Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jennifer rose

Oct 15, 2006, 8:41 AM

Post #1 of 40 (2696 views)

Shortcut

Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Can't Post |
If someone had but a single week to spend on Mexico, and cost was not a consideration, where you suggest that person go? Let's say the person had never been in Mexico before and was not likely to make a second trip.

yucatandreamer

Oct 15, 2006, 9:19 AM

Post #2 of 40 (2674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
 I recommend Puerto Vallarta as long as you have a hotel in town. It is a wonderful place for a week. You have excellent restaurants, a fabulous malacon for walking and people watching and perfect sunsets. There is good shopping; buses are easy to catch and the town itself is completely walkable. It is possible to enjoy some of what Mexico has to offer without the difficulty of learning to speak good Spanish. It is easy to get to and though it is a tourist destination, it still feels like Mexico.
I haven't been everywhere in Mexico and I am sure there are other wonderful places. I live in Merida which has its own thriving tourist industry but for a "once in a lifetime" trip I would suggest Puerto Vallarta.

Gringal

Oct 15, 2006, 11:12 AM

Post #3 of 40 (2651 views)

Shortcut

How about a luxury B & B in San Miguel de Allende, with all the trimmings?

mariejosee

Oct 15, 2006, 11:49 AM

Post #4 of 40 (2637 views)

Shortcut

I think we should ask first if that person wants a luxury get-away week or is interested in Mexico...

As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.
"Henry David Thoreau"

Gringal

Oct 15, 2006, 12:17 PM

Post #5 of 40 (2633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mariejosee] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Your response to my comment came in before my edit was complete, so:

"Tourist traps" are usually successful because they provide the visitor with their wants, at least for a short time. Since the busy beach towns and SMA annoy you, where would you suggest that a person like you go, if for only a week ?

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 15, 2006, 12:45 PM)

mariejosee

Oct 15, 2006, 12:34 PM

Post #6 of 40 (2621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

My point is that I don't know enough about the customer to give a proper suggestion. I spent the day In Puerto Vallarta, the old town yesterday and got so terribly annoyed at all the vendors calling you in and men in general, doing what men in heat do, that I came home fried. I lived in San Miguel 8 months and although I think it truly is beautiful, a stroll in the square has the same effect on my nerves. I call those places tourist traps. Maybe they are perfect for the person coming for a week, but we're not all created equal.

"Henry David Thoreau"

TigerTonio

Oct 15, 2006, 12:37 PM

Post #7 of 40 (2619 views)

Shortcut

Cost not a consideration? Mexico City...most definitely! Beautiful hotels, tons of history, arts, world class cuisine.

(This post was edited by Tio Toño on Oct 15, 2006, 12:37 PM)

Brian

Oct 15, 2006, 12:42 PM

Post #8 of 40 (2615 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
hey might as well enjoy a beautiful beach or a nice batch of Colonial Era buildings in one of the picturesque towns, sample some of the better Mexican dishes, have a pleasant stay and go home with the knowledge that there is more to Mexico than a quick trip to Tijuana.

For viewing colonial buildings, go to San Miguel de Allende. However, for enjoying the better Mexican dishes one is far better served in Tijuana. Unlike the state of Guanajuato, Tijuana is a culinary melting pot. It is a relatively young city as far as Mexico goes and its inhabitants range from all throughout the Republic. They have brought their variety of tastes in cuisine to the city and the restaurants reflect this fact. Seafood ala VeraCruz and Sinaloa, Beef from Sonora, Moles from Oaxaca and Puebla etc. San Miguel is a great town but the restaurant scene is not one of its distinguishing characteristics.

hasta la pasta
Brian

Gringal

Oct 15, 2006, 12:48 PM

Post #9 of 40 (2610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Didn't mean to take a swipe at Tijuana, and wouldn't be surprised if the food scene was superb. Maybe I should have said Neuvo Leon?

mariejosee

Oct 15, 2006, 1:58 PM

Post #10 of 40 (2588 views)

Shortcut

How about a trip up to Real de Catorce to explore the magic of a mining ghost town perched up at 8000 ft in the Sierra Madre that is the spiritual homeland of the Huichol Indians and their peyote rituals? Or a drive up the Huasteca into the mists and its mystical views, archeological sites, waterfalls and Xilitla the famous surreal city in the jungle? Or maybe a week of exploring the caves within the canyons of Barranca del Cobre and sighting the Tarahumaras? Perhaps walking the desert in bloom on a photo safari? How many of you know the mighty saguaro in bloom?

"Henry David Thoreau"

caldwelld

Oct 15, 2006, 4:17 PM

Post #11 of 40 (2562 views)

Shortcut

A week on peyote - that ought to do it all right!!

Mexico city would certainly be my bet if money was no object. You would just be scratching the surface in a week. And let us not kid ourselves, nowhere in Mexico is the food more exciting.
dondon

wendy devlin

Oct 15, 2006, 4:28 PM

Post #12 of 40 (2559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Expectations.

Find out what the prize winner expects to get on their week in Mexico.

Then meet or surpass that criteria.

