Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

scream

Sep 10, 2006, 1:40 PM

Post #1 of 15 (11422 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Bathroom fixtures

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am remodeling a condo in Manzanillo, could someone inform me if it is better to purchase some bathroom fixtures in Canada or is there plenty of choice in Mexico.

CB

sfmacaws

Sep 10, 2006, 1:58 PM

Post #2 of 15 (11417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scream] Mexican Bathroom fixtures

They are available in all types especially in urban or resort areas. We're on another coast but I've had no problem finding high end faucets and fixtures at tile and bathroom stores as well as medium priced ones (which would be cheap in the US) at Home Depot type stores. They are probably more expensive although some of the really gorgeous Italian ones I was looking at were no more expensive than they are in the US. On the Carribbean coast we have a problem with high mineral content water and I did find some good German faucets there that I was told would handle it better. The cheaper faucets - both purchased there and brought down - clog up and die within a year or so. So far the new ones have lasted 2 years with annual soaks in vinegar.

My guess, if you see some well made, mid-priced faucets in the US that you like and it is easy, bring them down. The mid range seems to be more lacking than either the really cheap or the really expensive.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

scream

Sep 10, 2006, 2:08 PM

Post #3 of 15 (11414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Mexican Bathroom fixtures

Thanks for your advice, I am sure we will find what we need in Mexico. I did visit some places in Manzanillo and did not find anything to our liking. However, we will visit some bigger cities when we are down there this fall.

Again, thanks for your advice.

CB

esperanza

Sep 11, 2006, 3:43 AM

Post #4 of 15 (11373 views)

Shortcut

While you're in Mexico, be sure to come to Guadalajara for bathroom fixtures. Guadalajara is only about 3.5 hours from Manzanillo. Avenida Niños Héroes is famous for its selection of tiles and bathroom furniture. Literally hundreds of large and small stores vie for your business. Each store features selections of tiles (both azulejo and cerámico), toilets, sinks, tubs (both standard and Jacuzzi), and all of the faucets and other plumbing supplies that your bathroom requires. You'll find cement, pegapiso (thinset), and junteador (grout, in a large selection of colors), and all the things you need to mix and spread them.

Prices and styles run from the least expensive to the most luxurious. On Niños Héroes, you can buy everything from an entire bathroom sink/toilet/tub/shower ensemble to a replacement top for your toilet tank.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

scream

Sep 11, 2006, 8:32 AM

Post #5 of 15 (11359 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexican Bathroom fixtures

Thanks for your information. My wife and I were indeed planning to go to Guadalajara to shop for some bathroom fixtures, we will for sure visit Avenida Niños Héroes. Besides the bathroom fixtures, do you know of any kitchen suppliers in the same city or perhaps in Manzanillo ??

The only other items I am looking for is some architectial wall pieces (like the attached), any idea were I could find something like that ?? Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers
CB
Attachments: Concrete wall feature.jpg (21.0 KB)

esperanza

Sep 11, 2006, 9:14 AM

Post #6 of 15 (11347 views)

Shortcut

Yes indeed, kitchen supplier stores also line up on Avenida Niños Héroes. You'll be amazed by the selection of stoves, refrigerators, sinks, faucets, etc etc etc available here. You'll find everything from the most traditional to the most up to the minute.

I'm going to PM you with more information.

Esperanza

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Cynthia7

Sep 12, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #7 of 15 (11292 views)

Shortcut

Have you seen the toilet and lavatory that look like a calla lily? Frida would love it!! It is extraordinary.

toddmc

Sep 12, 2006, 5:00 PM

Post #8 of 15 (11290 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the tips

We are currently building a house just outside of Patzcuaro and look forward to doing a few shopping trips.
While I think a great deal of it will come from this area, just love those sinks in Santa Clara de Cobre.
We will be doing some looking also in Tlaquepaque, and would love to hear of any favorite stores!

Thanks

Todd

mkirkpatrick

Nov 12, 2006, 7:38 PM

Post #9 of 15 (11179 views)

Shortcut

It is nice to see the good advice about bathroom fixtures etc.

However,I have always been fascinated by the(apparently) American fixation with beautiful bathrooms.

For all the time I spend in there-probably about 30 minutes per day-and don't hold parties or receive guests there-there seems to be an inordinate amount of time and expense spent on this area.

Just an observation.

Great forum,-and I have been helped a lot by you guys-thanks.

mkdutch

Nov 13, 2006, 9:51 AM

Post #10 of 15 (11152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkirkpatrick] Mexican Bathroom fixtures

Ditto the kitchen, mkirkpatrick...what is interesting is that those are the two room catagories that, according to realtors, sell a house. We expect to build in the near future, and have decided to prioritize the space and attention to each type of room based on the amount of time we typically spend in it. In our case it would be Great/Family room, Den/office, outdoor living, bedroom, kitchen, bath and lastly, all others...in that order. Dutch

mkirkpatrick

Nov 13, 2006, 12:40 PM

Post #11 of 15 (11139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Mexican Bathroom fixtures

Hi mkdutch,

We have been gradually replacing our 5th wheel,having added a living room,dining area and bedroom-the last things to be done are the small kirchen and bathroom.

We have friends with huge kitchens and bathroom a la Roman Empire,and I can assure you that their dinners are no better or worse than mine. I won't even compare the effective use of the respective bathrooms!

Enjoy your new home-just the way YOU like it!

sfmacaws

Nov 13, 2006, 11:41 PM

Post #12 of 15 (11114 views)

Shortcut

It's true that houses in the US sell on their kitchens and bathrooms, they are the most important rooms in the house for resale. I'm American enough I guess that I also would put more money into those rooms than others. Those are the two areas I most want to remodel in my condo in Akumal. I hate the tiny train car kitchens that are so common in Mexican homes and I won't even mention the bathrooms. My reasons are that bathrooms have become the main private space in US homes, a place to be alone and to pamper yourself. Kitchens are the rooms I live in, I like them to be a part of the main living area in the house and I like them to be large and well laid out. My personal opinion on the back room standard for kitchens in Mexican homes is that it is partly a reflexion of the importance of women and partly it is because it's mainly servents that use it. In a sense the 2 reasons are the same.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bloviator

Nov 14, 2006, 5:28 AM

Post #13 of 15 (11104 views)

Shortcut

Our American built house in Ajijic had a full bath with shower in the powder room off the dining room and kitchen. At first I could see no reason for such a room, then it dawned on me that if the owners were two fisted drinkers, perhaps a guest would get sick and have to take a shower. We have taken the shower out and now have the world's largest powder room.

mkirkpatrick

Nov 14, 2006, 6:18 AM

Post #14 of 15 (11101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Mexican Bathroom fixtures

Yes,I guess the size and location of rooms and facilities in your home are totally personal. And financial.

I have a friend back in Canada who was farm-raised,and when he built his new house,the focus was on the family kitchen-because that was where family life took place.It was huge!

I guess my smaller bathroom and kitchen are compensated by a casita in the yard,which has another shower,and a countertop kitchen. Just another option-and no line-ups at the other bathroom.

I sure enjoy reading about other people's plans for their dream homes in Mexico.

Cynthia7

Nov 14, 2006, 10:01 PM

Post #15 of 15 (11066 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Mexican Bathroom fixtures

Gillions of Mexican houses have the bathroom very close to the dining room. It is the most centrally located area and dining rooms and bathrooms make logical Mexican sense. Many Mexicans have asked why my bathrooms are near the bedroom..different culture..different location.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4