Jul 25, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #1 of 26
I would like to hear some opinions of the following incident which occurred on our trip SoB last week.
We reserved a small town home to stay in for the 1st, 6th and 7th day of our frantic trip. In between we traveled to Guadalajara and Ajijic. On arrival, the property mgr. met us to give us the key. We paid him the remaining 2 days deposit, having already prepaid the 1st. At this time he informed us that the power company would be turning off the electricity for 4 hours in order to perform some repairs up the road. No problem, we had lots of running around to do, and upon returning, we saw the crew packing up, having finished their work. Once in the home (obviously hot from 4 hours without A/C) we proceeded to turn on the 2 wall controlled A/C units. The upstairs fired up and we adjusted it to 24. The downstairs turned on and immediately off. After several repeats, we called the property mgr. who told us that it could not get fixed until the following Monday (it was Sat. evening). We decided to “tough it out” and ended up spending the rest of the evening in the upstairs bedroom trying to stay cool. The next morning, I plugged in our hair dryer and it blew, then the same thing happened to a hair dryer on site.
From Guadalajara, the next Monday, I phoned the property manager and told him of the problem with the dryers and suggested that as a result of the electrical work, perhaps this was the cause of the A/C problem. He assured us it would be taken care of by our Thursday return.
On returning that Thursday at noon, we entered the house and immediately had the same problem. Remember that each time, the upstairs unit operated just fine from the wall keypad, but the downstairs unit would turn off and no matter what adjustments were made (fan on/off, temp adj, timer) would turn right off. At this point, rather miffed, I called the property manager and told him that we expected the problem to be fixed by 4:00 that afternoon, or we would be coming by his home to pick up the deposit for our last 2 nights. Again, we were assured the problem would be dealt with.
On returning after 4:00, the downstairs unit was off and the entire downstairs was hot. I called the PM and told him we would be coming by to pick up our money and would find other accommodations. At this point, he informed us that we would not be getting our money back, and the conversation went south from there.
So, here’s my question; do I stand a snowball’s chance of getting our money back, or are we out of luck? Make no mistake that the PM did not conduct himself in a manner remotely close to accommodating or “customer service” friendly, and frankly, he dragged me right down with him. But cussing aside, do I have a leg to stand on in any of this? Your input on either side is greatly appreciated. Adding further confusion is the fact that within a year, we will be living in the same town as this guy, so the vengeance angle is is NOT an option, nor, for that matter is muckraking…