Likely anything else offered.

As fabulous or mystical as you might think it.

Might not meet expectations.

PeggyS

Oct 15, 2006, 11:58 PM

Post #13 of 40 (2494 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Before choosing where to spend your wonderful week, please check the nationwide weather map. We have had such wierd storms this year, you never know where one will take over I love Acapulco, for instance, but wow what storms and flooding this year, so I then would definitely go inland, Ajijic for instance if you want water nearby, a lake rather than the ocean (bay). So do check your weather stations on the TV or internet.

drfugawe

Oct 16, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #14 of 40 (2447 views)

Shortcut

Jennifer wrote: "If someone had but a single week to spend on Mexico, and cost was not a consideration, where you suggest that person go? Let's say the person had never been in Mexico before and was not likely to make a second trip."
------------------------------------------------

Now, now, Jennie, you're baiting us - and at considerable risk, I must add! Such a question is a chasm bound to produce an ever escalating flury of emotional responses, and a corresponding share of rude and crude defensive counterings that before too long will require this forum's moderator to do their thing and lock it down.

Yup, it's a quandry, ain't it?
jm

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

Brian

Oct 16, 2006, 8:19 AM

Post #15 of 40 (2446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Who is baiting whom? There have been 12 responses already without the "flury of emotional responses". I don't like locked and deleted threads anymore than anyone else but why just try to provoke it?

Brian

drfugawe

Oct 16, 2006, 10:13 AM

Post #16 of 40 (2420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Chill, Brian - it's just a little humor!

(However, I do like your appropriate use of the word "whom" - that puts you in the top 3% of forum communicators!)
jm

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

Gringal

Oct 16, 2006, 12:13 PM

Post #17 of 40 (2395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

I wonder what percentage uses "fora" for the plural?

Perhaps this forum did not get contentious becasue most people realize (I hope) that when it comes to picking a vacation spot for a week, it certainly is "different strokes".

sfmacaws

Oct 16, 2006, 3:04 PM

Post #18 of 40 (2365 views)

Shortcut

Not to mention "cost is not a consideration".

I recommend this spot. http://www.locogringo.com/...=Hacienda%20Xcanatun

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

wendy devlin

Oct 16, 2006, 3:17 PM

Post #19 of 40 (2361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Or this resort in Colima:

http://www.amanresorts.com/maha/print.htm

It's always interesting to find out, if one can, who 'owns' these places.

arbon and I met a German businessman taking photos in Comalá. He thought this resort, an excellent deal with prices like: Suite US$675 Volcán, Sol and Quetzal Suites
US$1,450

Because the price included a car and driver

Gringal

Oct 16, 2006, 4:10 PM

Post #20 of 40 (2350 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

There's a place over on the coast that charges even more, but it includes the Cristal champagne, beluga caviar and total, utter privacy. Not too shabby.

DoDi2

Oct 16, 2006, 4:27 PM

Post #21 of 40 (2345 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
How many of you know the mighty saguaro in bloom?

I invoke my 5th Amendment rights and refuse to answer that question!

yucatandreamer

Oct 16, 2006, 5:05 PM

Post #22 of 40 (2331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

I am sure Hacienda Xcanatun would be a wonderful place to spend a week. If you wanted to see anything other than the Hacienda and its pueblito you would need a car. In my personal opinion, it is probably the best restaurant in Merida. It is also one of the best bargains in town for fine dining. The food and service are both top notch and I always recommend Xcanatun to visitors who want more than salbutes and poc-chuc.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Oct 16, 2006, 5:41 PM

Post #23 of 40 (2316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

How about Mazatlan? I spent a week there last March and had a ball. Plenty to see & do. Get a hotel in Centro. Fairly inexpensive.
Getting older and still not down here.

Oscar2

Oct 16, 2006, 5:55 PM

Post #24 of 40 (2307 views)

Shortcut

This is a good one. Pending how one feels and what he/she is ready for at the time this inviting opportunity knocks on your door.

If it’s just a week while in the midst of a chance to wind down and just kick back at the right time of the year, I’d pick the beaches, coves and sands of Huatulco. Villas abound and quiet serenity is ideal for just kicking sand on the beach, enjoying a cold one and just watching the surf churn and filter away the preoccupation and stress of everyday life.

Distractions are few and beach privacy is a plenty. Pending company and the page your both on, relaxation is wide open, as the night life haunts till the wee…….

Villas and hotels are inviting, very comfortable and services are known to pamper, especially with the card blanch this thread offers.

Pick a place to stay and a beach to visit. Photos available.

http://www.tomzap.com/huatulco.html#expensive

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 16, 2006, 6:02 PM)

sfmacaws

Oct 16, 2006, 6:06 PM

Post #25 of 40 (2300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Where to spend a single week in Mexico?

Yes, the reason I know about it is the restaurant. But, if you can afford to stay there, you can afford a driver and I'm sure they would arrange it for you. I think it's a great combo of luxury and solitude if you want it but with the options of an exciting city (Merida) and lots of Mayan ruins within range. You would see some of the country unlike on an isolated beach.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4