Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

DavidJ

Aug 1, 2006, 12:05 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2302 views)

Shortcut

Fresh eggs

Can't Post | Private Reply
Reading in the September/October 2006 edition of "Cook's Illustrated", I noted that eggs in Europe are keep on the counter and not refrigerated as in the U.S.--the reason given is that in the U.S. eggs are washed before they reach the consumer, thus removing a protective covering that keeps outside bacteria from entering the egg through the shell. In Europe, eggs are not washed and therefore do not need to be refrigerated. Are eggs sold in Mexico washed? How are eggs stored once purchased?

Rolly

Aug 1, 2006, 2:04 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2287 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidJ] Fresh eggs

All the Mexican kitchens I have poked my nose into have the eggs in the fridge. But in the stores, the eggs are sold in the open.

BTW, Cook's Illustrated is a great mag. I wish I had it down here.

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Aug 1, 2006, 2:41 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2286 views)

Shortcut

God knows if eggs are washed or not. Nobody is talking.
By the way I started checking the freshness of eggs sold in some of the small stores after I got some bad ones.I found out that their freshness varies widely: some are very fresh and some are old. If you are concern about the freshness of the eggs, before cooking them wash them and while they are in the water observe their position. If they stay on the side at the bottom they are very fresh, as they age they will go into a stand up position at the bottom and then float.
This is how we used to check them at my grand mother s as we would go and get them and did not always find them rightaway. We always kept them in the cellar where it was cool and did not refridgerate them nor wash them ahead of time. The reason we did not refridgerate them is that in order to make a good mayonaise wihout beater or blender all ingredients eggs, mustard and oil should be at the same temperature or so we thought.

esperanza

Aug 1, 2006, 3:17 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2277 views)

Shortcut

I've heard--and this may only be myth--that if uncooked eggs have never been refrigerated, they need not be refrigerated. Once they have been refrigerated, they need to be kept cold.

Rolly's observance is mine as well: in stores, eggs are sold at room temperature, frequently in one-kilo bags. If the buyer has a refrigerator at home, the eggs are then refrigerated.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

thriftqueen

Aug 1, 2006, 6:43 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2258 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Fresh eggs

During the warmer months here in our small town I refuse to buy eggs locally. One may see a produce/egg truck bringing groceries in to the small stores and low and behold the eggs are always on the top of the load. I hate to break an egg in the skillet and have the white run all over or appear filmy as it apparently started to cook enroute. I long to have a few chickens of my own for super fresh eggs.

Cynthia7

Aug 1, 2006, 8:01 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] Fresh eggs

Eggs in the US have an expiration date on them. Some may be stored in refrigerated warehouses..cold storage eggs. I am buying 30 medium eggs for $1 US dollar in Ar. at the super market. We are egged out..deviled, egg and olive salad, egg custard, omelets, chess pie, mayonaisse....I have never found eggs in Mexico to be graded or sized. They are delicious..I often get double yolks at the egg distributor on Canal in SMA.

DavidJ

Aug 2, 2006, 5:33 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] Fresh eggs

Thank you all for your prompt and detailed responses.

David

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4