Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

JohnnyBoy

Sep 14, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #1 of 19 (8084 views)

Shortcut

Which One is the Real Vallarta

Can't Post | Private Reply
We plan to spend Christmas in Puerto Vallarta. I have narrowed the hotel choices down to four...two in Puerto Vallarta and two in Nuevo Vallarta.

I wonder if there is anyone out there on MexConnect who can tell me the difference between Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta?

We have heard that Puerto Vallarta has some European characterstics and charm. That is appealing to us. We did not care for Cabo San Lucas and we did like La Paz and Todos Santos...if that gives you any idea. We suspect that Nuevo Vallarta is wall-to-wall timeshare hotels, gringos, and expense.

We don't like to stay couped up in our hotel, even though the hotel people do everything they can to keep us there. We like to walk around and see the place, getting off the beaten path, getting in among the locals...I am a gringo and my partner is Mexican. We both detest the touristy "shopping" and California-style (and priced) restaurants.

Can someone please give me something to go on? If we stay in Nuevo Vallarta will we still be able to get in and out of Puerto Vallarta easily and inexpensively enough to enjoy it?

Thanks to all in advance for your careful, considered, and thoughtful replies.

jb

sparks

Sep 14, 2006, 6:52 PM

Post #2 of 19 (8063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] Which One is the Real Vallarta

Lots of taxis so you can always get around. Really I prefer something like the Playa Los Arcos hotel in old town. It's an older Mexican hotel right on the beach ... with 2 newer properties if this one is too aged for you (not on the beach).

It's like .... everyone goes downtown to see the sights and have fun. The only time anyone makes a trip to Nuevo Vallarta is to a time share presentation

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Marta R

Sep 14, 2006, 7:21 PM

Post #3 of 19 (8058 views)

Shortcut

John's right. Puerto Vallarta has a wonderful old town: steep cobbled streets, beaches, restaurants and bookstores (there's a cafe+used book store called Una Pagina en el Sol that's a good place to waste a few hours drinking coffee, eating ice cream, and people-watching).

We're going back again next month -- the second time in old Vallarta and the fourth time altogether. The first two visits were to Nuevo Vallarta. Go there only if you want to go to the beach, stay on the beach, eat at the hotel, play golf, and generally not really be in Mexico at all. Unless you rent a car there is no easy or cheap way to get from there into the town.

Marta

DavidMcL

Sep 14, 2006, 7:43 PM

Post #4 of 19 (8053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta R] Which One is the Real Vallarta

- And recommendations for hotels etc. in the old town are . . . ?
David McL
WebJefe

Poncho32

Sep 14, 2006, 8:01 PM

Post #5 of 19 (8051 views)

Shortcut

Puerto Vallarta is quite a unique town that has maintained its quaint atmosphere regardless of its huge rise in population from the early seventies to today, especially the down town area and south of town.
If you stay in Vallarta I suggest you pick a down town place to stay by doing so it is quite easy to walk to just about everything you want to do, etc. beaches, fine restaurants and shopping.You might want to exsplore two web site for more information on Vallarta .
WWW.VALLARTATRIBUNE.COM
AND
WWW.VALLARTAINFO.COM
Bud

wendy devlin

Sep 15, 2006, 8:06 AM

Post #6 of 19 (8006 views)

Shortcut

JR who's lived full-time in Puerto Vallarta for nearly ten years, keeps his web-site up to date especially with hotel, restaurant and tour information. He also hosts a busy PV forum.

http://www.vallartascene.com/pvforum/

One of my favorite web-sites is the following Yahoo group for up-coming musical(all kinds) events in Puerto Vallarta. With this site, you can take advantage of seeing bands at clubs and attending concerts, in performance during your visit.

At Christmas time(which is when I've stayed there for a week or so) the joint(s) will be jumpin'!

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/...sic-puerto-vallarta/

And in La Zona Romantíca, especially on the street parallelling the ocean,(near Los Arcos, Hotel Marisol etc) the restaurants, lamp-posts etc. were decorated with hundreds of poinsettas, twinkling lights...and the New Year's parties left the restaurants and small bars and filled the street.

Conveniently blocked by cars at both ends of a long block.

Marta R

Sep 15, 2006, 9:48 AM

Post #7 of 19 (7994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Which One is the Real Vallarta

We stayed at the Alta Vista through a time-share arrangement (I think it's one of the few time-shares available in PV itself, but I may be wrong about that). The only problem was that the hotel is up on a hill above the Old Town, and our knees are as old as we are, so we ended up taking cabs up and down.

We were there last year in December, during the week celebrating La Vírgen de Guadalupe: you can find my LiveJournal report on it here:

http://motherweary.livejournal.com/#entry_6867

I'm sure that others here can suggest other hotels in the city as nice as the Alta Vista. You're going to have a great time.

Marta

Poncho32

Sep 15, 2006, 1:35 PM

Post #8 of 19 (7966 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta R] Which One is the Real Vallarta

There is a nice low rise hotel complex called Molino de Agua right on the Rio Cuale River and the Bay of Banderas and in the center of town that is a close walking distance to everything. Bud

sioux4noff

Sep 15, 2006, 2:52 PM

Post #9 of 19 (7953 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Which One is the Real Vallarta

The Molina de Agua has closed and is being dismantled. Seems there will be condos built on that site.
The Playa Los Arcos properties are popular, but I would not call any of them "newer."
There are many hotels listed on www.vallartaonline.com.
Another source for Vallarta info is www.allvallarta.com, which also has a message board.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Sep 15, 2006, 2:54 PM)

JohnnyBoy

Sep 15, 2006, 3:53 PM

Post #10 of 19 (7944 views)

Shortcut

Thanks so much to all of you who have posted so far. There is a lot of very useful information there that I intend to track and use.

