Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Oscar2

Oct 3, 2006, 1:05 PM

Post #1 of 24 (3208 views)

Shortcut

Living in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
If the illegal alien was successfully prevented/limited from migrating NOB (wall or whatever) what could the aftermath be for the Mexicans, US and the expat SoB?

The possibilities seem infinite but on touching just a few scenarios it would seem that the huge Mexican village exoduses would stymie greatly, thus repopulating Mexico.

The influx would increase Mexican job necessity and need for more tourist, industrial and farming infrastructure to offset the giant economic hole once filled with the over abundance of cheap labor we enjoyed in the US.

If the Mexican immigration policies eventually pan out and controlled migration can effectively control and start filling US industries needs, would this legitimization give rise to our cost of living?

In the meantime, down south, now out of a deeper sense of hunger/necessity for US dollars the cry for Mexican tourism and industry retooling seems almost inevitable. Would this create a greater atmosphere of competition in Mexico and if so, how do you feel this would effect tourist economically across the board.

Interesting times and scenarios abound, these are just a few possibilities with big question marks.

DoDi2

Oct 3, 2006, 1:21 PM

Post #2 of 24 (3179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Living in Mexico

In Reply To
If the illegal alien was successfully prevented/limited from migrating NOB (wall or whatever) what could the aftermath be for the Mexicans, US and the expat SoB?

Expats will have to wait in longer lines behind these fellows at the Lake Chapala Costco?

arbon

Oct 3, 2006, 1:33 PM

Post #3 of 24 (3168 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
And the diet will change NOB, to more tortillas and processed beans, exported from Mexico.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jreboll

Oct 3, 2006, 3:09 PM

Post #4 of 24 (3137 views)

Shortcut

The large illegal Mexican influx helped fuel the building boom we just had and maintain the stable agriculture product prices that we enjoy. The large legal influx of Philippino nurses has kept nurses salaries low and medical expenses low. We all would like to have low cost of living and high wages. How do you accomplish this?

Oscar2

Oct 4, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #5 of 24 (3044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Living in Mexico

The large illegal Mexican influx helped fuel the building boom we just had and maintain the stable agriculture product prices that we enjoy.

True. Moreover, if across the board Mexican legalization knocks on the US industry and the farming communityís back door, I also agree, progressively Mexicanís expectations will eventually evolve from lower too higher wages commensurate with their counterparts and cost of living.

I suspect the criteria and the limited selection process of who, why and how someone is permitted US entry will remain an anomalyÖ..

In the interim, should Mexicanís have to come to grips with their limited legal chances of getting across the boarder, their US absence can cause an economic vacuum.

This may justify getting back to the drawing boards with either a more liberal immigration policy and/or greater Mexican incentives for self reliance of the kind that will elevate and fuel more US product export needed from our southern neighbors?

This can happen but this too can cause a swath of a double-edged sword which undercuts US jobs. On the other hand, will it evolve the way of Walmart product producers overseas and all else which comes with it?

If this should eventually come about, the initial impact of Mexicoís increased repopulation should fan the flames of competition for tourist dollars and perhaps expats may find themselves in a favorable buyers market.

caldwelld

Oct 4, 2006, 7:10 PM

Post #6 of 24 (2957 views)

Shortcut

What have you guys been smoking? Repopulation of Mx indeed. Do the math!
dondon

Oscar2

Oct 5, 2006, 8:19 AM

Post #7 of 24 (2891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Living in Mexico

Snide remarks laced with pomposity is not appreciated by most, nor is sarcasm punctuated by right/wrong posturing; therefore, I will just try and share my limited information as best I can and if you wish to comment, it will be welcomed.

Invariably I hear via the media and other pounding sources about numbers that run from 20 to 30 million Mexicanís residing in the US. Allegedly, itís always claimed that a very large percentage of them are there illegally.

The discussion offered in my previous post is merely contentions, ideas or open ponderings you too have routinely enjoyed on this forum and hey, why not.

My previous post was an offering meant for discussion. If you have numbers based on your experience from whatever sources, let your contentions known and make the math work for us all.

Indeed your thoughts carry a message and at times, if one is aware, you can listen to what is also said between the words. What is even more interesting is listening to what is not said.

