Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Bloviator

Sep 8, 2006, 6:07 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2321 views)

Shortcut

Scuba Diving

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am aware that there is scuba diving in Manzanillo. Does anyone have information about other diving areas between Manzanillo and PV?

Is the diving at Manzanillo interesting for accomplished divers?

sfmacaws

Sep 8, 2006, 3:42 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2270 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Scuba Diving

As someone who used to be addicted to scuba, I'll say that I was never as interested in diving the west coast of Mexico. I would do it of course just to go diving. In the Pacific, you are diving around rocks, wrecks and perhaps kelp beds. There aren't many reefs that I know of along that coast. There is one in the Baja (Cabo Pulmo) and I think that's it. I've gone diving in PV and thought it was not very interesting. If you are into shooting fish or collecting lobster it may be more entertaining for you. There isn't the array of hard and soft corals that are found on reefs in the Carribbean. So, it kind of depends on what kind of diver they are, if their main interest is in micro stuff that is found on a reef, photography, pretty reef fish, etc it is probably going to be disappointing compared to Cozumel or any Carribbean reef. If they are hunter/gatherers (like my friend Bobby) then they might love it. He dives all winter in the Baja shooting fish and catching lobster and he loves it.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bloviator

Sep 9, 2006, 6:26 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Scuba Diving

Thanks for the information. You always seem to have worthwhile input. What you said pretty much agrees with what I'm finding out.

I may not be able to convince my wife's son and daughter-in-law to dive in Manzanillo. It will be horrible, we'll have to drive across Mexico again to spend time with them, seeing all the great old cities, having interesting adventures and spending time in Cozumel or Belize. What a disappointment.

wendy devlin

Sep 9, 2006, 6:28 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Scuba Diving

There are only a few places on the Pacific side of Mexico for coral reefs.
Tenacatita near La Manzanilla and a small bay at the north end of Manzanillo are the two I know.

Highly recommend going out with PADI instructor, Susan Dearing of 'Underworld Scuba' in Manzanillo. Have a look at her web-site.
http://www.gomanzanillo.com/scubamex/

Susan has dedicated herself for over twenty years, to the people and underwater creatures of Manzanillo, Colima.

By now, you've probably guessed that she's also been a great friend to me and my family. Wendy

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4