Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Bloviator

Aug 26, 2006, 6:16 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2010 views)

Shortcut

Lethal Fish?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I received a private message correcting me as to the fish at the lakeside being lethal. The poster informed me that all the fish were from the ocean. I had always thought that also until told differently. Further, there are 1,400+ commercial fishing permits for the north side of the lake. Every day I see people out fishing on the lake. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that if more than a thousand people are fishing commercially in the lake, they must be catching some fish. If they are catching some fish, they must be selling them. If they are selling them, the Mexican restaurants along the lake are likely customers. All 1,400+ can't be selling them to the little man who clogs up the head of Colon in the village selling fish from a bucket and smelling up the neighborhood.

Unfortunately for my theory, the person who told me that the fish are all from the ocean is a very reliable and knowledgable source. This is probably irrelevant as only a very few non Mexicans eat at those restaurants anyway.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Aug 26, 2006, 7:55 AM)

Bubba

Aug 31, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #2 of 7 (1939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Lethal Fish?

dlyman:

I didn´t see you post stating that fish at lakeside was lethal but, while, the lake fish may not be lethal in small doses, it is widely sold in markets such as the Jocotepec municipal market, which has a fish monger always selling these repulsive creatures, and other markets catering to a poorer clientele. There is also one fish monger in the Ajijic tianguis that sells them. Then you have the Charales sold extensively at the Chapala peir that they love to tell you is farm raised. Fine, you show me a commercial Charales farm around here when these fish are abundant right in the lake at a fraction of the cost.

It is simply not true that all fish sold at lakeside is from the ocean. I would also question the source of fried fish, fish tacos and stuff like that around here that you might buy in restaurants or street stands. If you ask, of course they are going to tell you its from the ocean. Rule #1 around here is, if you don´t know for sure what it is don´t eat it.

Many very poor people are forced by circumstance to eat these poisonous fish and it´s a shame but there is nothing to be done about it.

Mexican vendors you don´t know and trust implicitly will tell you whatever you want to hear. Around Lake Chapala, every expat wants to hear that the fish is from the ocean. It´s a tradition.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 31, 2006, 8:18 AM)

esperanza

Aug 31, 2006, 8:25 AM

Post #3 of 7 (1933 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Lethal Fish?

Dlyman was talking about eating fish in the restaurants at Piedra Barrenada, in San Juan Cosalá. Nothing on the menus at those restaurants comes out of the lake. Lake Chapala could not sustain a shrimp, a crab, a red snapper, or any of the salt water fish/seafodd that comes from the coast via the Mercado del Mar in Zapopan.

The fish that are caught in the Lake are predominately tilapia and carp. Neither is on the menu of any of the restaurants I've enjoyed at Piedra Barrenada.

Try the huachinango dorado or the empanadas de camarón at Las Gaviotas. Try the coctel de camarón at Las Olas. Let's go one of these weeks, don Bubba.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Rolly

Aug 31, 2006, 8:39 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Lethal Fish?

"empanadas de camarón" Now there's a nice idea. I had my first gordita de camarón recently; it was wonderful -- well, actually it was too greasy, but that was the way it was cooked, the taste was fine.

How about a recipe for the empanada de camarón filling?

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Aug 31, 2006, 8:49 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Lethal Fish?

Esperanza:

True, I did not know he was speaking specifically of restaurants at Piedra Barrenada about which I know absolutely nothing. I have never eaten a single meal at that restaurant row or the one in Chapala as I have a prejudice that comes from my experiences on the U.S. Gulf and West Coasts and in Europe that lead me to believe that most restaurants right on the seas or docks catering to tourists are not to be trusted in general. For instance, most people living in San Francisco for any length of time would never eat in most restaurants in Fisherman´s Wharf, especially if they are in one of those restaurant row locations along the bay. If you eat on a boat dock on the French Riviera the same general rule applies I bow to your experience and plan to join you at Piedra Barrenada some day.

I will say that the generally mediocre restaurants one finds at Fisherman´s Wharf, along the touristy areas of the French Riviera or, say, along the Oregon Coast, do unfairly reflect on some very good restaurants located among these restaurants and favored by knowledgable locals. Las Gaviotas must be among them around here..

I don´t believe anything I said contradicts what you are saying and that is that these disgusting carp and talapia are widely sold around the lake by both fish mongers and many restaurants. There are many restaurateurs in Mexico in general who wouldn´t hesitate to call a fried carp a red snapper any day of the week or put carp in their tacos. That´s the reason I said you should be sure you trust your vendor or restaurateur before you eat fish or shellfish in a restaurant as you do with Las Gaviotas.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 31, 2006, 9:16 AM)

arbon

Aug 31, 2006, 9:31 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1917 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I don't think many restaurateurs in Mexico, the States, or Canada in general would know what fish they are buying, (even when they fillet a whole fish themselves) "red snapper" is now just a generic term on a menu for white fish, hopefully a bottom fish of the "Rock Cod" persuasion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DoDi2

Aug 31, 2006, 11:05 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1905 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
For instance, most people living in San Francisco for any length of time would never eat in most restaurants in Fisherman´s Wharf, especially if they are in one of those restaurant row locations along the bay.

Not true. I live in the S.F. Bay Area and I have eaten at those restaurants.

But I order steak.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4