Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Musicman

Oct 13, 2006, 11:11 AM

Post #1 of 26 (9346 views)

Shortcut

Quality of Beaches

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have been to beaches in P/V, Barra de Navidad, Manzanillo and Mazatlan. Most of them were, because of rocks, difficult to walk for a fellow with very tender feet. In November, we are going on a beach trip to Punta Mita and are curious as to the condition of the beach in that area. The beach at Rincon de Guayabitos was really nice but we want to try a new area and hotel.

jerezano

Oct 13, 2006, 3:05 PM

Post #2 of 26 (9324 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Quality of Beaches

Hello

Go to http://www.tourbymexico.com/nayarit/mita/mita.htm and see if that will help you. They claim "fine sand".

Adiós. jerezano.

MazDee

Oct 13, 2006, 8:46 PM

Post #3 of 26 (9299 views)

Shortcut

Where were you in Mazatlán? The beaches here that I know are not rocky. There are some rocky outcroppings on the more-than-12 mile beachfront. So you have to go up to the Malecon (beach walk) to get around them. A couple of blocks? But, there are many miles of beach to walk here. And Stone Island! Well, I guess you could walk just about to Paradise on that beach. Dream on for a longer, noninterrupted beach than those around here! I don't often post about the beauties of Maz, because I don't reckon it will be any better when the baby boomers really take a fancy, but Mazatlán is the best place on the west coast. Maybe on either coast, if it comes to beaches.

sparks

Oct 14, 2006, 6:32 AM

Post #4 of 26 (9280 views)

Shortcut

None of those beaches are rocky in my opinion (La Manzanilla the exception). They do tend to be more so near river mouths after a storm. Been to Punta Mita twice and the beach is pretty smooth.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Musicman

Oct 14, 2006, 6:55 AM

Post #5 of 26 (9278 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Quality of Beaches

More than the visible beach sand, I was talking about the small rocks that you don't see until you wade in the ocean. To most folks these small rocks are probably not even an issue but my feet are so sensitive that I cry when I step on a gnat's shadow.

sfmacaws

Oct 14, 2006, 12:57 PM

Post #6 of 26 (9255 views)

Shortcut

What you need is a pair of Crocs! They stay on in water, are so comfortable you'll never want to wear anything else, and you won't feel the rocks if there are any. The only problem is sand comes in through the holes but it is easy to shake out. They are easy to swim in if you put the strap behind your heel. Oh, and they float if you lose one.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

esperanza

Oct 14, 2006, 4:15 PM

Post #7 of 26 (9235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Quality of Beaches

I heartily second the motion for Crocs. They are the ugliest shoes I've ever owned, but they are by far the most comfortable and the lightest.

Try them, you'll never want anything else.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Oct 14, 2006, 10:39 PM

Post #8 of 26 (9211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Quality of Beaches

I love my Crocs but do not like wearing them on the beach. The wet sand gets inside them and bugs me. I wear them to the beach then walk barefoot. And I can't imagine trying to swim wearing shoes that float!
Otherwise, Crocs rock, and I love my Croc flip flops.

Musicman

Oct 15, 2006, 7:26 AM

Post #9 of 26 (9193 views)

Shortcut

Okay, I am headed to the Croc store before my trip to Mexico.
Thanks!!!

sparks

Oct 15, 2006, 7:52 AM

Post #10 of 26 (9188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Quality of Beaches

To the person who sent me a private message about the beach in La Manzanilla ... I don't think it's bad, just often times rocky. In fact walking up the beach to Boca de Iquanas is one of my favorite walks ... because it's flat.

La Manz beach

If you send a private message ... please accept responses. Thanks

Camille

Oct 20, 2006, 1:13 PM

Post #11 of 26 (9098 views)

Shortcut

The beach at Punta Negra is my fave....it's just around the point from Punta Mita. To get there you would drive toward Sayulita on the brand new blacktop, and take the first left, an unpaved road. The road will make a sharp left for you, and continue on for maybe a mile, til you see the public access and stone steps down to the beach. It is open ocean, but very protected by the point. The winter sea can be rough, but not at Punta Negra.... and far fewer rocks than Punta Mita!
And don't miss a boat trip out to the Marietta Islands for snorkeling and sightseeing. The islands are a blue-footed booby sanctuary, and are just stunning! You will find a gorgeous beach there too.
If you're interested in restaurant suggestions I have several. I've lived here for four years....

Don Moore

Oct 20, 2006, 3:52 PM

Post #12 of 26 (9083 views)

Shortcut

I'll put in my dos centavos about Crocs. Usually I avoid anything that is trendy, but I have never made a better investment in anything than the few bucks I paid for Crocs. Only problem I've had is that I wear them everywhere and have worn them out rather quickly walking on pavement. Oh, well, they're cheap enough. I'll just get another pair.
Don Moore

barmarr

Dec 13, 2006, 11:51 PM

Post #13 of 26 (8929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Quality of Beaches

Do you really have Croc flip flops?? Are they like all other flip flops with a thong between your big toe?

