Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Diver

May 8, 2002, 3:15 PM

Post #1 of 3 (6415 views)

Shortcut

Driving from Merida to Cancun

Can't Post |

hi everyone,<p>We'll be renting a car from Merida and driving to Cancun and back.
Any suggestions on what not to do? whats a dangerous route to
avoid? I believe its 170 miles, is that true? how long will it take
to drive? are the highways ok to drive on?<p>any suggestions?<p>thanks a bunch!<p>Diver

gail haslett

May 8, 2002, 8:53 PM

Post #2 of 3 (6395 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: You can take the toll road which will take about 3.5 hours and costs about 245 pesos one way. You can also take the free road which has towns and topes and takes about 6 hours. Road is good but slow because of towns. We usually pay one way and take the free road on the return route. Another option is to take the free road to tulum which is pretty nice, stay on the beach there overnight and then drive up to Cancun on the good road which is free.<p>Our experience (we live near Progresso) is that the Yucatan State is pretty safe.
: hi everyone,<p>: We'll be renting a car from Merida and driving to Cancun and back.
: Any suggestions on what not to do? whats a dangerous route to
: avoid? I believe its 170 miles, is that true? how long will it take
: to drive? are the highways ok to drive on?<p>: any suggestions?<p>: thanks a bunch!<p>: Diver<p>

Roly

Jul 18, 2002, 11:44 AM

Post #3 of 3 (6393 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
:
: hi everyone,<p>I have gone twice from Playa del carmen and Cancun to merida and I perfer to take the roads with tolls. Not because they are safer but because they are better paved. I dont suggest taking the road that goes through Coba because it is narrow and has no gas stations.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4