Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Sharyn

Oct 6, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #1 of 17 (2625 views)

Shortcut

Help me select where to cross border?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,

I want to drive to Mexico and spend a few months visiting all the places that sound like candidates for my new home. Someone I know in Texas had a fit when I said I was thinking of crossing at Del Rio. They claim that the border has become completely dangerous for travelers. My friends claim it is politically based and all the police have been chased away from the Mx side of the border leaving anarchy!

I cannot find anything except some incidents that involve the area around Nuevo Loredo, and they did not sound like more that high powered turf war. So I won't be crossing there, but what of Eagle's Pass or del Rio? I am a middle aged woman traveling alone and don't want to be foolhardy, but I also don't want to be scared off if this is all false reporting.

Does anyone have current information? FYI, I am traveling from California>Tucson>Central Highlands, Mx.

I will be leaving by end of October.

Thank You!!

Rolly

Oct 6, 2006, 6:54 PM

Post #2 of 17 (2618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sharyn] Help me select where to cross border?

I fear your friend in Texas has been unduly influence by the media. The two large "main land" border cities, Juarez and N Laredo, have drug gang problems and difficult traffic problems. A tourist passing through has little chance of getting into it with a drug gang, but there is no escaping the traffic mess and poor street signs. Savvy folks avoid crossing at those places when possible. Both cities have near-by crossing that allow you the avoid the cities.

Del Rio would be OK, as would Eagle Pass, or even Colombia which is the N Laredo by-pass crossing.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 6, 2006, 6:55 PM)

Camille

Oct 6, 2006, 8:52 PM

Post #3 of 17 (2599 views)

Shortcut

Explore "Colombia Friendship Bridge" on this forum..... it is a painless fabulous way to enter Mexico. The next few hours after the border may be a bit wearing, no matter which route you choose, but I promise you Colombia is a winner.
PM me if you are traveling with animals.... I have hotel info.

raferguson

Oct 7, 2006, 6:58 PM

Post #4 of 17 (2538 views)

Shortcut

In my mind, there are two reasonable kinds of places to cross the border. (Obviously the worst place to cross a border is in the center of a large city.)

1. Small towns.

2. Major roads that the trucks use to bypass the big cities.

A small town crossing would be Lukeville Arizona. The "border town" is mostly a store, the Mexican town is a few miles from the border. This is right next to Organ Pipe National Park. I have seen that crossing when I was there, it looks pretty low key, except for the weekend rush of people from Phoenix headed for the beach in Mexico.

Another small town crossing is Columbus New Mexico. We have used this crossing, easy.

My understanding is that from Tucson, heading south to Nogales on the expressway, you can follow the trucks to the bypass. I have not used that entrance, but from what I have read, it works very well. My Mexico camping book has a detailed description, which I could summarize if you wish.

Lots of choices of where to cross the border, no need to go to Texas.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Rolly

Oct 7, 2006, 7:06 PM

Post #5 of 17 (2538 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Help me select where to cross border?

Actually, I think crossing in Texas is a good plan. She is headed for the central highlands, so staying in the USA longer will cost less in tolls. Gas is now about the same price in Texas as in Mexico. I'd do it that way.

Rolly Pirate

nfabq

Oct 8, 2006, 12:24 AM

Post #6 of 17 (2514 views)

Shortcut

Richard is right;the Columbus, New Mexico crossing is like stopping at the corner for a stop sign.BUT, and that's a big but,the road leading south into the interior of Mexico,the last time I went thru,was by far the deadliest road I have ever traveled! There were more holes in the road than black top road! Frequently it was necessary to move to the shoulder,if there was one,but more often it was necessary to move into the oncoming lane to avoid losing an axle (it's a two lane road). Fortunately,there is very little oncoming traffic but all the crosses on the side of the road attest to the fact that it is not a one way road.

I suggest you consider substituting Santa Teresa,New Mexico for Columbus.It's a little way west of El Paso,Tx. Happy driving.

Norm

jreboll

Oct 8, 2006, 3:21 AM

Post #7 of 17 (2504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nfabq] Help me select where to cross border?