Your intelligence is something which beholds you and finding comfort in it while living SMA should make your life interesting. It appears that your upkeep with the latest news, trivia and what not, provides you with much to share. Tell us more about the numbers and what they mean to you now and how you ďcontendĒ it will affect Mexicans and expats in the near and distant future.

Saludos

caldwelld

Oct 6, 2006, 10:19 AM

Post #8 of 24 (2763 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, it was late at night and I was just put off by the notion that some substantial return of illegal migrants in the US to their native land would "repopulate" Mexico. That seemed rather unlikely given that Mx is already quite well populated by around 110 million souls.

Nobody knows so it is all just guestimates on the part of people and institutions but the number of "illegals" in the US currently ranges between 5 and 15 million depending on who you talk to and the particular point they are trying to make. Even if half of them were to return (this would be a big number to get) under some roundup program, it would be over a period of a year or, more likely, 3 or 4 years. They would all be going back presumably to there home towns so spread all over the country. Thus the impact would be dilluted substantially.

The real impact would be to make those home towns poorer from the effect of not recieving the expatriated dollars these folks presently send home, which amounts to something like the third most important source of foreign currency for the ocuntry after tourism and oil.

US census firgures, which include illegals, (but probably in a seriously under-reported way), put the number of hispanics living in the US at around 14%. That is around 45 to 48 million. If we say that 10 million are without proper papers, you are right that is a substantial portion of them.
dondon

Oscar2

Oct 7, 2006, 8:16 AM

Post #9 of 24 (2657 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Living in Mexico

The real impact would be to make those home towns poorer from the effect of not recieving the expatriated dollars these folks presently send home, which amounts to something like the third most important source of foreign currency for the ocuntry after tourism and oil.

US census firgures, which include illegals, (but probably in a seriously under-reported way), put the number of hispanics living in the US at around 14%. That is around 45 to 48 million. If we say that 10 million are without proper papers, you are right that is a substantial portion of them.

I definitely concur. Moreover the impact from the outset will and can lead to Mexican economic frustration and varying degrees of financial panic. Most likely the US exodus would cut a deep economic raven necessitating an expeditious restructuring of immigration policy which would effectively balance the chasm created on both sides.

If politicians stonewall, perhaps the industrialists and farming community out of sheer economic need, press hard enough for Mx incentives such as pouring dollars back into Mx for restructuring Mx self reliance for realized US export needs. Yes, I believe that in the long run Mx can benefit from aid toward self-reliance.

In the short term, it follows; IHMO the strain and need for American tourist dollars may fuel a more competitive and favorable expat buyers market. Of which, in some small way may also somewhat alleviate Mx needs, as it has in the past.

Of course, these are just contentions born from all the fallout to date. With the granting of US funds and contracts authorized for a 700-mile wall and other high tech gizmos, it appears, it may be the dawning of something in Mx favor when the US realizes they may have shot themselves in the foot. The need for affordable crops and food in the US, just to name a few, has a very loud voice that knows how to screamÖÖÖ

I digress, but on another front and out of curiosity, since Iím an avid major league baseball fan, are you guys down south receiving the post-season baseball playoffs on ESPN or some other TV station?

Ed and Fran

Oct 7, 2006, 9:11 AM

Post #10 of 24 (2637 views)

Shortcut

I digress, but on another front and out of curiosity, since Iím an avid major league baseball fan, are you guys down south receiving the post-season baseball playoffs on ESPN or some other TV station?

Yup, sure are. Appears that ESPN and Fox are sharing the games. At least that's the way I'm getting them on our local cable. Commentary in Spanish, but I'm used to that.

I can also get NFL games, including Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football.

That's about all we watch on tv.

