Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Moisheh

Sep 23, 2006, 7:17 PM

Post #1 of 19 (13188 views)

Shortcut

I actually miss my building inspectors

Can't Post | Private Reply
When I was still living full time in Canada and running a business I hated the building inspectors. They were always telling us that something had to be changed to meet "code" now that we live in Mexico I wish there were real inspectors. I cannot speak for other areas but in Sonora the quality of the so called tradesman sucks. The Albanils would not even be able to get jobs as helpers NOB. The cement is never mixed correctly. They do not use proper forms. Cement is poured in stages, one layer on top of another. Block laying is not a trade here. I would call it block placing. The mortar is not the right consistency and they do not use enough. Plumbers are just bad handymen. PVC pipes come apart as they do not use enough cement. Toilets are attached to floors without a flange. The PVC sewer pipe has no codigo. The PVC water lines without the codigo are junk. We are fortunate to have a good electrician. If there were honest inspectors the quality of the tradesmen would improve. Ther is a lack of trades schools and the old apprentice system does not work as the journeymen simply pass their bad habits on to the new guy. When an actual inspector appears most contractors just give him a tip. I know there is an electrical code but I doubt there are structural codes for residences. Ok I have vented!

Judy in Ags

Sep 23, 2006, 7:28 PM

Post #2 of 19 (13177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] I actually miss my building inspectors

I can't imagine putting up with that kind of work. Have you considered firing them and finding someone who will do quality work? Perhaps they are scarce, but they are available. Even when they are good, it takes quite a bit of hand-holding, but we do not have any of the quality of work that you talk about it. My husband wouldn't settle for that.

We don't miss or need inspectors. We have my husband inspecting every day.

Good luck!

patricio_lintz

Sep 23, 2006, 7:35 PM

Post #3 of 19 (13176 views)

Shortcut

Missing building inspectors is like missing old time highwaymen or pirates of the Carribean.

However, I know what you are talking about. In my book, i have a chapter "Construction Culture Shock."

Basically, as you found, you are the inspector, safety officer and construction manager. No one else will do these jobs adequatey.

www.makeyourhomeinmexico.com

Judy in Ags

Sep 23, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post #4 of 19 (13174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] I actually miss my building inspectors

Very well stated!

Moisheh

Sep 23, 2006, 9:47 PM

Post #5 of 19 (13157 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] I actually miss my building inspectors

firing them?? Why? The new workers would be the same. This is the norm in Sonora. I have already lowered my standards and they do not even meet that requirement.

Moisheh

Judy in Ags

Sep 24, 2006, 7:10 AM

Post #6 of 19 (13143 views)

Shortcut

I am truly sorry for you. I knew we were fortunate to have the workers we have, and now I appreciate them all the more. That is very sad to invest so much in something that is not up to your standards. I wish you well.

carlw

Sep 25, 2006, 1:39 PM

Post #7 of 19 (13099 views)

Shortcut

All the good tradesmen are up here in Dallas where they can start their own crews and make in excess of $ 100,000 per year, tax free. In my mostly Hispanic neighborhood, we have a number of people like that in the brick-laying, stoneworking and carpentry business. When they get ready to build their own homes, they do all the work on weekends and at night and produce these really fine homes with more detail work than most people could ever pay for. I do know that when their sons, nephews, etc., come up here to learn the work, they get a few months to prove themselves and if not, back to Mexico they go.

Oaxaca Hotel

Sep 26, 2006, 9:30 AM

Post #8 of 19 (13061 views)

Shortcut

That is so funny, no really. This is just so true. So we are not the only ones ...

Please see http://www.huatulco-real-estate.com/new-house7.htm

This is an update that we have been waiting to do for three months whilst we sack the atrocious architect that we thought was a friend.

All that has been said is true of the workers here. The best are in the states where the wages are so much higher.

We now have two engineers who check all the work, they are great and I would reccomend them to anyone.
Real Estate in Huatulco, Southern Mexico

Huatulco Real Estate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 26, 2006, 9:08 PM)

patricio_lintz

Sep 26, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #9 of 19 (13032 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oaxaca Hotel] I actually miss my building inspectors

I have been blessed with two albanil brothers and one son who have all returned from the states for family reasons. None intends to return. One's wife, Laura is our housekeeper.

Good workers are golden assets treat them with respeto. I always bring mine little gifts from the states. Tools from HARBOR FREIGHT AND HOME DEPOT are always appreciated.

www.makeyourhomeinmexico.com

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Sep 26, 2006, 4:35 PM)

punta4

Sep 28, 2006, 10:39 AM

Post #10 of 19 (12992 views)

Shortcut

We lucked out and had the same experience as Patricio. Our mason had spent several years working in Arizona before he returned to Baja Sur and the quality of construction of the first phase our future retirement home (completed last month) is much better than we expected. Our ex-pat friend and contractor didn't spend much time on-site supervising, and as absentee home owner/builders, we were at their mercy when it came to the quality of the workmanship.

