the Lakeside Area. The lot is on side of the mountain (vs. in the flatter lower area). What I'd like is any advice you'd feel comfortable sharing about construction techinques, materials, etc. for this area. Any warnings you'd feel uncomfortable sharing with others, please PM me. I'll keep it to myself. Thanks in advance.

This is not a solicitation for builders...no offense. I'm more interested in what people have to say who have been through the process themselves.

David

Rolly

Oct 22, 2006, 9:37 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1815 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] Getting Ready to Build a Home - Need Advice

David, you might find my building story will give you some background on the process.

http://rollybrook.com/building_directory.htm

Rolly Pirate

dleach

Oct 22, 2006, 10:03 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1809 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Getting Ready to Build a Home - Need Advice

Thanks Rolly,

Your website is great and you have always given good advice.
I noticed that you used all brick instead of the concrete blocks that I am beginning to see used here at Lakeside. Some are alternating brick and block. Smaller places like casitas might be all block and some all brick. The concrete blocks I am seeing used are a smaller lightweight block than I am accustomed to in the States. They just don't appear to be as substantial as the brick.

What kind of plumbing do you recommend? I'm hearing copper is super-expensive now and perhaps to use schedule 40 PVC for cold water and copper for hot. Then there is galvanized. Any thoughts?...opinions?

Thanks

Rolly

Oct 22, 2006, 10:42 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] Getting Ready to Build a Home - Need Advice

I chose copper only, and would do so again.

PVC/copper is OK. I have done that in the USA (non code).

Stay away from galvanized. It is harder to work with and has a shorter life span than PVC or copper because of corrosion.

Your workman should understand that it is important that copper pipes not be in contact with rebar. I was surprised to discover that none of my guys knew that. I had to watch them closely during rough-in to be sure the pipes were insulated from the rebar.

I elected to go with bricks because they are easier to notch for wiring and plumbing. My maestros said they had rather work with bricks. There is little or no cost difference here in Lerdo -- both are locally made.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4