Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Papirex

Aug 10, 2006, 5:55 PM

Post #1 of 20 (2135 views)

Shortcut

US State departmentTravel alert

Can't Post | Private Reply
I received this Email from the Merida, consular today. It may be of some interest to some of our members. I have registered with The US Embassy in Mexico City and I get warden messages from them from time to time. This is the first time I have received one from The Merida Consulate.

The link to The US Embassy in London does not work, all the other links that I have tried function OK. The Travel State.Gov link at the bottom of the page has some good information on renewing US passports by mail if you are in The US, or at a US Embassy or a US consulate if you are living in a foreign country.

Rex

***************************************************************************************************************

Please share this public announcement from the U.S. Department of State with all U.S. citizens. Please do not reply to this message. Thank you.
1. THIS PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT ALERTS AMERICANS TO THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM’S AUGUST 10, 2006 ANNOUNCEMENT THAT IT HAS HEIGHTENED SECURITY AT ALL U.K. AIRPORTS DUE TO THE ARREST OF SEVERAL TERROR SUSPECTS, WHO WERE REPORTEDLY PLANNING TO PLACE EXPLOSIVES ON COMMERCIAL AIR FLIGHTS. INFORMATION PERIODICALLY IS UPDATED BY THE UK DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT (WWW.DFT.GOV.UK <http://www.dft.gov.uk/> ) AND THE BRITISH AIRPORT AUTHORITY (WWW.BAA.CO.UK <http://www.baa.co.uk/> ). THE U.S. EMBASSY IN LONDON ALSO MAINTAINS A WEBSITE AT LONDON.USEMBASSY.GOV. AMERICANS WITH IMMEDIATE TRAVEL PLANS INTO OR OUT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM SHOULD CONTACT THEIR RESPECTIVE AIRLINES BEFORE TRAVELING TO THE AIRPORT. DUE TO THE DELAYS AND FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS, U.S.
OFFICIALS HAVE BEEN CAUTIONED TO AVOID TRANSITING THROUGH U.K. AIRPORTS AT THIS TIME. THIS PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT EXPIRES AUGUST 31, 2006.
2. THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM ANNOUNCED ON AUGUST 10, 2006 THAT IT HAS HEIGHTENED SECURITY AT ALL
U.K. AIRPORTS DUE TO THE ARREST OF SEVERAL TERROR SUSPECTS, WHO WERE REPORTEDLY PLANNING TO PLACE EXPLOSIVES ON COMMERCIAL AIR FLIGHTS. AS A RESULT OF THESE ARRESTS, THE THREAT LEVEL IN THE UK HAS BEEN RAISED TO CRITICAL, REFLECTING THE BELIEF THAT AN ATTACK MAY BE IMMINENT. IN THE UNITED STATES, THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY HAS ALSO RAISED THE THREAT LEVEL TO HIGH FOR ALL COMMERCIAL FLIGHTS OPERATING IN OR COMING TO THE UNITED STATES. THE SITUATION REMAINS FLUID AND IS BEING COVERED WIDELY BY BRITISH AND INTERNATIONAL MEDIA. INFORMATION PERIODICALLY IS UPDATED BY THE U.K. DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT (WWW.DFT.GOV.UK <http://www.dft.gov.uk/> ) AND THE BRITISH AIRPORT AUTHORITY (WWW.BAA.CO.UK <http://www.baa.co.uk/> ). THE U.S. EMBASSY IN LONDON ALSO MAINTAINS A WEBSITE AT WWW.LONDON.USEMBASSY.GOV <http://www.london.usembassy.gov/> .
3. AMERICANS WITH IMMEDIATE TRAVEL PLANS INTO OR OUT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM SHOULD CONTACT THEIR RESPECTIVE AIRLINES BEFORE TRAVELING TO THE AIRPORT. HEIGHTENED SECURITY IN OTHER COUNTRIES MAY CAUSE DELAYS IN OTHER FLIGHTS FROM EUROPE TO THE UNITED STATES. AMERICAN CITIZENS ARE ADVISED TO ANTICIPATE STRINGENT SECURITY MEASURES AND COOPERATE FULLY WITH AUTHORITIES. FOR THE LATEST TRAVEL AND SAFETY INFORMATION, AMERICANS LIVING AND TRAVELING ABROAD SHOULD REGULARLY MONITOR LOCAL MEDIA AND THE DEPARTMENT’S BUREAU OF CONSULAR AFFAIRS INTERNET WEBSITE AT TRAVEL.STATE.GOV. HOMELAND SECURITY WEBSITE ALSO PROVIDES INFORMATION AT WWW.DHS.GOV <http://www.dhs.gov/> . TRAVELERS
SHOULD ALSO CHECK THE TRNASPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION WEBSITE AT WWW.TSA.GOV <http://www.tsa.gov/> .
4. U.S. CITIZENS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO MAINTAIN A HIGH LEVEL OF VIGILANCE, BE AWARE OF LOCAL EVENTS, AND TAKE THE APPROPRIATE STEPS TO BOLSTER THEIR PERSONAL SECURITY. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE REFER TO “A SAFE TRIP ABROAD” FOUND AT HTTP://TRAVEL.STATE.GOV <http://travel.state.gov/> .
5. U.S. GOVERNMENT FACILITIES WORLDWIDE REMAIN AT A
HEIGHTENED STATE OF ALERT. THESE FACILITIES MAY TEMPORARILY CLOSE OR PERIODICALLY SUSPEND PUBLIC SERVICES TO ASSESS THEIR SECURITY POSTURE. IN THOSE INSTANCES, U.S. EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES WILL MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO PROVIDE EMERGENCY SERVICES TO U.S. CITIZENS. AMERICANS ABROAD ARE URGED TO MONITOR THE LOCAL NEWS AND MAINTAIN CONTACT WITH THE NEAREST U.S. EMBASSY OR CONSULATE.
6. AS THE DEPARTMENT CONTINUES TO DEVELOP INFORMATION ON ANY POTENTIAL SECURITY THREATS TO U.S. CITIZENS OVERSEAS, IT SHARES CREDIBLE THREAT INFORMATION THROUGH ITS CONSULAR INFORMATION PROGRAM DOCUMENTS, AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET AT HTTP://TRAVEL.STATE.GOV <http://travel.state.gov/> . IN ADDITION TO INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET, TRAVELERS MAY OBTAIN UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION ON SECURITY CONDITIONS BY CALLING 1-888-407-4747 TOLL-FREE IN THE U.S. OR OUTSIDE THE U.S. AND CANADA ON A REGULAR TOLL LINE AT 1-202-501-4444.

