Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

waterflyer

Aug 17, 2006, 8:00 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2915 views)

Shortcut

Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi there - We will be driving to Ajijic in mid-October from North Carolina. I am wondering a couple of things in anticipation of this...one, what might be the safest border crossing from Corpus Cristi, TX? I am a bit leary (read: Nervous) about the border crossing. More so than once we get past it. From what I've read, this is where something will happen if it is going to happen. I won't be alone, I'll be with my boyfriend and our 3 dogs. To make this trip, I traded my Jeep Wrangler for a 2006 Chevy Suburban, and yes, it's so the dogs can be comfortable and have lots of room! (A rolling kennel that happens to be occupied as well by 2 humans.) But since I bought it, I have had second thoughts about the wisdom of buying such a new and affluent-looking vehicle. I'm having some gruesome visions now and then along with the visions of bliss and adventure. My second inquiry if you will suffer me a moment longer is that this monster came with a GPS Nav system - great for US, Canada, and even Europe, but I haven't been able to find anything for Mexico, which would be fabulous. Does anyone have any "better thans" in terms of crossing points, and/or suggestions for nav software for mexico? Many, Many Thanks.

Rolly

Aug 17, 2006, 8:34 AM

Post #2 of 16 (2900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [waterflyer] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Crossing the border will not be a problem for you, except I would not do it at Laredo.

Your vehicle will not stand out all that much. You'll see lots of nice new cars, SUVs and trucks. Cross that off your worry list.

You can find some GPS information at the bottom of this page: http://rollybrook.com/maps.htm

Have a fun trip.

Rolly Pirate

sioux4noff

Aug 17, 2006, 9:16 AM

Post #3 of 16 (2890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Why not Laredo? (Unless you are considering the Colombia Bridge as not Laredo.)
The Colombia Solidarity Bridge is maybe 15 or 20 miles from Laredo, not at any town in Texas or Mexico really, but a very convenient and in our experience, easy, border crossing. It is just off I-35.

RickS

Aug 17, 2006, 3:45 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2866 views)

Shortcut

You didn't mention how knowledgeable you are about bringing a car into Mexico, but if you need information about that, Rolly's site 'says it all'. At the following location, look on the right side under "Useful Information".

http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm#Useful

waterflyer

Aug 17, 2006, 4:27 PM

Post #5 of 16 (2861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Yes, thank you so much, Ricks and Rolly. I have spent the remainder of my day reading and frolicking in the depths of Rolly's info. It is icredibly thorough and immediately helpful. I'm certain I will reread it and print much of it and add it to the folder I have begun to organize pertinent information for the trip. I, too, wonder about the Laredo crossing, and why it is warned against. I have yet to find the info on the gps...but jeez...i've on;y just begun to make a dent, I think. The only other problem is trying to keep myself from running to the store to make some of the recipes,

Brian

Aug 17, 2006, 7:58 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2842 views)

Shortcut

Here is your GPS information. I have been using it for a couple of years and am very satisfied.

http://www.gmap.com.mx/

Coming from Corpus, you have two reasonable choices:

A) Free Trade Bridge near Harlingen=very stress free crossing with rapid visa and auto permit processing. Can avoid tolls by using Ciudad Victoria/San Luis Potosi route
B) Take 281 south to Pharr crossing. Almost as easy. To take toll roads south, take Mexican Hwy 40D almost to Saltillo and then turn south on 57D.

Lots of gas stations and lodging opportunities. Enjoy the drive.

Brian

N2Futur

Aug 18, 2006, 3:01 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2805 views)

Shortcut

Depends on your GPS system. We have Garmin's "City Select Mexico NT v2" SD card which has auto routing capability for major roads and also the larger cities of Monterrey, Guadalajara and DF.

Elke

dougakin

Aug 21, 2006, 9:29 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Does your gmap program give verbal turn by turn directions? If so, is it in Spanish? What model GPS do you have? Thanks for your help.

Doug

waterflyer

Aug 24, 2006, 7:25 AM

Post #9 of 16 (2688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Hi Brian -

Thank you and others for the replies.

It has taken me a while, but i've finally gotten to study the site you recommended. I looked at the "garvin" model, as that was one Elke had recommended. Do you know (as I've let current technology get waaaay ahead of me...) what sort of system or device you need to use these things? I have a system in my car - factory installed (2006 chevy 'burb). I guess I need to find out who manufactures my car system, to determine compatability? However, if I find these Mexican maps won't work on what I have, what are other alternatives, if you know?

