Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Bubba

Aug 26, 2006, 10:15 AM

Post #1 of 18 (1655 views)

Shortcut

An Open Proposal

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have proposed to a couple of the the moderators that Mexico Connect consolidate some of its forums into a forum I propose should be called The Southern Mexico Forum and would possibly include the southern band of states including Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Campeche, Tabasco, Veracruz, Chiapas, Oaxaca and possibly Guerrero. I think this would bring more interest to such a regional forum and make it more informative and entertaining.

I thought of this when we decided to move to Chiapas and after many road trips in Chiapas, Oaxaca and the Yucatan Peninsula. I know, as a new resident (soon to be, anyway) of San Cristobal that my interests extend to the neighboring regions of both the Pacific and Gulf/Caribbean Coasts. While Chiapas is obviously a Pacific state, it has much in common with the other states I mentioned above. Perhaps a consolidation will give a kick start to forums concerning this fabulous region. After all, people attracted to travel in Chiapas will, in my opinion. be attracted to the whole of Sourthern Mexico and neighboring Central America..

I would appreciate some feedback on this idea from other posters. Maybe I´m missing something but it´s worth discussing.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 26, 2006, 10:17 AM)

Ed and Fran

Aug 26, 2006, 10:34 AM

Post #2 of 18 (1630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] An Open Proposal

I'm not so sure a simple reorganization of forums will generate much more interest in these areas. Fact of life is that there aren't many people here on MexConnect that have much active interest in those areas, at least not enough to bother posting.

I think you could move Tabasco from the Gulf Forum and put it with Chiapas, Guerrero, Oaxaca and call it the Southern Mexico forum. Won't change much, no one has ever posted anything in the Gulf Forum about Tabasco, at least that I remember.

Veracruz isn't really a southern state. Here in Tuxpan we're farther north that you guys in the Lake Chapala area. The port of Veracruz is about at the same latitude as Mexico City. I'll grant you that the Coatzacoalcos area is pretty far down there, but they ought to be separate and join with Tabasco anyway. ;-) I think having the Gulf Coast area (Tamaulipas and Veracruz) on a separate forum makes sense, but there just aren't many of us MexConnecters who hang out here.

I have always been surprised that the Yucatan forum never generates much traffic. Maybe it's because there are so many tourism/travel oriented forums that do have a lot of traffic, there's no need for people to post questions here.

Just one opinion, for what it's worth.

Regards

Ed

smokesilver

Aug 26, 2006, 11:15 AM

Post #3 of 18 (1622 views)

Shortcut

And maybe simply start up "Bubba's Forum".

Gringal

Aug 26, 2006, 11:24 AM

Post #4 of 18 (1617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smokesilver] An Open Proposal

Not a bad idea. No more deletions, locks, etc. And no subject would be off limits. Furthermore, it could include ALL of Mexico. How about it, Bubba? It's a cheap treat.

Bubba

Aug 26, 2006, 12:18 PM

Post #5 of 18 (1609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] An Open Proposal

I will consider BUBBABABBLE.MR. Of course I will expect a royalty from the proprietor for all non-deleted posts. If you wish to discuss this with me David, call my agent.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 26, 2006, 12:19 PM)

VSOP

Aug 26, 2006, 2:16 PM

Post #6 of 18 (1579 views)

Shortcut

I might even pay an annual membership for the Bubbababble Forum, but I think all talk of how wonderful the state of Chiapas and particularly the Pacific Oaxaca Coast are should be strictly prohibited. You've already priced me out of Ajijic and San Miguel!

No hay rosas sin espinas . . .

sfmacaws

Aug 26, 2006, 4:43 PM

Post #7 of 18 (1555 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VSOP] An Open Proposal

I have always been surprised that the Yucatan forum never generates much traffic. Maybe it's because there are so many tourism/travel oriented forums that do have a lot of traffic, there's no need for people to post questions here.

Yes, I've thought about that too. I think that most people who are interested in the Yucatan are going on vacation, at least that's how it seems to me on other forums like Lonely Planet. I still read the Merida forums because they are people who live there which is more interesting to me. The ex-pats I know along the Caribbean coast are heavily involved in the tourist trade, it's difficult not to be, and their interests are not the same as retirees in Ajijic. Course, that's a big generalization but probably true for the majority. Also, despite being father away from the US most of them are in closer contact and return more often. This is due to the relatively cheap airfares to Cancun, the back and forth of visitors and friends all winter and the desire to escape the summer weather. Because of that and the proximity of Belize, many people who live there never bother to get an FM3 and spend many, many years on FMT's. Last year I heard form friends that it was getting more difficult to get 180 days at the Belize border and some friends who have lived there for over 10 years were actually getting FM3's. I'm even thinking about it as I may want to sell my place in the next few years and there are advantages.

