Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

gaucha

Aug 30, 2006, 1:11 PM

Post #1 of 18 (1572 views)

Shortcut

vehicle importation

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am planning a move to Chapala and I am trying to get information on vehicle importation . I am going to have a FM3 visa , I understand I am allowed one vehicle , but I have two one truck and one car. The truck will be going into MEx. with a horse trailer . Do I have to import the car and what are the fees and is the process complicated?.I also understand that the process has to be done by an Agente Aduanal - or perhaps I would be better off selling the car and buying one in MEx, I have inquired on prices on Toyota Mex. and they of course give me the lip that it is better to buy there, less expensive on the long run , but I just read one thread in which they mentioned high annual automobil Taxes in Mex. I would appreciate info from any of you!!. I think that this forums are terrific they have arrived at the status of INDISPENSABLE KNOWLEDGE!! for me. Thanks to all of you.

1ajijic

Aug 30, 2006, 2:30 PM

Post #2 of 18 (1547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gaucha] vehicle importation

If you bring in a truck and trailer, that's your vehicle allotment. The only way any other vehicle is coming in is with another person's title, passport, and credit card. You are allowed one nonmexican vehicle. You may buy as many mexican vehicles as you want.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Rolly

Aug 30, 2006, 4:10 PM

Post #3 of 18 (1530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] vehicle importation

Chris is right. One vehicle means just that -- one. Sell your car and buy one in Mexico. Yes, it will cost more, but in the long run you'll be better off with Mexican plates.

Rolly Pirate

Bloviator

Aug 30, 2006, 9:37 PM

Post #4 of 18 (1489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] vehicle importation

If you have a partner, he/she can bring in a vehicle also. If you have no partner, why do you need two vehicles?

jerezano

Aug 30, 2006, 9:39 PM

Post #5 of 18 (1487 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] vehicle importation

Hello,

Rolly's advice is usually very good. On the matter of a Mexican plated car being the best in the long run, it all depends.

My only car is a Mexican plated one. Nevertheless, each person needs to consider his/her own needs very carefully. After many years driving my Texas plated cars (some 15 years) here in Mexico I switched, but only after long and careful comparison of the economic and convenience benefits.

If you do buy a Mexican plated car try to buy one more than 10 years old. That is when the Tenencias run out. On a brand new car, the Federal Tenencias (a yearly tax added to your plating costs) can cost a whale of a lot more than your Insurance. Tenencias if I remember correctly start at about 10% of the Mexican Federal Government book value of your car and drop 1% a year which gives the 10 year run out period. On the other hand the USA insurance on a USA plated car can be prohibitive when added to the Mexican insurance requirement and plating costs in the USA, etc.

Now if you are a pair your companion can bring in his/her own car using his/her name. He/she must have an independent credit card (the card cannot be an additional card on your own account) and it must be a Non-Mexico Account card, or he/she will have to deposit a bond at the border. That in itself is a major inconvenience. The bond will be returned when the vehicle is taken back out of Mexico.

Hope all this helps.

Adios. jerezano.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Aug 30, 2006, 10:14 PM

Post #6 of 18 (1481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] vehicle importation

Just curious. Are 20 to 30 YO VW Bugs available SoB and about how much would they cost. Or any make of car that old for that matter.... ??
Getting older and still not down here.

1ajijic

Aug 31, 2006, 6:25 AM

Post #7 of 18 (1463 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] vehicle importation

A friend just bought an 02 bug at the car tiangis in Guadalajara for 28000 pesos. We saw six bugs ranging from a beautifully restored classic to a purple hotrod. Our mechanic went with us and he found about 3000 pesos work to be done on the the one he bought.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

gaucha

Aug 31, 2006, 1:34 PM

Post #8 of 18 (1413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] vehicle importation

thanks for your advise,to answer about the need for two cars, very simple I have horses and I need a truck and horse trailer to haul them , I do not drive the truck around otherwise , (gas !!!!). I think that it sounds as if buying a car in MExico for Mexico use is the best way to go. I am always aprehensive about old cars , but I shall check it out once I am there, How do Mexican residents afford the impuestos?
Isabel

esperanza

Aug 31, 2006, 2:18 PM

Post #9 of 18 (1404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gaucha] vehicle importation

The annual federal tax for owning a vehicle is called tenencia. The tax is levied for the first 10 years of a new vehicle's life; the amount is less each year than the year prior.

Many Mexicans don't own cars at all, but rely on public transportation, bicycles, horses, burros, and shank's mare. Many others own and drive cars that are more than 10 years old.