I guess I did not make it clear that we are restricted to a choice from among four hotels. I won't get into the why's and wherefore's. But we have to choose one of these specific four.

I was not sure what the difference is between Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta. Is that like the difference between Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri? ( I think one Vallarta is in Nayarit and the other one is in Jalisco.)

But I think I have my answer from one of the posts or from something else I read somewhere online. Nuevo Vallarta is full of timeshare hotels and is not conveniently located to Puerto Vallarta. I understand a taxi ride is $8 or so.

So, I have chosen Puerto Vallarta. The hotel is in the Marina area and that apparently is a little out of the central district, but closer than Nuevo Vallarta would have been.

I very much appreciate the suggestions about activities, websites I can peruse, etc. And I appreciate ALL of you very much for your help.

jb

dougakin

Sep 15, 2006, 5:33 PM

Post #11 of 19 (7932 views)

Shortcut

I live in Mazatlan but have been to Puerto Vallarta several times. My first stay was in Nuevo Vallarta at the Paradise Village. This resort was very nice but I found myself spending most of my time in old town Puerto Vallarta. This resort was on a bus line so there was no problem getting into town. I have also stayed in Mismaloya which is just south of Puerto Vallarta and also on a bus line. You can take a local bus from Puerto Vallarta to the end of the bus line in Mismaloya for about 5 pesos and return for another 5 pesos. I spent 3 nights in Puerto Vallarta last month and stayed at the Villa del Palmar which was OK. One advantage of staying in Nuevo Vallarta is that it is closer to Bucerias which has less tourists and some good, inexpensive seafood restaurants. Enjoy your visit!

Doug

sioux4noff

Sep 15, 2006, 8:04 PM

Post #12 of 19 (7916 views)

Shortcut

The Marina area of Puerto Vallarta is very nice. There are a number of restuarants around the marina, some are very reasonable.
You can take the bus into town easily from the Marina, or catch acab.
Enjoy your trip!
We've lived in Bucerias for almost a year and love it!

Poncho32

Sep 16, 2006, 9:17 AM

Post #13 of 19 (7883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Which One is the Real Vallarta

That is Vallarta for you, we just left in April ,in 1970 our first of 36 years in Vallarta there was a sign just entering town from the south that showed the population at that time of 12,500 now what is it 250,000 or 350,000 it is hard to keep up.
Regardless we have been in a lot of sea coast towns in Mexico and we still prefer Vallarta over the rest,
mainly for all that the town has to offer.
Bud.

fountain

Oct 16, 2006, 9:58 AM

Post #14 of 19 (7715 views)

Shortcut

I wouldnt stay in Nuevo..
and from what you have stated you like to just go walk around etc
check out old town tons of great little places and you might want to check into possibly renting a condo 1 bedroom in old town,
even downtown has small cool lttle places i think the haul from Nuevo to go enjoy yourself is not only costly but timeconsuming.
i think they get $ 20- US from nuevo to downtown,
i went to the yacht club with a buddy from our home in Puerto Iguana the driver started out $35- i told my buddy we are taking the bus and negotiations started but i believe we still paid 15 or more One Way...

Jonas
Jonas Eklund FASTLOANS1.COM US AND MEXICO LOAN SOURCE MLS-VALLARTA.COM coming soon 925 516 4654 OFFICE 925 437 2279 CELL 322 221 2296 MEXICO Angelo assistant US lending & credit repair 925 525 7888 Becky cross border loan coordinater 925 513 2307
check out
for fun;
californiafastboats.com
and
for $ / property
fastloans1.com

(This post was edited by fountain on Oct 16, 2006, 10:00 AM)

patricio_lintz

Oct 16, 2006, 1:37 PM

Post #15 of 19 (7694 views)

Shortcut

The wierd thing is: they are in two different time zones!

www.makeyourhomeinmexico.com

sparks

Oct 16, 2006, 1:52 PM

Post #16 of 19 (7688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Which One is the Real Vallarta

The wierd thing is: they are in two different time zones!

Technically ... but rather than screw up airline schedules the whole bay operates on Central time

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

patricio_lintz

Oct 16, 2006, 2:29 PM

Post #17 of 19 (7682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Which One is the Real Vallarta

Yes, the airport is on the Nayarit side. It is in that time zone.

MazDee

Oct 16, 2006, 7:51 PM

Post #18 of 19 (7663 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Which One is the Real Vallarta

I am so sorry to see that Molina de agua is no more. I liked it. I was in PV a few months ago and stayed at Los Arcos. It is a really friendly place, not fancy but fun. Lots of things are in walking distance. I recommend it.

sioux4noff

Oct 16, 2006, 10:52 PM

Post #19 of 19 (7650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Which One is the Real Vallarta

Yes, the airport is on the Nayarit side. It is in that time zone

The airport is in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco. North side of town, but in PV.
Most places in Nuevo Vallarta and Bucerias use PV time, and it is often specifically marked as Vallarta time, or Jalisco time.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4