I love many parts of southern Mexico and have spent more time there than in the north even though I obviously travel through the north twice a year. There are spots that are not so hospitable though, the state of Tabasco is one. Probably no one would care which sector it went into but it definitely belongs in the south. We have a bad joke about Tabasco, we call it pestilence. That said, there are a lot of ex-pats there because there are a lot of foreigners who work for Pemex or contract companies there. I'm guessing those people have their own support with each other and with their company and rarely need this kind of forum. Ed would know if that's really true. The rest of the south has ex-pats, particularly the states of Yucatan and Chiapas, but I don't know why they are not attracted to a forum like this. Perhaps they have their own places on a Yahoo group or somewhere free or perhaps they are not using the internet much. My guess is that they are a different demographic, perhaps younger and still working.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Gringal

Aug 26, 2006, 5:07 PM

Post #8 of 18 (1543 views)

Shortcut

How about a "Bubbalicious" blog section? Do a restaurant review as part of the package. Sell those recipes. Get lots of info from subscribers and sell the lists.

roni_smith

Aug 27, 2006, 7:21 AM

Post #9 of 18 (1452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] An Open Proposal

I think Jonna is right on the vacation travel to the Caribbean side of the Yucatan - but I have notice a trend of more people moving there full-time, both in early retirement and in working/business life.

I have been reading a Mérida board also, and we are taking our first trip there in December - though we are just spending a few days there before heading to veg-out on Caribbean beaches for 10 days. Will be there for Domingo en Mérida, though.

When it comes to thoughts of living on the Yucatan Peninsula - the interior and the Gulf side are far less expensive and developed than the Caribbean side.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

wendy devlin

Aug 27, 2006, 7:47 AM

Post #10 of 18 (1443 views)

Shortcut

It's of course, up to the webjefe, how forums are organized, however Bubba's idea of consolidating the various forums, imho, has merit.

Why?

Most of the people both posting and looking for information, seem to be interested in the northern half of Mexico.

Much of the 'south' of Mexico, perhaps outside of the Yucatan peninsula and Oaxaca seems to be a cultural unknown. A study of history suggests that there is a great deal about this area to be made 'known' and possibly shared.

Even to Mexican friends and acquaintenances, living in the northern half, the southern half is often as foreign to them as to this, non-Mexican.

Perhaps ms geri with her eight years, living now in Oaxaca and Bubba, newly arriving in Chiapas can be our first foreign correnspondents:)

Oh yes, and Dodi, if she retires to that Zapotec village.

A consolidated forum would help tie in the discussion threads of experiences throughout the region.

Bubba

Aug 27, 2006, 9:31 AM

Post #11 of 18 (1417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] An Open Proposal

Thanks to all of you for your input. I spend a lot of time in Oaxaca State, Chiapas and Yucatan and I will tell you that these areas have much in common incuding some heavy duty poverty and inequitable wealth distribution but I will also tell you that the ignorance about this area among foreigners and northern Mexicans alike is apalling.

Since we bought a home in San Cristobal, I have been amazed at the comments to me about crime and corruption and fear that I have heard from Mexicans and foreign residents alike. People seem frightened of this region I defined as Southern Mexico (except for Veracruz state). The incredibly beautiful nation of Guatemala also seems to raise this visceral fear in people. That´s OK by me but grossly unfair to this extraordinary region and its people.

I will not argue that poverty is not a huge problem down there but I think a forum concentrating on this region as an entity would help overcome some of this fear exacerbated by unfamiliarity.

Bubba ain´t afraid of this place - Bubba is mesmerized by it.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 27, 2006, 9:38 AM)

Gringal

Aug 27, 2006, 9:42 AM

Post #12 of 18 (1407 views)

Shortcut

"Bubba ain´t afraid of this place - Bubba is mesmerized by it. "

So said the bird upon meeting the snake. It's pretty plain that you are in a state of enchantment. In love.
It will be great to hear how it goes for you. But please, don't leave out the warts. Otherwise, you'll have a stampede of gringos heading there to partake of the magic. Then what? Peoria redux.

Bubba

Aug 27, 2006, 10:21 AM

Post #13 of 18 (1390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] An Open Proposal

So said the bird upon meeting the snake. It's pretty plain that you are in a state of enchantment

One of my favorite jokes, Gringal. You know it of course, After the swami saved the snake the snake bit him and, as the swami lay dying he said, "How could you do this to me, I saved your life!" and the snake says, "But you knew I was a snake when you saved me."

