Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Aug 27, 2006, 7:30 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2493 views)

Shortcut

Otro domingo hermoso en Xalapa

Can't Post | Private Reply
¡Hola, amigos costeños!
We finally got a non-rainy Sunday in Xalapa, and I took a great mountain bike ride up to Rancho Viejo and then down the very bumpy road to Briones where my wife meet me at the Don Gregorio restaurant for lunch. You will also have to try the delicious trout made with acuyo that Doña Mari prepares on the way to "La Presa" or Doña Socorro on the way to Cinco Palos. You can have an excellent meal for less than US$6!
Muy bien, ya me voy a dar la vuelta del Parque Juárez con mi perrita, Fiona.
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

eportis

Aug 27, 2006, 7:50 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2490 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Otro domingo hermoso en Xalapa

Roy:

We made it up to Rancho Viejo before we left. It was a nice drive, but I am glad I went by auto rather than bike. I notice a couple of trout restaurants there, and of course there is the well known Tio somebody in Coatepec, where they raise as well as cook their trout. We also ate at a much more rustic trout farm and restaurant outside of Huatusco. Are trout farms and restaurants fairly common in Mexico, or is it something confined largely to the mountains of Veracruz?

Ed

Ed and Fran

Aug 27, 2006, 8:12 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eportis] Otro domingo hermoso en Xalapa

Are trout farms and restaurants fairly common in Mexico, or is it something confined largely to the mountains of Veracruz?

We've run into them in the mountains in Puebla and Hidalgo (along the highway heading west from Poza Rica towards Mexico City), and also between D.F. and Toluca in the State of Mexico. I'd suspect they can be found elsewhere as well.

Good eating.

Ed & Fran

esperanza

Aug 27, 2006, 11:27 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Otro domingo hermoso en Xalapa

Michoacán is famous for its trout farms, especially those in Uruapan and near Lake Pátzcuaro.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4