We bought a home design computer program ("Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 6) and spent hours working out the details of the design and especially the mechanical aspects of our home since we are "outside of town" and require water delivery by truck and water storage, pumping, and are 100% solar power so things really have to work

My husband made up a book with schematics and plans for every possible detail we could think of all the way down to roof and patio drainage drawings, window and door locations, elevation and design-style drawings etc. We printed up all the pages and made a 3ring binder for the contractor and translated a version in to Spanish for the Mexican architect who drew up the official plans and engineering drawings.

But the best thing we did was to make up one more Plan Book in Spanish for José, the builder. He loved it and said it eliminated a lot of the guesswork for him because we had tried to think of every detail. He called the book the "bi-blay", and I cracked up when I heard him yell "donde está el Bible? " to one of his helpers. But we feel very lucky that José is so very conscientious- a few things weren't exactly as planned but he either fixed them or we changed our plans.

Now the electrical wiring was another story. The guy they had do the wiring had it so screwed up that it took my poor husband a week trying to figure it out and they eventually had to re-wire almost everything.

Oh well, our concrete cisterna, septic chambers, and all the block work and walls came out great !

patricio_lintz

Sep 28, 2006, 5:01 PM

Post #11 of 19 (12969 views)

Shortcut

Re: [punta4] I actually miss my building inspectors

That's a great story. I would really like to hear more. If you get a chance please post a location where we can all read about it.

Thanks.

JPL

punta4

Sep 28, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #12 of 19 (12950 views)

Shortcut

Thanks.

We take as many photos as we can and are continuing to learn as we go about the adventures of home building in rural Mexico, but I haven't put it all together in a blog or online format. Maybe that will be a winter project.

Rolly

Sep 28, 2006, 8:09 PM

Post #13 of 19 (12947 views)

Shortcut

Re: [punta4] I actually miss my building inspectors

Here's how I told my building stories in weekly updates: http://rollybrook.com/building_directory.htm

Rolly Pirate

caldwelld

Sep 29, 2006, 7:11 AM

Post #14 of 19 (12932 views)

Shortcut

Certainly not my experience. I have ronovated a small Mx home top to bottom and whenever I needed local pros to do some heavy lifting I found there work ethic and workmanship to be very good. If you have those kind of workers around suggest you look for others who will do what you ask of them.
dondon

arbon

Oct 10, 2006, 1:50 PM

Post #15 of 19 (12849 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Moisheh

"When I was still living full time in Canada and running a business I hated the building inspectors. They were always telling us that something had to be changed to meet "code""

That is not my experience in Canada, when plans are submitted for a building permit, they are stamped by the inspectors with "To conform to xxxx building code" and in the stamp was a space for the inspector to write which particular part of the code was pertinent.

So I do not understand why you had "qualified with a trade ticket" workmen in Canada not conversant with the building code, causing work to be redone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moisheh

Oct 10, 2006, 4:32 PM

Post #16 of 19 (12831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] I actually miss my building inspectors

Arbon: I dont know what your experience is in this matter but I must disagree. When doing small jobs such as installing new machinery that is electric powered it is not unusual for the electrician to apply for the permit and begin the work. The inspector MAY come out to the job and ask for minor changes. No plans are required. An example would be the location of a disconnect, fusing for a piece of equipment with multiple motors. Although there is a code book there are grey areas that are subject to interpretation. One inspector will require everything done a certain way and another will want it done differently. Example. WEe were running an undergound cable to provide service for an outbuilding. Normally this requires a trench of sufficient depth and the correct cable. This particular inspwector wanted 1 by's under the cable and backfill with sand for the first 6 inches. No other inspector had this reuirement. Sir you should not make such bold statements. Codes are interpreted differently in all jurisdictions. And yes my trades people are more than qualified and ticketed. It is obvious to me that you know not of what you speak! NONE of this has anything to do with construction in Mexico where codes are not normally followed or do not exist.

Moisheh

arbon

Oct 10, 2006, 5:19 PM

Post #17 of 19 (12821 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moishe] I actually miss my building inspectors

Can't Post |
Moisheh, in your OP, you were talking about "Building Inspectors" now you are talking about "Electrical Inspectors" two completely different departments, and out in the wilds of BC the electrical permit and electrical inspection is completely separate from the building permit and building inspection.

You were also talking about plumbing which in some Canadian municipalities, also have a separate inspection/inspector.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moisheh

Oct 10, 2006, 6:45 PM

Post #18 of 19 (12814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] I actually miss my building inspectors

My apologies: I did not know you lived on the left coast!

Moisheh

arbon

Oct 10, 2006, 7:56 PM

Post #19 of 19 (12804 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moishe] I actually miss my building inspectors

Can't Post |
Not only do we have building,plumbing, electrical, fire, and gas inspectors on the wet coast, we also have to have "Percolation" tests done before any residential building permit is issued, on property with no sewer at the property line.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4