I was complaining of the ignorance that assigns barbarism and stupidity to others residing afar. I have no delusions about Chiapas or Guatemala. I also find Mississippi attractive and exotic though many people I know would assign that place to the trash heap of history. Every place is good and bad and that´s what makes life fun.

I must admit that I ain´t selling my house in Ajijic until I am comfortable that Comandante Zero and all those illegal Guatemalan immigrants have demonstrated a tendency to live amicably with a fat gringo. I may be stupid but I´m not insane..

Gringal

Aug 27, 2006, 11:10 AM

Post #14 of 18 (1373 views)

Shortcut

"I must admit that I ain´t selling my house in Ajijic until I am comfortable that Comandante Zero and all those illegal Guatemalan....."

I always figured you were a smart cookie. Good plan.

The Koan I heard was "The Scorpion and the Turtle", with the Scorpion saying: "But it's my nature" as they sank in the stream together. Same deal, though.

sfmacaws

Aug 27, 2006, 3:28 PM

Post #15 of 18 (1329 views)

Shortcut

Every place is good and bad and that´s what makes life fun.

God Bubba, you keep talking like that and we'll make an RVer out of you some day.

It's the lure of the place over the hill that keeps us from staying put in our lovely condo on the Caribbean. Well, that and all the tourists. We're pretty well decided on selling but we can't find anyplace else to buy and we'll need to do that. It's a nice problem but still a problem.

We have narrowed the world down to Mexico - although a colonial in Antigua was very tempting - but we can't narrow it down to an area. There is always the promise of something better down the road. Now Panama is tempting me although I haven't quite convinced Mimi that a drive down there needs to happen. We've spent time in all of the tourist/ex-pat areas of Mexico except Xalapa and Veracruz and we are planning to visit there for a few weeks this fall. I spent a lot of time in Veracruz over 30 years ago and know that while I love the city and the music and the food, the weather is difficult even for a heat lover like me. Of course, the same is true of Merida and it is still high on my list of places to buy. I love the Pacific coast of Mexico and I love the state of Jalisco, they are all high on the list as well. I'm not an SMA kind of girl, more because of the altitude, cold and dust than the gringos. In fact, the weather around Lake Chapala is pretty good although too cold in the winter but then you are only a few hours from the beach - which is another plus.

You see, it's as difficult to decide when you are looking at a full buffet as when you don't know what's going to be on the plate.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sfmacaws

Aug 27, 2006, 3:31 PM

Post #16 of 18 (1326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] An Open Proposal

Oh, and Roni. Send a PM when you get to the coast and maybe we can all have dinner. We will be in Akumal by the 17th of Dec and aren't sure yet if we will take a trip over xmas or not. If we are there, we'd love to meet you and your family.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

roni_smith

Aug 27, 2006, 4:38 PM

Post #17 of 18 (1306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] An Open Proposal

We arrive in Playa del Carmen on the 23rd. Will do the PM. The family is just me and Kathy and we'd be delighted to meet up.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

DoDi2

Aug 28, 2006, 9:44 AM

Post #18 of 18 (1221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] An Open Proposal

:-) I just sold my home, I'm working to save a bit more, and then plan to be living in Oax by next July.

My sources tell me that the teachers have been moving activities to the outlaying towns around Oax City. For instance the ladies who sell tortillas in the Ocotlan mercado were bien enojada because the teachers had closed it down.

Also the municipio government in San Antonino was taken over by the teachers when they wouldn't agree to support them.

My friends feel things are getting a bit dicey. All it could take is for the teachers to try taking over the government in a town where the locals don't cotton being taken over.
Teachers for the most part are not locals, they are assigned by the union to schools that are not normally in thier home area. This became the norm after there were problems getting teachers who were also locals to participate in strikes since they were more concerned about students missing school and parents getting exasperated when they actually lived and were part of the community... so the union solved the loyalty problems by scattering thier assignments. I say this as a person who is naturally left leaning. In the Oax political struggle I don't see it as exacly bad guys against good guys, but rather as bad guys (the governor)against less-bad guys (the teachers) and a bunch of good people getting sucked into the whole thing but not gaining much from it. I.e. lo mismo como siempre.

I hope it all calms down rather than intensifying further for the sake of everyone. And I wish the idiot governer would just leave... what an a** he is for hanging on.

:-)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4