I have relatives in Mexico City who often go to El Paso and sometimes as far away as Salt Lake City to visit friends. They always cross either in Laredo or the Rio Grande Valley.
They would rather travel on U.S. roads as much as possible.

thriftqueen

Oct 8, 2006, 9:13 AM

Post #8 of 17 (2478 views)

Shortcut

The Nogales truck by pass crossing is easy and fast. Just returned from a Tucson trip and found Hwy 15 to be in good shape. Later in the year when the snowbirds start returning the 21K Aduana area will be busy but it's still an easy crossing. Federales much in evidence, I passed one who was aiming a radar gun my way, several had cars stopped. I wonder if the show of force has anything to do with the Baja problems? Sonora has always been very aware of tourism and anxious to smooth out any concerns. I feel perfectly safe traveling this highway.

Musicman

Oct 8, 2006, 11:49 AM

Post #9 of 17 (2462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] Help me select where to cross border?

Although I have passed thru San Carlos about six times, I do not recall whether the town is in Sonora and the Free Zone. I hope to drive down from Arizona in the Spring and I am hoping I don't have to do the auto paper-work thing.

bournemouth

Oct 8, 2006, 1:16 PM

Post #10 of 17 (2451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Help me select where to cross border?

The Sonoran free zone, which requires no paper work for your car BUT still needs you to get an FMT, runs from the border to just south of Empalme - San Carlos is in that zone. Beyond that, to the border with Sinaloa, you can manage on the Only Sonora sticker, obtainable at Kl.21 or at Empalme. The sticker for the whole of Mexico can only be obtained at Kl. 21.

tomtalbotjr

Oct 16, 2006, 9:22 AM

Post #11 of 17 (2348 views)

Shortcut

I have crossed at Laredo, TX several times.

However, last time I crossed at the Columbia Bridge which is 24 miles north of Laredo.
It is an excellent place to cross. They also have a new highway that takes you south to the toll road. You completely go around the city.

I recommend this crossing over the ones in Laredo.

Sharyn

Oct 16, 2006, 9:40 AM

Post #12 of 17 (2346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tomtalbotjr] Help me select where to cross border?

Thank you, to everyone who wrote to me. I feel you have answered my concerns, and now I will base my decision on what towns I want to visit along the way. I think I will take 15 south for the coastal views. Again thanks.

CRAZBS

Oct 26, 2006, 7:13 PM

Post #13 of 17 (2275 views)

Shortcut

I asked this same question on another site. I received a reply from someone that lives in Del Rio, he said to cross at Del Rio because the road on the Mexican side of Eagle Pass is not very good. He said he crossed at Del Rio all the time and that it was pretty easy. Hope you get this in time.

sparks

Oct 27, 2006, 4:29 AM

Post #14 of 17 (2254 views)

Shortcut

You don't see much of the coast going down 15 unless you side track over to it

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

RickS

Oct 27, 2006, 8:35 AM

Post #15 of 17 (2232 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Help me select where to cross border?

In fact you want see ANY of the coast unless you sidetrack over to it!

I'd be very cautious about venturing off 15 in a lot of places down that route. I'm not trying to be an alarmist but there are some (many?) areas along that route where, let's say, 'plants of high $ value' are grown, and unsuspecting visitors are not welcomed with open arms.... arms maybe, but just not welcoming ones!

I'd stick to places like San Carlos, on the coast just 15km west of Guaymas ( a gringo hangout with nice harbor/view of the ocean from an observatory point) or closer to Mazatlan right on the Ocean farther down. Others may be able to give you a couple of more places where you could enjoy the view/ocean.

Again, nothing in the above should change one's mind about driving that route! It's safe; I've driven it and would drive it again in a heartbeat. It's just that in certain places along the way it pays to not go poking around too far off-road. And then other places are perfectly OK.

Enjoy your trip.

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 27, 2006, 8:39 AM)

patricio_lintz

Oct 27, 2006, 6:06 PM

Post #16 of 17 (2194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Help me select where to cross border?

Actually, you can see quite a bit of ocean North of Mazatlan on the the toll road. Exit at la Ceuta for a Mexican beach.

www.makeyourhomeinmexico.com

Judy in Ags

Oct 27, 2006, 6:38 PM

Post #17 of 17 (2186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CRZ] Help me select where to cross border?

The last three times we've gone NOB we've crossed back into Mexico at Eagle Pass. It saves us a lot of toll over as compared to crossing at Laredo.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4