Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

dleach

Aug 23, 2006, 6:35 PM

Post #1 of 7 (657 views)

Shortcut

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone tried Yahoo! Messenger with Voice down at Lakeside? It sounds like it might be a cheap way to call back to the States if you have internet access.

What other alternatives do you suggest?

Thanks

David

esperanza

Aug 23, 2006, 6:42 PM

Post #2 of 7 (653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dleach] Yahoo! Messenger with Voice

Yahoo works, MSN voice works, they all work, especially if you have high-speed internet service. Of course, the person you're calling has to have the same program you do.

However, I like http://www.iconnecthere.com and its North American Plan. For $5.95/month, you get 400 minutes of call time from Mexico to the USA or Canada. You call from your computer, they answer on their telephone. They don't need to download anything. The voice quality is pristine, substantially better than the regular telephone--there's nothing better, IMHO. I've even used it with dialup, back in the old days.

[edited to fix link]

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Aug 24, 2006, 8:21 AM)

bola_blanca

Aug 23, 2006, 7:10 PM

Post #3 of 7 (645 views)

Shortcut

Yahoo Messenger with Voice for calls from your computer to phones in the US and Canada is currently a better deal than iconnecthere, but that can always change in this hyper-competitive VOIP market. 1 cent a minute with calls to 800 numbers being free. Works great if you have better than a dial-up connection.

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and he spends all day in a boat drinking beer."

dleach

Aug 23, 2006, 7:14 PM

Post #4 of 7 (644 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Yahoo! Messenger with Voice

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice advertises that it is also able to call from the computer to other phones.

It states, "Use your PC, web connection, and Yahoo! Messenger with Voice to make PC-to-phone calls to and from countries around the world. You'll find great rates, not to mention fun options like sound effects. Plus calls are easy to make, manage, and customize around how you phone."

However, when I just checked the fine print, it stated that it was only available in the U.S. which is "confusing" when it states that you can make PC-to-phone calls to and from countries around the world.

Sorry for the inconvenience. As always, thanks for your suggestions and guidance Esperanza. 8 more days until we cross the border...it's really exciting.

David

maw7815

Aug 23, 2006, 7:15 PM

Post #5 of 7 (643 views)

Shortcut

I use Yahoo Messenger w/voice. You can call to the states for 2 cents a minute- you can choose your own phone number with an area code- I think you can have up to 5 different phone numbers so if you have friends or family all across the US- they won't have to make a long distance call. You need to have a microphone-I bought mine here in Ajijic for 90 pesos and your computer needs to have speakers. You can call anyone with a landline phone or cell phone or computer on your own computer. You need to give them a credit card to purchase minutes- I gave them $10 on my card and when I'm talking it subtracts what my balance is. I usually talk about 30 min to each of my kids and 60 cents is subtracted from my balance. I believe their annual cost is $19.95 for the service
Mary Ann Waite

bbeitz

Aug 24, 2006, 4:50 AM

Post #6 of 7 (602 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Yahoo! Messenger with Voice

I use Yahoo Messenger with Voice as well as Skype. They both work well. I use a headset with a boom mike and the clarity is good. With Yahoo you can go into preferences and change your location and make the call as if you were there. For example, I needed to call Taiwan. I changed my calling area to Taiwan and made the call. It is a great program and cheap.

Tio Bob
It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

VSOP

Aug 24, 2006, 6:19 AM

Post #7 of 7 (592 views)

Shortcut

These are still "the old days" for me, with dial-up telephone, at least. Is iconnecthere.com the best for dialup?

I've tried using Skype. My system worked on their little Echo123 tester and then after playing around with my Audio controls in Control Panel, as they suggested, my own voice recording is no longer audible. After checking and rechecking, sent an e-mail to their tech, but doubt I'll get an answer. Any suggestions?

I found the telephone number for icconecthere.com and will call them today. The info at the website is confusing to me.

No hay rosas sin espinas . . .

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4