Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

trpt2345

Jul 29, 2006, 7:43 PM

Post #1 of 8 (4748 views)

Shortcut

Coming to Veracruz and Xalapa

Can't Post | Private Reply
After some false starts and changed plans, my wife and I are coming to Veracruz for three weeks, starting August 20. (Just booked flights via hotwire: roundtrip from Chicago on Continental for $564. I like to avoid DF if possible). We plan to spend time in Xalapa because we're looking to move to Mexico and I think Xalapa will be the place. I'm a musician and it seems that Xalapa would provide opportunities to perform and teach. Anyone (Roy?) have hotel suggestions for Xalapa. We're very familar with Veracruz but have never spent time in Xalapa. And we'd be more than pleased to see anyone in Veracruz. We're also going up the coast to see my suegra in Palma Sola. Right now it's cooler in Veracruz than Chicago, and definitely nicer in Xalapa. Seems things have been slow here lately, maybe we can start some talk.

Michael McLaughlin "El bolillo ranchero"

RickM

Jul 30, 2006, 11:27 AM

Post #2 of 8 (4729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [trpt2345] Coming to Veracruz and Xalapa

most of the downtown hotels are budget

Limon is cheap with TV but small rooms
Plaza Xalapa is cheap but no TV

way up Revolucion are some cheaper ones with TV - passable

RickM

Jul 30, 2006, 11:28 AM

Post #3 of 8 (4728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickM] Coming to Veracruz and Xalapa

http://www.trixar.com/...mexico/vcrz/xpa1.htm

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jul 30, 2006, 1:11 PM

Post #4 of 8 (4721 views)

Shortcut

Michael:
Your "tocayo"(someone who has the same name as you) David McLaughlin, frowns on us using the forums for "gols"...telling about our local enterprises, but I have 4 furnished rentals on a side street in downtown Xalapa that are great places to get to know the area from. Please send me a private message if you would like more information.
¡Tengo hambre y ya me voy!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

NJ2VER

Aug 6, 2006, 8:40 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4668 views)

Shortcut

For a decent budget ($40 ish) hotel in Xalapa with TV, CNN, Parking garage, internet, good breakfast & expresso try:

http://www.posadadelvirrey.com.mx/home.html

Hotel Limon ($20ish) is passable, practical, and has pretty courtyard. The tight rooms remind me of a dorm.

Consider Jalapa Roy's rental. He has a very nice place right downtown.

If you are there for 3 weeks, and want a little exercise to work off the mole, don't miss climbing to the top of Park Malcuiltepec, Xalapa's little volcano.

trpt2345

Aug 6, 2006, 9:19 AM

Post #6 of 8 (4661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Coming to Veracruz and Xalapa

Thanks for the tip, it looks interesting. We're in Mexico for three weeks but probably only one in Xalapa, we have relatives to see, etc. We're checking it out as a possible place to live.

Michael McLaughlin "El bolillo ranchero."

wyhaines

Aug 6, 2006, 6:01 PM

Post #7 of 8 (4646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Coming to Veracruz and Xalapa

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnoldorodriguezcarrington/73624943/

Somebody's nice pictures of Macuiltepetl.

Kirk Haines

trpt2345

Aug 16, 2006, 7:55 PM

Post #8 of 8 (4586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wyhaines] Coming to Veracruz and Xalapa

It's settled, we'll be staying in Veracruz from Saturday the 19th to Wednesday the 23rd at the Hotel Costa Verde on the Avenida Avila Camacho 3797. Then in Xalapa from the 23rd of Agosto to the 30th at the Posada del Virrey in Xalapa. The again in Veracruz at the Costa Verde from Septiembre 4 through the 7th. We would love to hear from any list members in either city, for anything from breakfast to lunch to happy hour to club hopping, especially in Xalapa where we're looking to settle. Feel free to e-mail privately before Saturday when we leave.

Michael and Eva McLaughlin (el bolillo ranchero y la flaca).

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4