Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

wendy devlin

Aug 3, 2006, 12:52 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1839 views)

Shortcut

New local craft, cooking store/business in La Manzanilla

Can't Post | Private Reply
Check out this new business run by local women selling home-made jams, crafts etc. in La Manzanilla.

http://www.cocinaalegre.com/overview.htm

MariaLund

Aug 5, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] New local craft, cooking store/business in La Manzanilla

The shop looks airy, modern and .... upscale. It looks soooooooooo tempting I'll be very afraid to go shop there (I ain't supposed to eat sweets :-(().
Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse est!

wendy devlin

Aug 6, 2006, 8:15 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MariaLund] New local craft, cooking store/business in La Manzanilla

Someone has informed me that the store actually opened a year ago.
It was however, 'news' to me...LOL.

Yes, the store looks like you describe it Maria.

Keep in mind, though that La Manzanilla is no longer the sleepy undiscovered Mexican fishing village it once was.

Many American and Canadian ex-pats have second homes there.

And a lot of money has been poured into making the village, a beach-side center for the arts. And in the winters the snow-birds arrive by the dozens plus the fly-in tourists.

The store mostly likely developed here, because of the potential market for retail sales.

Many local people need to find new ways to make a living in a small place terrifically impacted by new-comers in a short few years.

jerezano

Aug 6, 2006, 9:15 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1754 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

I personally have not been to La Manzanilla for some three years. However, friends there are reporting that La Manzanilla is now becoming a rather expensive place to live. Seems as if many new residents are moving into the area and building extremely expensive homes. Consequently as Wendy Devlin points out in the above post

Keep in mind, though that La Manzanilla is no longer the sleepy undiscovered Mexican fishing village it once was.

Many American and Canadian ex-pats have second homes there.

In fact some of my friends feel that they can no longer live in La Manzanilla because of the increased costs and are contemplating a forced move to other locations.

Adiós. jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Aug 6, 2006, 9:16 AM)

drfugawe

Aug 13, 2006, 7:16 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1677 views)

Shortcut

It was inevitable! I would guess that every traveler who discovers a place like La Manzanilla dreams of returning some day to the same, pristine perfectness of the place - but we know in our hearts that this will only happen in our memories.

We too were last there some 3-4 years ago, and even then were impressed with the goodness of the foods, especially Martine's (hope he's still there!). So it is nice to see that it is that element of "development" that they have chosen to enhance. We wish the people of La Manzanilla the best with this endevour - isn't it nice to see that all development is not conducted, controlled, and ultimately profits outside investors?
john

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4