Thanmks so much! Waterflyer.

Brian

Aug 24, 2006, 7:39 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2684 views)

Shortcut

Hi

You are right that it is imperative to find out what type of gps is built-in on your car system. If it's Garmin, then the maps I suggested will work for you. The basemaps built in to any of the gps systems are very rudamentary and not detailed enough for navigation in Mexico. I use a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS. I prefer to use the dash or windshield mount type of GPS because I can switch it to use in rental cars when travelling by air.

saludos
Brian

N2Futur

Aug 30, 2006, 1:35 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dougakin] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Doug, we have a Garmin Street Pilot 7200. And yes, unlike the gmap program it gives the verbal turn by turn directions, in english or any language that has been programmed into the GPS. Go to garmin.com and find out if the City Select Mexico NT v2 SD card is compatible with your GPS system.

Elke

(This post was edited by N2Futur on Aug 30, 2006, 1:37 PM)

Goody2shs

Sep 1, 2006, 10:50 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2577 views)

Shortcut

Re: [N2Futur] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Elke, may I ask what type of method you use to download or input map data into your Garmin? My vehicle has an in-dash navigation system and uses a regular cd or dvd (can't tell the difference). I have different ones for the different regions of the U.S. I am also desperately trying to find out if I can get a cd for Mexico to fit our system. If you use a cd, I wonder if they might be interchangeable and possible to use in my vehicle. I already called my dealership but have not gotten a call back regarding this question.

N2Futur

Sep 6, 2006, 8:15 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goody2shs] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Goody2shs -

It's a SD card "For StreetPilot "c" Series, StreetPilot 7200/7500, iQue "M" series, zūmo 550, and nüvi series. (Cannot be installed on a Desktop PC, works only in the listed units)".

You may want to contact the manufacturer of your GPS system to find out if they have compatible CD's.

Elke

Goody2shs

Sep 6, 2006, 8:33 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2514 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately an SD card does not fit my system. I already called another dealer and it looks like Mercedes does not have a Mexico map available yet. Guess we'll have to wing it with our Guia Roji guide.

Oscar2

Sep 9, 2006, 1:35 PM

Post #15 of 16 (2461 views)

Shortcut

It’s good to hear someone else on this forum is also using the Garmin 702. It was purchased with Mexico in mind. Your entry indicating you have an SD chip used in Mexico is something I and probably others would very much like hear more about.

We recently did a 3 week plus, fly and rent a minivan vacation to Seattle and Vancouver, Canada using the Garmin 702. The large screen definitely (although top heavy because of it size) performed well. The American digitized woman’s voice at times spoke a language from outer space with oncoming names of streets which after awhile you get used too out of necessity but for the most part it was good.

I’ll have to check Garmin’s support site to see if I can download a more accurate voice. Who knows they just may just have an array of twangs and/or accents more ear appealing. The onboard GPS on my 05’ Acura MDX similarly scrunches names in a foreign language discernable and only understood by the ears of the occult digital world from whence it came.

Tip: The mounting bracket is supposedly permanent in as much as that its bottom has a very strong double stick tape adhered to its bottom surface. For rental car purposes, you’ll need to order another mounting plate (if your original is already mounted on its intended vehicle) and buy some good double stick tape and mount it to the Mylar under coating surface covering original factory tape. Get a small bottle of adhesive remover to clean the dash when you’re ready to return the car. It worked real well.

Since we ferried to the multiple San Juan and Vancouver Islands, the 702 surprisingly had guidance for obscure, out of the way little streets in remote regions of these islands. It showed the streets and although it didn’t have a name for them on the map it would call it out just as “the road.” For example, it would say, “turn left or right on road” void of name but more importantly it got you there.

Incidentally, we absolutely loved the vibrant, slender appearance of so many Canadian people who seem so health conscious and outgoing. The parks are just loaded with joggers and walkers, young and old. It’s a kick-butt city and the night life is alive into the wee …….

If you used the 702 in Mexico with the SD chip, can you give some details on the SD chip performance?

N2Futur

Sep 13, 2006, 8:17 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Is there such thing as a GPS Nav software for Mexico?

Oscar2, we have actually not yet used the Garmin 7200 in Mexico. I bought the chip with moving to Mexico in mind, which should occur as soon as I sell my house. I will post a full report on how well it works, once we make the 3 day drive down.

Elke

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4