Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

talosian

Aug 7, 2006, 12:05 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5535 views)

Shortcut

DSL in Chapala, no phone service

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, I was wondering if anybody got DSL service from Telmex without having regular phone service. Is such a thing possible? It would be for a property right on the main street in Chapala. I'm looking into different options, costs, speed, reliability. I'll have a VOIP box and have a Movistar cell phone so don't really need a local line and would like to save $$$ by only having DSL.

Thanks in advance
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

(This post was edited by talosian on Aug 7, 2006, 2:32 PM)

Jean

Aug 7, 2006, 2:42 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] DSL in Chapala, no phone service

Since the ADSL comes from the phone lines I suspect you will need the phone.

A great way to save money here is using VOIP to call people in Joco or the Raquet club on their VOIP number.

Someone needs to develop a phonebook of people who have VOIP numbers. Imagine all the telmex long distance charge we could save.

Jean
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

bournemouth

Aug 7, 2006, 3:41 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] DSL in Chapala, no phone service

And imagine the fun Telmex could have with us if they got their hands on such a directory. Best that we just share numbers with our friends - a directory would be dangerous.

talosian

Aug 7, 2006, 4:26 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] DSL in Chapala, no phone service

In Reply To
And imagine the fun Telmex could have with us if they got their hands on such a directory. Best that we just share numbers with our friends - a directory would be dangerous.

100% correct. I remember when I lived in the Cayman Islands and call-back service came there. When Cable & Wireless found out who was using it, they simply turned off the service to the number. When asked how they could do that the reply was: "Easily, it our equipment, we're not government regulated and we can do what we da*m well please."
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

RickS

Aug 7, 2006, 7:33 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5492 views)

Shortcut

I think Talosian's question is 'could one get it over the wires and not also have phone service included'. It's called 'naked DSL' here in the States..... DSL service without having/paying for voice service. Many BOCs do it, but I have not heard that Telmex offers it.

Jean

Aug 8, 2006, 3:56 AM

Post #6 of 8 (5474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] DSL in Chapala, no phone service

Yes you are probably right. Too bad though. The long distance costs here are not reasonable. I think in time Telmex is going to have to offer something to it's clients as more and more of us do go the VOIP route even for calling local long distance.

Jean
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

johanson / Moderator

Aug 8, 2006, 8:53 AM

Post #7 of 8 (5457 views)

Shortcut

LOCAL LONG DISTANCE: I'm confused why so many folks from North of the border pay Telmex more for long distance phone calls than the natives do. I asked a Telmex employee while sharing a beer one evening, why this was so and he believed it was either because we were so rich or because we were too lazy to check the alternative Telmex options. I chose the (what's it called?) The LATA 100 NACIONAL plan (or something like that) I pay 50 centavos or a little less than 5 US cents per minute to phone long distance anywhere in Mexico. I pay 100 pesos per month and get 200 minutes per month of call time.

Telmex has several other plans including one for phoning NoB which is much cheaper than what one pays without said plan but still appreciably more than VoIP.

Sherrill

Sep 20, 2006, 5:51 AM

Post #8 of 8 (5392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] DSL in Chapala, no phone service

Here is site with various long distance plans offered by TelMex:
http://www.telmex.com/mx/hogar/paq.html
As our phone bill is rarely delivered, I use the online service to check bill before I go to the office to pay up. Maybe next month I will try paying on line.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4