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

caldwelld

Aug 11, 2006, 9:40 AM

Post #2 of 20 (2047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] US State departmentTravel alert

Now this is clear proof the terrorists have won!!
dondon

Bubba

Aug 11, 2006, 10:55 AM

Post #3 of 20 (2026 views)

Shortcut

U.S. " OFFICIALS HAVE BEEN CAUTIONED TO AVOID TRANSITING THROUGH U.K. AIRPORTS AT THIS TIME. THIS PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT EXPIRES AUGUST 31, 2006."

Well, dondon, they may not have won but they are certainly winning.

The U.S. government warns its citizens to exercise caution and then tells its own officials to avoid U.K. airports. That´s leadership for you. We can lose citizens but not officials. Meanwhile, disgusting pols are jockeying to see who can gain political advantage from the irrational activities of maniacal religious fanatics. It´s U.S. politicians vs. Islamist maniacs. Who are the good guys in this drama?

DonaldEug44

Aug 11, 2006, 10:56 AM

Post #4 of 20 (2024 views)

Shortcut

This announcement has caused total chaos in airports. At Sea/Tac airport in Seattle/Tacoma, WA there are three hour waits getting through the security check area. They are confiscating bottled water, lipstick, compacts, hand lotion, basically any make-up products and anything else that could possibly hold any kind of chemical, powdered substance or other bomb making material. No matter how small the container it is being confisated. Any of you who may be planning to fly back into or out of the United States be aware. The restrictions apply to domestic as well as international flights. You would be wise to call the airlines before you show up for your flight and ask what to expect at the airport you are flying out of. I am leaving for Alaska (from Seattle) on Sunday, and have been told to arrive at least three hours before my flight so I can clear through security. It is definitely getting crazy out there.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Aug 11, 2006, 11:04 AM

Post #5 of 20 (2020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] US State departmentTravel alert

I think it's time for racial profiling. Enough of these little white haird grandmas in wheelchairs having to put up with all that crap.
Getting older and still not down here.