However, don't be persuaded that Mexicans can't afford the taxes on new vehicles. There are thousands upon thousands of Mexicans driving luxury cars, from the Cadillac Escalade to the most costly BMW, from the latest model Chevrolet Suburban to the Porsche Boxster and huge double-cab pickups--not to mention the all-intimidating Hummer. The list is endless. The other day I saw a bright red Ferrari whiz down my city street. In addition, thousands and thousands more own new or late model mid-range vehicles of every brand. Many, many Mexicans have barrels of either old or new money, far more money than you and I will ever know.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 31, 2006, 2:49 PM)

bournemouth

Aug 31, 2006, 2:44 PM

Post #10 of 18 (1397 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] vehicle importation

Esperanza - maybe that red Ferrari was the one we saw in Ajijic at the Pemex the other weekend, accompanied by a white Lamborghini - the combination was stopping cars in their tracks on the Libramento. Yup - there's plenty of money around. As an aside I noticed when picking up tickets for the Gala de Mariachi at the VFG arena, that all the 2900 peso tickets for the Vicente Fernandez concert later in September, are already sold out.

DavidMcL

Aug 31, 2006, 4:30 PM

Post #11 of 18 (1377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] vehicle importation

Quoting Esparanza: "The annual federal tax for owning a vehicle is called tenencia. The tax is levied for the first 10 years of a new vehicle's life; the amount is less each year than the year prior. "

The rate descends at the same rate as the vehicle's age:
year one = 10%
year two = 9%
year three = 8%
and so on.
Note though, that the base amount used as the vehicle's value is the original PURCHASE value and not the depreciated value.

David
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Aug 31, 2006, 4:31 PM)

Gringal

Aug 31, 2006, 4:49 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] vehicle importation

Thanks for the info.

Gave me pause for thought about that hot new Ferrari in the window.

esperanza

Aug 31, 2006, 5:00 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] vehicle importation

The one with the waggily tail? ;^)

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Aug 31, 2006, 5:50 PM

Post #14 of 18 (1352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] vehicle importation

"The rate descends at the same rate as the vehicle's age:
year one = 10%
year two = 9%
year three = 8%
and so on.
Note though, that the base amount used as the vehicle's value is the original PURCHASE value and not the depreciated value."

Am I misunderstanding something here?
If I buy a 5 year old car for say $5,000, and new it was $10,000 do I pay the tax on the original purchase price of 10,000 and then the rate goes down 1% per year for 10 years becoming 0% on the cars 15th birthday?

Please tell me I'm wrong......

Don

Aug 31, 2006, 6:07 PM

Post #15 of 18 (1346 views)

Shortcut

If you buy a car that is 5 years old, you pay tenencia until the car is 10 years old.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Aug 31, 2006, 6:22 PM

Post #16 of 18 (1340 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] vehicle importation

Thank you. Now all I have to do when I get down there is find a 15 to 20 YO beater and pay a few thousand pesos to have it checked out and fixed up so it runs sort of dependently.....

patricio_lintz

Aug 31, 2006, 7:12 PM

Post #17 of 18 (1334 views)

Shortcut

I recently had my 1991 air cooled VW repaired & repainted for $200. Looks and runs great. Why buy a 20 or 30 y.o.? The Mexican air-cooled VW remained the same until 2002. There is a very collectible 2002 Anniversity (last issue) version which has allof the accessories ever available on the Mexican bug. I would like to find one of those. It sold new in 2002 for around $8000 USD equivalent.

I paid only $15000 pesos for mine. Have driven it all over Jalisco and Michoacan. I'll try to get an updated pix online.

Photo is as bought:

http://www.flickr.com/...=33252700&size=l

See my new site:

www.makeyourhomeinmexico.com

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Aug 31, 2006, 8:22 PM

Post #18 of 18 (1312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] vehicle importation

Hi John,
Well, when I say 20 - 30 YO Bug, it's primarily just to get one as cheaply as possible and put $2 - 3 hundred into it (if necessary)to make it somewhat reliable. I figure if it has a few dents in it, I won't mind too much if someone hits me or sideswipes it on the street, and I'll only have to worry about liability insurance. I'll be coming down in a motorhome and don't want to have to mess around dragging one behind me and surely don't want to drive a 34 ft RV every where I go. If after a year or two I decide to not stay SoB, I should be able to dump it fairly easy, even if it means giving it away to someone who needs a car. Would be nice to find one with air conditioning though Ha Ha.
Being on social security & wanting to keep my little nest egg in the bank for emergencies means I need to think seriously about being cheap.

Have a good weekend.
Ron

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4