Regards

Ed & Fran

Mark Landes

Oct 7, 2006, 9:31 PM

Post #11 of 24 (2545 views)

Shortcut

I was browsing in Nurse Weekly last week and was reading about how the Phillipines and some other places are hurting because their nurses are recruited for the US.
Mark

MariaLund

Oct 7, 2006, 10:04 PM

Post #12 of 24 (2537 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mark Landes] Living in Mexico

"Brain drain" has always been a problem - and probably always will - in countries where salaries of professionals are not competitive, if skills are in demand elsewhere, where the pay is better, taxes lower etc. etc. Polish government, for example, still has a near monopoly on health care - as a provider and employer - and thus regulates wages for nurses, doctors at laughable (considering the competition) levels. So Polish nurses, doctors, physical therapists, engineers etc. etc emigrate to Western Europe or the USA and Polish government cries "brain drain", and tries to make it appear unfair, while they are creating the problem. And, on the other side, last I checked nobody prohibits American women to get nursing (or other) degrees in higher numbers than they currently do, instead of working for pennies at Wal Mart - for example. As an owner of my brain I - not my government - should have a right to decide where I will use it... (just like young American's should be able to refuse to spill their blood for Bushiites unhealthy imperial ambitions... but that's another story alltogether).
Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse est!

(This post was edited by MariaLund on Oct 7, 2006, 10:06 PM)

jreboll

Oct 7, 2006, 10:35 PM

Post #13 of 24 (2529 views)

Shortcut

The Philippine government would like to have their cake and eat it too. Their nursing programs are in English so as to facilitate their nurses going abroad and finding jobs. Now they complain that their nurses are leaving.
Mexico has no problem because their classes are in spanish and their nurses find it hard to go and work abroad.

pipjane

Oct 8, 2006, 6:58 AM

Post #14 of 24 (2495 views)

Shortcut

I think you'll find that since the American occupation English has been the official language of education in the schools -and therefore it would seem logical that English would be the language of nursing too. English and Filipino are the two national languages of the country but Filipino is a slightly artificial language created from other national languages in order to have a language that reflected their own culture. Some of the older inhabitants of the Philippines don't actually speak it.

drfugawe

Oct 8, 2006, 7:48 AM

Post #15 of 24 (2479 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
We all would like to have low cost of living and high wages. How do you accomplish this?

If you mean for all, of course that's impossible. But if you mean for a select few, then we just keep doing what we're doing!
jm

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

Oscar2

Oct 8, 2006, 8:27 AM

Post #16 of 24 (2464 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Living in Mexico

I can also get NFL games, including Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football.

That's about all we watch on tv.

Great, its good to here American baseball is telecasted in Mexicoís interior. You sound like us during the playoffs. Weíre locked to three games a day until World Series.

My wife is from Michigan and of course rooting for Detroit who have been underdogs for a very, very long time.

In all the years Iíve been watching major league baseball, today is the first time Iíve ever seen the wining team in a best of 5 games literally come out onto the field and with the pandemonium and roar of the home crowd after a long 19 year drought, Detroit Tigers rose to the occasion, came out into the field and bleachers as winners. With Champaign in tow, popped corks and showered the bubbly on hysterically happy Detroit fans to their utter delight. A sight to behold!!

Incidentally, are the games in Mexico also televised in High Definition? If so, whoís the provider and whatís their monthly rate? I buy my HDTVís at Costco and the newest (as an example) Mitsubishi 57Ē DLP with 1080p resolution runs $2495.00 on line. Living in Mexico, must one buy only the items on their shelves or will ordering on-line get you the delivery needed? Iíve heard on this forum that prices would be higher due to import tax. Is this true or is it already built in on their shelves selling price?

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Oct 8, 2006, 10:10 AM)

wendy devlin

Oct 8, 2006, 1:05 PM

Post #17 of 24 (2414 views)

Shortcut

Since Filipeno nurses have been mentioned.

One of my sisters-in-law was offered RN training in Canada in the 70's with the idea that she would return to the Philipines to nurse there.

After graduation, she and her other Filipeno class-mates, on the same program, then opted to relocate to the U.S. where RN wages at that time were higher. They by and large chose California specifically, where the climate was so warmer than Edmonton, Alberta:)

She's now retired(having gone to the top of the ladder and stayed there in a speciality unit in a large hospital. She (as far as I understand) has always sent 'remittances' home to the Philipines during her working life. She also invested heavily in San Francisco real estate, and the rental market, thus funding. the higher education of many of her nieces and nephews in the U.S.

There they have either lived with her family or in one of her rentals while attending university.

What has this to do with Mexico?