Marta R

Aug 11, 2006, 11:27 AM

Post #6 of 20 (2012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] US State departmentTravel alert

Those little white-haired grannies are the worst ones! Who would suspect them?

Listen, I have this theory. Eventually, after a full cavity search, naked passengers will be allowed to fly: no clothes, no personal electronics, no eyeglasses or contact lenses, no baby diapers, no tampons, no books or magazines, nothing. Passengers will be ushered into plastic-coated cabins and strapped into plastic covered seats, which they will be forbidden to leave and expected to clean up on arrival. No snacks. No little air poofers. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

Oh, and if you have any added parts, like fake hips or breast implants, you either have to give them up (there's a TSA emergency surgical unit standing by) or not fly at all.

Then the Feds will extend emergency subsidies to the airlines because their profits have plummeted because nobody wants to travel that way.

Marta

Rolly

Aug 11, 2006, 12:07 PM

Post #7 of 20 (1994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta R] US State departmentTravel alert

The bus never sounded better.

Rolly Pirate

arbon

Aug 11, 2006, 12:32 PM

Post #8 of 20 (1984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonaldEug44] US State departmentTravel alert

Can't Post |
They are stopping ALL CARRY ON LUGGAGE ONLY, except passports, money, meds', baby stuff, all to be in a clear plastic bag.

They are still allowing the normal "Stuff" in checked luggage......it was on TV this morning.

Cheese and fruit cake is not normal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(This post was edited by arbon on Aug 11, 2006, 12:39 PM)

Gringal

Aug 11, 2006, 12:33 PM

Post #9 of 20 (1981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] US State departmentTravel alert

Did somebody say you can't carry on books or magazines? What a thought! I hope that's just a rumor.

jennifer rose

Aug 11, 2006, 12:38 PM

Post #10 of 20 (1976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] US State departmentTravel alert

Can't Post |
To the best of my knowledge, they haven't outlawed playing Rock, Paper, Scissors to keep yourself entertained.

Georgia

Aug 11, 2006, 12:44 PM

Post #11 of 20 (1970 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] US State departmentTravel alert

Let's see: In 1988 the State Department warned its employees in Eastern Europe not to fly through Frankfurt to the US in the two weeks before Christmas because there had been a threat against a Pan Am flight flying that route. (They posted this warning in the Moscow Embassy.) So, they didn't. But the general pubic did. Lockerbie. Dec. 21, 1988. Pan Am 103.

So, I guess you could say, the situation is normal.

Georgia

Aug 11, 2006, 12:46 PM

Post #12 of 20 (1968 views)

Shortcut

Those restrictions are temporary ones out of the UK, especially Heathrow, to the US.

Gringal

Aug 11, 2006, 1:10 PM

Post #13 of 20 (1956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] US State departmentTravel alert

.....what do you suppose would happen if you told the screener that you were planning to do that? Omigod! SCISSORS!
Full cavity search to follow.

wendy devlin

Aug 11, 2006, 3:50 PM

Post #14 of 20 (1922 views)

Shortcut

Gringal, you're a scream!

To me, the unaffected. However Georgia lost a son during the Lockerbie crash.
To her, my continuing condolescences.

It must be tough to be among the profoundly 'affected'.

Trouble is. Unless we pay attention to who is who, and what has happened to them over time, we don't know these things.

thriftqueen

Aug 11, 2006, 7:44 PM

Post #15 of 20 (1877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta R] US State departmentTravel alert

I am in Albuquerque, NM, today's Albuquerque Jounal Editorial page has a cartoon that fits your description. It shows the TSA guy sitting down at the conveyor amid signs saying, No Liquids, or Gels, etc. No knives, etc, Remove shoes, a larger sign sez, "Remove clothes, climb on to Conveyor. The guy lying down just coming through the scanner on the conveyor is saying, " I think I see Al Qaida's plan....We're all supposed to die of aggravation!"

