Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

tonyburton

Aug 29, 2006, 9:42 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2946 views)

Shortcut

Africa in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
The latest edition of Callaloo has a fascinating section entitled "Africa in Mexico" featuring interviews with selected Afromestizos in the southern section of Veracruz state.
http://callaloo.tamu.edu/callaloohome2.html
Regrettably, the volume is only available at present via a subscription either to the journal itself, or to an academic on-line library system like Muse.
At some point in the next few weeks, I'll try and write a short review providing further information.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Aug 30, 2006, 10:31 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Africa in Mexico

¡Hola, amigos costeños!
Coyollilo is about 40 minutes North North East of Xalapa, on the road to El Castillo, then turning east headed for Actopan. The area, much dryer than Xalapa, has a lot of sugar cane, "chayotes", papayas and mangos. The people of Coyolillo are predominantly Black ancestry, though that is changing quickly, even apparent to me in the 14 years that I have been going there. Carnaval, a week after the Carnaval in Veracruz, is the special celebration when the younger men dress up in the brightly colored cloth robes and wooden bull masks, then parade through the streets of the town. There are 2 pictures of the Coyollio outfits on my article "Xalapa de mis sueños" http://www.mexconnected.com/...udley/rdxalapa1.html
You will enjoy the Coyollio area, with rafting on the "Descabesadero" at Chichuasen, buying "jamoncillo"(martzapan) in Trepiche del Rosario.
¡Buen viaje, estimados amigos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

tonyburton

Aug 30, 2006, 10:54 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2917 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Africa in Mexico

The latest Callaloo articles follow on from a special section in Callaloo Winter 2004 edition which was devoted to the life and culture of Coyolillo. (Great pictures, Roy!) This second set of articles deals with the people in three coastal comunities south of the city of Veracruz: Alvarado, Mandinga and Tlacotalpan.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4