Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

mmmills

Aug 9, 2006, 8:36 PM

Post #1 of 13 (12328 views)

Shortcut

bus ride to Guadalajara

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,

I'm taking a Turimex bus from Austin to Guadalajara Saturday August, 12th. My son and his wife are joining me on this adventure. Once we get to Guadalajara, we are going to both take a week of Spanish classes
. The school has arranged for us to stay with a local family and hopefully get more practice.

Any comments on Turimex, Guadalajara
or learning Spanish would be appreciated. None of us have been to Guadalajara and there are probably some important places we need to be sure to see.

Mark

sioux4noff

Aug 10, 2006, 12:51 PM

Post #2 of 13 (12288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mmmills] bus ride to Guadalajara

Sorry I can't help you with all your questions, but I'd like some info on Turinex. How much is the fare? Is there a website? We live in Bucerias, Nayarit and are from Waco, Texas. Would consider bussing back if the price was right.
Spanish school is lots of fun. Don't be shy, use your new skills as much as you can, enjoy your trip!!!

patricio_lintz

Aug 10, 2006, 3:17 PM

Post #3 of 13 (12272 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] bus ride to Guadalajara

See www.tufesa.com.mx

This bus goes along Highway 15 from Guadalajara to Phoenix. You can connect with other Mexican buses in Hermesillo or Nogales.

patricio_lintz

Aug 10, 2006, 3:22 PM

Post #4 of 13 (12271 views)

Shortcut

I spent 4 weeks commutting back and forth from Chapala to downtown Guadalajara to attend IMAC, Instituto de Mexicano Americano Cultura. It was a good experience. I recommend it.

http://www.spanish-school.com.mx

Bloviator

Aug 11, 2006, 4:59 AM

Post #5 of 13 (12238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] bus ride to Guadalajara

If the bus goes along hiway 15, the trip will be beautiful. Just got back yesterday from CA (connecting to 15 at Santa Ana). The whole way everything is beautiful and green - not the usual dull grey. The rainy season has covered everything along the way this year. Never seen it so green and beautiful.

mmmills

Aug 11, 2006, 10:13 AM

Post #6 of 13 (12216 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] bus ride to Guadalajara

We will be going through Laredo. From there, we probably go through Monterrery. I can't guess the rest of the route Guadalajara.

sioux4noff

Aug 12, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #7 of 13 (12170 views)

Shortcut

I'm still unable to find out detail on line about Turimex. Could yu provide any contact info, even if it's a US #?

Rolly

Aug 12, 2006, 6:41 PM

Post #8 of 13 (12164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] bus ride to Guadalajara

Try this http://www.gruposenda.com/turimex/nuestra.htm in Spanish

And here http://www.gruposenda.com/...ex/reservaciones.htm is better

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Aug 12, 2006, 6:44 PM)

mmmills

Aug 21, 2006, 12:05 PM

Post #9 of 13 (12082 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] bus ride to Guadalajara

Well, I'm back in Dallas. We had a great time in Guadalajara.

Though we planned to take Turimex, the bus was sold-out when we tried to buy tickets. We checked with Turimex 2 weeks before leaving, and there didn't seem to be any problem with tickets. On the day of our departure, a phone call to check on ticket availability proved otherwise. There were none available. Turimex suggested we just go the next day. Fortunately, Americanos had seats available ($40/seat extra). The Americanos bus left 30 minutes later in the evening than Turimex, so it didn't change our plans.

During the trip, we passed and were passed by the Turimex bus several times.

Here is a list of the stops (gas and meal stops omitted):
1. Austin
2. San Marcos
3. Laredo
4. Zacatecas
5. Aguascaliente (Austin to Guadalajara direction only)
6. Guadalajara

The return bus was a bit newer and more comfortable than the 'to Guadalajara' bus. Both were fine for me, but my son's wife was unhappy with the bus ride to Guadalajara (her first bus ride to Mexico). She and my son happened to get a seat next to a fogged window and couldn't enjoy the country side during the trip. Additionally, the 4 AM stop for gas (everyone gets out of the bus and stands around in the middle of the desert for 20 minutes) seemed to have upset her a bit. On the ride back, the extra comfort and lack of surprises made for a better trip. She told me that on the next trip, she wanted to fly to Guadalajara, but take the bus home.

I had a good time on both bus trips, especially a 3 hour un-interupted conversation with my son which took place in the middle of the night, in the middle of the high desert.

song_of_joy

Aug 21, 2006, 4:25 PM

Post #10 of 13 (12067 views)

Shortcut

I like your website!

Can you tell me anything about buses from Monterrey to McAllen or Laredo? We live in Mexico but want to make a border run for shopping.

Thanks!

(This post was edited by song_of_joy on Aug 21, 2006, 4:25 PM)

mmmills

Aug 22, 2006, 6:50 PM

Post #11 of 13 (12013 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] bus ride to Guadalajara

In Reply To
Can you tell me anything about buses from Monterrey to McAllen or Laredo? We live in Mexico but want to make a border run for shopping.

I wish I could, but I've only taken the long directs from North Texas to central Mexico.

jerezano

Aug 23, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #12 of 13 (11976 views)

Shortcut

Hello song_of_joy,

In the past Omnibus de Mexico and Chihuahuense had first class buses running both to Reynosa and Nueveo Laredo direct from Guadalajara. From Monterrey to Reynosa there is a bus of one type or other running about every half hour. I would expect the same to Nuevo Laredo. At Reynosa you can either hire a taxi to take you across the frontier to Mc Allen or wait for a Valley Transit Bus at the central terminal. Much cheaper. Mc Allen is about 6 miles from Reynosa. The Valley Transit will dump you out at their terminal in "Spanish Town" of Mc Allen which is right down town. Taxi's galore. Many motels within walking distance but not with luggage. I know nothing about Nuevo Laredo and Laredo.

There is bus service from Mc Allen directly to various cities in Mexico but I know nothing about it.

As for shopping I'm definitely predjudiced. Mc Allen over Laredo hands down and money down also. Much better selections in Mc Allen. Better quality of merchandise. However taxi's to places like Home Depot, SAM's, etc., can get expensive, but I suppose so in Laredo as well. In McAllen my favorite motel is Posada Ana (Budget motel of the Drury chain) which is located on Interstate 83 North Frontage road [heads West] just East of 10th. Motel 6 is next door to the West. Take a taxi the first time. A Dennys? only two motels East on the same street. Luby's cafeteria, a Chinese restaurant, Mexican restaurant and several other fast food places all within walking distance on North 10th. Others including Red Lobster on 83 South Frontage road [heads East] but because of the need to go under the Interstate a bit farther walk. Medium walk to the biggest Mall in Mc Allen on South 10th st.

Adiós. jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Aug 23, 2006, 4:38 PM)

song_of_joy

Aug 23, 2006, 5:51 PM

Post #13 of 13 (11964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] bus ride to Guadalajara

Wonderful information.

Thank you so much!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4