From all the reports I've seen things have been orderly, just long, long lines and it seems everyone is grateful for the shakedowns. Yesterday everyone was being required to toss all personal hygiene items and beverage bottles. Today everyone was saying they had packed the banned items in their checked baggage.

waltw

Aug 12, 2006, 5:37 PM

Post #16 of 20 (1783 views)

Shortcut

Did somebody say you can't carry on books or magazines? What a thought! I hope that's just a rumor.
Gringal

No, no rumor Gringal.
No books, magazines, newspapers, food, drinks, nada. No cell phones and no electronic devices.

I just flew into the US from Heathrow today on United, one of the airlines that was being targeted by the terrorists.
Security is intense at Heathrow, with officiers walking about, toting submachine guns.
Spent 3 1/2 hours going through airport check-in and security.
Security personel were performing full body searches on every passenger
We then got to our gate to board the plane and went through a second security check
We then boarded the plane and sat for another 2 1/2 hours.
The stewardess said the reason for the delay was that security was performing a background check against each passenger, prior to takeoff.
This made everyone miss their connecting flights out of DC.

One benefit. It's faster getting off and on the plane when the only thing people are carrying is a transparent, plastic bag.

Stranded in DC....

Rolly

Aug 12, 2006, 6:12 PM

Post #17 of 20 (1775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [waltw] US State departmentTravel alert

Walt, please note the no carry-on rule applies to flights out of the UK, not domestic USA flights. The USA rules do not allow liquids, gels, toothpaste, etc, but books and stuff are still OK.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Aug 12, 2006, 6:31 PM

Post #18 of 20 (1762 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] US State departmentTravel alert

Here is a copy of an Email that I received from Southwest Airlines today. It lists the types of items that can no longer be in carry on luggage on their domestic flights, as well as the exceptions to the new rules.

I think it is likely that other domestic airlines will have new rules regarding carry on items identical, or nearly identical to the new requirements listed by Southwest.

Rex

August 11, 2006

Dear Rapid Rewards Members:
We want to keep you updated on the latest information provided by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) so you can plan your travel accordingly. Due to heightened security procedures, the TSA has changed the guidelines regarding carryon luggage.

What Cannot be Carried on the Aircraft:
The TSA is currently prohibiting all liquids and gels in carryon luggage. This includes all beverages, shampoo, lotions, creams, toothpaste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency. Additionally, any of these items purchased beyond the security checkpoint will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.

Exceptions That Can be Carried on the Aircraft:
Baby formula or breast milk, if a baby or small child is traveling, and prescription medicine with a name that matches the Customer's name (along with insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines) can be carried onboard and are subject to inspection at the checkpoint.

Electronic items (including notebook computers, MP3 players, PDAs, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint, and all carryon items are subject to additional screening. We encourage you to visit the TSA's website for additional information about carryon items. Southwest Airlines' checked baggage policies are unchanged.

We will continue to post any changes or future updates at southwest.com, so we encourage you to check back often.
Sincerely,
Your Friends at Rapid Rewards

Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com®

southwest.com | Book Air | Book Car | Book Hotel | Book Cruise | Rapid Rewards | About SWA
Southwest Shortcut | Online Checkin | Flight Status | Interactive Routemap | More Travel Tools

This is a post-only mailing from Southwest Airlines. Please do not attempt to respond to this message.
Southwest Airlines
2702 Love Field Drive
Dallas, TX 75235
Copyright 2006 Southwest Airlines Co. All Rights Reserved.
You are currently subscribed to rr-member-updates as: rexpapi@hotmail.com
You can unsubscribe anytime at www.southwest.com/rapid_rewards/rremail/rremailUnsubscribe.html

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

waltw

Aug 12, 2006, 7:04 PM

Post #19 of 20 (1744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] US State departmentTravel alert

Correct.

Carry on luggage is still ok on Domestic Flights.
I was simply sharing my experience flying from the UK to the US, as I thought it pertinent to the discussion.
It will be interesting to see what other regulations get put into place over the next few months as a result.

Ivester

Aug 13, 2006, 4:48 AM

Post #20 of 20 (1694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonaldEug44] US State departmentTravel alert

My wife flew home to Tennessee from Seattle yesterday and said she had heard the same thing about chaos and 3-hr waits at Sea-Tac, but when she got there, there was only a normal (about 30-min) wait, the usual security procedures, and she was on her way. Her only problem was what to do with a couple of extra hours at the airport.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4