I have never seen them, are they a brand new style?

sioux4noff

Dec 14, 2006, 5:39 AM

Post #14 of 26 (8915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] Quality of Beaches

The Croc flip flops are just the same style as other flip flops but made of Croc material. Seriously, they are incredibly comfortable! Here is a picture of mine http://i23.photobucket.com/...x4noff/crocflops.jpg
They aren't available at the Croc stores in Mexico. The reason is that they are made in China and the import duty is too high and the cost would be too much.
I got both my pairs in the US.

paulette & Chuck

Dec 14, 2006, 7:14 PM

Post #15 of 26 (8885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Quality of Beaches

Try any West Marine in the US for both Croc flipflops and clogs.

drfugawe

Dec 15, 2006, 7:02 AM

Post #16 of 26 (8857 views)

Shortcut

esperanza wrote: "I heartily second the motion for Crocs. They are the ugliest shoes I've ever owned, but they are by far the most comfortable and the lightest."
----------

When ugly becomes fashionable, ugly becomes beautiful.
jm

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

aholm

Jan 20, 2007, 5:28 PM

Post #17 of 26 (8749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Quality of Beaches

I'm new to this forum and am just exploring possible beaches to visit on the central Pacific coast. In my little research so far, several have mentioned that Playa Maruata is one of the most beautiful beaches in that area - fine golden sand, nice surf, turquoise water, and some nice rock formations to give it some character. Has anyone been there? Do you agree? How far is it from Lake Chapala?
Thanks.

Bubba

Jan 21, 2007, 1:22 PM

Post #18 of 26 (8707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aholm] Quality of Beaches

Playa Maruata is on the Michoacan coast north of the port of Lazaro Cardenas which is on the Guerrero border. It is very far from Lake Chapala about midway up the coast between Lazaro Cardenas and the Colima state line which is over 200 rugged and deserted kilometers. I believe the water there is quite polluted and Highway 200 along the Michoacan and Guerrero coasts can be pretty lawless. Drive there at your peril. We drive all over Mexico but avoid that route.

sfmacaws

Jan 21, 2007, 3:12 PM

Post #19 of 26 (8698 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Quality of Beaches

This may matter or not depending on your lifestyle, Maruata is a well known stop on the backpacker trail. It has camping for tents and small vans and hammocks. How do I say this? It has the reputation for easy availability of drugs, optional clothing and all night drumming.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

esperanza

Jan 21, 2007, 3:44 PM

Post #20 of 26 (8695 views)

Shortcut

When's the next bus?

wendy devlin

Jan 22, 2007, 8:23 AM

Post #21 of 26 (8663 views)

Shortcut

Don't forget your dread-lock wig, esperanza!

One lesser mentioned observance of several Mexican beaches on the Pacific side.

With storms and powerful tides, sometimes overnight, the lovely sand can be scoured off a beach.

And deposited somewhere else. Often leaving, the once sandy beach, a mass of small pebbles or huge out-crops of boulders etc.

You arrive. The beach is absolutely nothing like any photos or descriptions you have seen.

Stick around awhile.
Sometime, as if by magic, massive amounts of sand are swept back again onto the beach.

The dead birds, the sewage, basura and other flotsam and jetsum gone.
The beach, pristine in appearance, once again.

Also, pay careful attention to mention of beaches of strong currents especially on Pacific Coastal beaches. Also, beaches that are wide and sweeping, exposed to the open ocean, can periodically have a rip tide pass through.

The cause of many a death or near death of locals and tourists alike.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Jan 22, 2007, 8:26 AM)

esperanza

Jan 22, 2007, 12:16 PM

Post #22 of 26 (8642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Quality of Beaches

Wendy, are you peeping around on my street? A Mexican friend was visiting me today. When he was ready to leave, he opened the trunk of his car and took out...yes...a dreadlocks wig. I must say he looked totally bizarre in it--the dreads were attached to a rasta gorrita and he looked like something the cat dragged in.

He's on his way to Tijuana. He says he wears the thing as a disguise when he's on the street up there.

wendy devlin

Jan 22, 2007, 2:24 PM

Post #23 of 26 (8632 views)

Shortcut

It's hard to peep 5000 km...unless ya gat da power!

sparks

Jan 23, 2007, 4:33 PM

Post #24 of 26 (8588 views)

Shortcut

Re: [aholm] Quality of Beaches

We just back from a drive down the coast from Melaque to Playa Azul and there's lots of pretty beaches in Michoacan. I stopped at Maruata last time up and it does look like a hippie hang out - unlike La Ticla which is a surfing beach. El Faro is another pretty one further south. Any can be done in a day (not a day trip) from Chapala.

Tamer beaches but not quiet as pretty are between Manzanillo and Vallarta - still very interesting, more places to stay and closer. Actually El Tecuan is just as pretty as most Michoacan beaches but nothing there !!

aholm

Jan 23, 2007, 7:08 PM

Post #25 of 26 (8574 views)

Shortcut

Thanks to you and Bubba for your replies. Yes, I understand what you're saying about it being a matter of lifestyle. We live in a town in Illinois - about 100,000 people - we live in a neighborhood that some people won't even drive through because they consider it unsafe and undesirable. We've lived there 34 yrs and never had any crime and have had wonderful neighbors.

As far as beaches go, when we travel in the US or Caribbean, we like to go to the less-traveled beaches - fewer tourists and often more hang-loose. I realize it's different in another country, but I appreciate your perspectives. We'll probably explore a number of beaches in the area...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4