Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Janet

Jun 3, 2002, 6:29 PM

Post #1 of 16 (4385 views)

Shortcut

more question about traveling from laredo to mazatlan

Can't Post |
thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far but I will have more questions. Sorry.
1. we are taking the toll roads to mazatlan but I am having trouble trying to figure out what they will cost me. I am in my starting my second year of college spanish and I still cannot understand the website in spanish.
2. how much cash and travels checks can I cross the border with? what can I pay tolls with pasos. us currency, and/or credit cards.
3. How long does it talk to get to mazatlan from laredo?
4. I own my car so do I have to take my the title of the car with me or can I just use my registration card?
5. I think at one time I saw a website where I could fill out some temporaty forms for the car permit needed to make things faster at the border, I cannot remember were I saw them does anyone know?<p>That it's sorry so many questions. but thanks in advance and agian for all your help.<p>Janet

Rolly

Jun 3, 2002, 7:06 PM

Post #2 of 16 (4384 views)

Shortcut

more question about traveling from laredo to mazatlan

Can't Post |
Hi Janet, <p>Glad to help. My gout is killing me today, so I'm stuck here at my computer to do my boy scout duties. :-)<p>: 1. we are taking the toll roads to MazatlŠn but I am having trouble trying to figure out what they will cost me.<p>About US$50 <p>: 2. how much cash and travels checks can I cross the border with? <p>There is no limit, but if you have more than US$10,000, you must declare it. Of course traveling with that kind of dough would be crazy.<p>:what can I pay tolls with pesos. us currency, and/or credit cards.<p>Pesos<p>: 3. How long does it talk to get to MazatlŠn from Laredo?<p>Two long hard days or three easier days<p>: 4. I own my car so do I have to take my the title of the car with me or can I just use my registration card?<p>Take the title. Sometimes they will accept the registration, but why risk it?<p>: 5. I think at one time I saw a website where I could fill out some temporary forms for the car permit needed to make things faster at the border, I cannot remember were I saw them does anyone know?<p>Sorry, I donít<p>Rolly

JANET

Jun 3, 2002, 7:33 PM

Post #3 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

THANKS WHAT A LONG DRIVE

Can't Post |
THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS SO QUICKLY.
ITS FUNNY MY MAP SAYS IT ONLY TAKE 11 HOURS TO GET FROM LAREDO TO MAZATLAN. IS THE DRIVE REALLY THAT SLOW.

Loco

Jun 3, 2002, 8:00 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

hmmmm ...

Can't Post |
Mazatlan to Nogales in 12 hours ... not laredo<p>Cuotas cost from $3-6 per section usually. I've only driven in central Mexico so may not apply in northern areas with longer stretches.<p>Have a bunch of pesos to pay for tolls, snacks and gas along the way. DO NOT try to spend dollars here, there and everywhere in Mexico<p>Don't use that ATM except at a bank machine. Using them in resturants and stores is asking for trouble unless you're shopping at Costco or major resorts. Have a pocket full of pesos and don't flash them.

Rolly

Jun 3, 2002, 9:15 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

THANKS WHAT A LONG DRIVE

Can't Post |
Nice Lady, don't you remember the detailed instructions I gave you for driving from Laredo to MazatlŠn? Click below to read again.<p>It's a long drive. Your map is just plan wrong.<p>Rolly

ET

Jun 3, 2002, 11:29 PM

Post #6 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

hmmmm ...

Can't Post |
"Loco" writes:
: Don't use that ATM except at a bank machine. Using them in resturants and stores is asking for trouble unless you're shopping at Costco or major resorts. <p>Could you expand on the kind(s) of trouble using an ATM in restaurants and stores could bring about?

Russell Kveton

Jun 4, 2002, 3:11 AM

Post #7 of 16 (4387 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit - Banjercito Pre-registration via Internet

Can't Post |

Russell Kveton

Jun 4, 2002, 3:27 AM

Post #8 of 16 (4387 views)

Shortcut

Tolls - Hermosillo to Nuevo Laredo (Includes Mazatlan)

Can't Post |
Looks like your tolls will be, if i read it right: 667 pesos.<p>167+87+145+156+122

janet

Jun 4, 2002, 5:36 AM

Post #9 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

THANKS WHAT A LONG DRIVE

Can't Post |
yes I still have them and have even printed them out but still it seems soooo sooo long<p>thanks
Janet<p>

Loco

Jun 4, 2002, 6:24 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

hmmmm ...

Can't Post |
I've heard many warnings about your credit card number being used by others after shopping in Mexico.

Rolly

Jun 4, 2002, 7:43 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

hmmmm ...

Can't Post |
There is also the problem of having nobody to help you if the machine eats your card. Been there, done that, and it ain't fun.

Loco

Jun 4, 2002, 3:07 PM

Post #12 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

I didn't read your message correctly

Can't Post |
I was not meaning an ATM in a resturant or store (don't think there are many, maybe malls) ... but to not use you credit card any more than you have to ... and try and do it in secure places.<p>That extra swipe or just copies of the receipt are all it takes for extra charges to appear.

ET

Jun 4, 2002, 10:49 PM

Post #13 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

I didn't read your message correctly

Can't Post |
This grows even more confusing. In your original post on the subject, you stated "Don't use that ATM except at a bank machine. Using them in resturants and stores is asking for trouble unless you're shopping at Costco or major resorts....".

ET

Jun 4, 2002, 11:14 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

Premature Posting

Can't Post |
An untimely tap on the return key resulted in the premature post of a half-composed message. What I was asking was:<p>This grows even more confusing. In your original post on the subject, you stated "Don't use that ATM except at a bank machine. Using them in resturants and stores is asking for trouble unless you're shopping at Costco or major resorts....". You went on in subsequent posts to indicate that you actually meant credit cards. <p>As many of us are aware, Costco is relatively unusual in that they don't accept common credit cards, restricting their in-store charge-card transactions to their cobranded American Express card or (at least at one time) the Discover card. At the same time Costco was one of the relatively early adopters of the in-store ATM machine. Consequently this really doesn't sound like it was a confused or misdirected posting regarding credit cards. <p>Because of their use of the Personal Identification Number (PIN) pure ATM cards are in some ways more resistant to fraudulent usage than credit cards. The main problem germane to this set of forums is that to my knowledge Point of Sales networks never blossomed in Mexico to the same degree they did in the United States. Consequently you can't commonly use your ATM card to make purchases in stores the way you can in the US. Instead you'd have to avail yourself to an ATM debit card, which processes purchase transactions through one of the two credit card networks (Visa and Mastercard), and is subject to the same kinds of fraudulent use as a credit card.<p>

Loco

Jun 5, 2002, 7:58 AM

Post #15 of 16 (4383 views)

Shortcut

I'm sure you have a point

Can't Post |
but I'm missing it<p>the point was about "plastic". I don't have an ATM card ... I have a debit card and a credit card. I use the credit card in ATM machines and stores and resturants.<p>I can't imagine any further questions about that.

Helio Torres

Aug 19, 2002, 6:04 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4386 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit - Banjercito Pre-registration via Internet

Can't Post |
: ...<p>me gustaria obtener un permiso para llevar mi carro a mexico en diciembre2002. me gustaria saber si puedo obtenerlo o no porque yo lleve una camioneta y no la regrese a California porque la vendi y no sabia que tenia que regresar el permiso en la frontera, la troca es Mexicana ya, me podrian ayudar con este problema porfavor. si necesitan alguna informacion pueden llamarme al:1(707)815-0596 mi nombre es Helio Torres y mi carro es um toyota celica del 2000. gracias.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4