Similiar values and objectives as many Mexicans who leave Mexico to work in another country.

Means to achieve an end not generally available where you come from.

Ed and Fran

Oct 8, 2006, 2:31 PM

Post #18 of 24 (2396 views)

Shortcut

Oscar: Incidentally, are the games in Mexico also televised in High Definition?

Can't help you there, other than to recommend that you either check out the Technical forum or do a search on HDTV. It occurs to me that the topic came up very recently here. Depends mostly on where you live. Out here in the "Lesser Provinces" I get "XLDTV" (extra low definition tv). In fact, Fox Sports comes in so badly (snow and fuzz) that it's virtually non-viewable. But that's just my cable provider.

Ed

Mark Landes

Oct 8, 2006, 6:23 PM

Post #19 of 24 (2366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pipjane] Living in Mexico

Tagalog is a pretty language with influences from-- spanish, japanese, vietnamese, polynesian --at least that's what it looks and sounds like to me. I used to frequent a Filipino kareoki bar.
Mark

johanson

Oct 8, 2006, 9:03 PM

Post #20 of 24 (2331 views)

Shortcut

I watch the same HD you do up North, Oscar. I watch Canadian HD on the Canadian Star Choice System and US HD on DISH. I even watch several of my home town Seattle network stations in HD via Star Choice. There is also C band for HD.

And I bought my HDTV at Costco in Guad, although, I could have purchased it a Sams, Sorianas etc.

Don Moore

Oct 9, 2006, 7:32 PM

Post #21 of 24 (2211 views)

Shortcut

Tao po.

Tagalog is a Malay-Polynesian language with lots of Spanish and English words "adopted" into it. I speak Cebuano, another Filipino language and a good bit of Tagalog. Pilipino is Tagalog with the name changed for political reasons. As far as I can tell, Pilipino is not an artificial language made up of various languages of the country, but is simply Tagolog. It is the national language of The Philippines. Many people throughout the country do not speak Tagalog (or Pilipino). In fact, many resent and resist speaking it because it places Tagalog, the language of the capitol, Manila, in a higher status than their own language. This seems particularly true of Cebuano speakers, many of whom whill say that they don't speak Tagalog even if they do. There are nearly as many native speakers of Cebuano as there are native speakers of Tagalog.

I'm; not sure what this has to do with the topic of this thread. What is the topic of this thread? But I know a bit about it, so I thought I'd chime in.

Salamat po,

DON
Don Moore

johanson

Oct 9, 2006, 7:50 PM

Post #22 of 24 (2203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Living in Mexico

Don, como sta Ka? I must know at least one million Filipino (Tagalog)words as do many if not most of you who are posting here. In tagalog, the numbers 1 through 10 are uniquely theirs, but guess how you say 11, 12, 13, 14 etc all the way to infinity?
"once, doce, trece, catorce, etc". That's right they use Spanish. Even Tagalog swear words can often be understood if you speak Spanish.

Oscar2

Oct 10, 2006, 9:22 AM

Post #23 of 24 (2140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Living in Mexico

And I bought my HDTV at Costco in Guad, although, I could have purchased it a Sams, Sorianas etc.

Endemically I hang out and consume more than I should at Costco. I just like shopping there. If you donít mind me asking, is the refund and return policy in Guad as liberal and consumer friendly as it is NoB?

I mean like if a big screen TV goes awry, even six months later or more, no problem. As long as you have a receipt, a refund is accorded to you with little to no questions. Is this exclusive to NoB or do you also enjoy this Costco policy in Guad?

Samís NoB has this same policy but not sure about Guad. Sorianas is Mexican based and from what Iíve heard their refund policy isnít as liberal.

Ed and Fran

Oct 10, 2006, 11:42 AM

Post #24 of 24 (2103 views)

Shortcut

Samís NoB has this same policy but not sure about Guad.

Can't speak to Sam's in Guadalajara, but the one time we tried returning something at Sam's in Tampico their policy seemed to be "Call the manufacturer, we don't deal with that." Could be different in other branches..........

Me, I don't expect to be able to return anything down here. My tack these days is to spend time locating good repairmen here in Tuxpan.

Regards

Ed

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4