Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

lisa

May 6, 2002, 10:05 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3956 views)

Shortcut

ATM cards at wal-mart?

Can't Post |
Ok, I think I have everything for my trip now, thanks to all you kind helpers out there! One more thing, I heard in Tepic they just put in a new Wal-mart, I will be close to that city and want to use my atm at wal-mart, like I do here. Is it the same?And, when I use an atm in Mexico will it tell me in English, and will my balance show in thier money or us money? Thank you for any help with this. Also, if anyone knows anything about schools on ranches, my 2 older boys need to go to school, they won't understand a thing, maybe home school for a year or so would be best??

Alice in Tepic

May 6, 2002, 1:05 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3955 views)

Shortcut

ATM cards at wal-mart?

Can't Post |
Hi!<p>If your ATM card is also a Visa or Mastercard you will have no problem using it at the Wal-mart check out counter. Otherwise, you can use your ATM card at the Banamex machine inside the store here in Tepic. Other locations operate the same way. ATM information is in Spanish. Money information is in pesos. It took us only a brief time to adjust to the change.<p>Have you collected information about what is not available here so you can decide to bring or not to bring favorite items with you? Chocolate chips and affordable vitamins are two that occur to me right now. E-mail me directly a list of your favorite things, if you wish. We will return availability info as soon as possible. <p>Where will you be living? My schoolteacher friend will be glad to give you more accurate school information when we know your location.<p>I am sending a link...see below...to our message board. Scroll down a bit to find a message from Angela, another local young mother from the US. Title of her entry is 'well hidden.' Story of our move to Mexico is at the bottom of the page. Read from bottom up for best tracking. Alice <p>
: Ok, I think I have everything for my trip now, thanks to all you kind helpers out there! One more thing, I heard in Tepic they just put in a new Wal-mart, I will be close to that city and want to use my atm at wal-mart, like I do here. Is it the same?And, when I use an atm in Mexico will it tell me in English, and will my balance show in thier money or us money? Thank you for any help with this. Also, if anyone knows anything about schools on ranches, my 2 older boys need to go to school, they won't understand a thing, maybe home school for a year or so would be best??<p>

andrew

May 6, 2002, 8:26 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3956 views)

Shortcut

ATM cards at wal-mart?

Can't Post |
Most ATM's will give at least some English instructions if they recognize that a card is from a different bank: interestingly enough, own-bank cards get Spanish-only treatment, at least at Bancomer. In any case, you'd soon learn. The balance is given in pesos, but may sometimes be unavailable whatsoever for non-Mexican cards (don't panick the first time you get the "0.00" balance on the receipt, they would still give you cash; if you need the balance just go to another bank or call your own bank in the States). <p>

Loco

May 6, 2002, 11:30 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3954 views)

Shortcut

VISA and Internet access

Can't Post |
Not sure about Mexico or the ATM's in the stores ... but in the US they don't accept VISA. Master Charge and AMEXPRESS only.<p>They also are offering $9.95 Internet access in the states and Mexico. Nothing in Seattle ... and only a few large cities in MX. MX speed max is 28,800.

Liz

May 12, 2002, 8:03 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3955 views)

Shortcut

Homeschool

Can't Post |
I homeschool our 3 children right now but plan to enroll them ins chool while we are in Mexico. This way they learn the language and culture rapidly, they cannot get this at home. Immigrant kids all over the world learn this way. It is far easier for kdis than adults.<p>Good private schools are very inexpensive in Mexico. You should be able to find something you like.

Jun 8, 2002, 9:41 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3954 views)

Shortcut

ATM cards at wal-mart?

Can't Post |

loco

Jun 8, 2002, 9:44 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3954 views)

Shortcut

ATM cards at wal-mart?

Can't Post |
Ok, I think I have everything for my trip now, thanks to all you kind helpers out there! One more thing, I heard in Tepic they just put in a new Wal-mart, I will be close to that city and want to use my atm at wal-mart, like I do here. Is it the same?And, when I use an atm in Mexico will it tell me in English, and will my balance show in thier money or us money? Thank you for any help with this. Also, if anyone knows anything about schools on ranches, my 2 older boys need to go to school, they won't understand a thing, maybe home school for a year or so would be best??

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4