Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Aaron Smit

Jun 8, 2002, 12:11 PM

Post #1 of 9 (6841 views)

Shortcut

Toll roads from Nogales to Tepic

Can't Post |
Does anyone know what I will pay in total for tolls and do the toll roads go all the way? What is the currentt price for gas? Thanks Aaron

Russell Kveton

Jun 8, 2002, 12:29 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6828 views)

Shortcut

Tolls - Nogales to Tepic - Looks like about 856 pesos, 1050-194.

Can't Post |

Pike

Jun 9, 2002, 12:02 PM

Post #3 of 9 (6827 views)

Shortcut

Tolls - Nogales to Tepic - Looks like about 856 pesos, 1050-194.

Can't Post |
: ...
I believe the 856 pesos includes the toll from Tepic to Guadalajara. If you are just going from Nogales to Tepic it would be more like 575 pesos.

Russell Kveton

Jun 9, 2002, 1:40 PM

Post #4 of 9 (6823 views)

Shortcut

You are right, I looked at the wrong column. 845-270 = 575. Also >>>

Can't Post |
below is a link for gas prices.<p>The other bit of news is that the 856 should be the number of kilometers you will travel on the toll roads. The shape of the highways on the non-toll portion of the trip I cannot comment on having never driven them. Perhaps someone else can.

Pike

Jun 9, 2002, 3:27 PM

Post #5 of 9 (6823 views)

Shortcut

You are right, I looked at the wrong column. 845-270 = 575. Also >>>

Can't Post |
: below is a link for gas prices.<p>: The other bit of news is that the 856 should be the number of kilometers you will travel on the toll roads. The shape of the highways on the non-toll portion of the trip I cannot comment on having never driven them. Perhaps someone else can. <p>
I don't want to keep splitting hairs but if the guy really wants to know the information it is 720 miles from Nogales to Mazatlan on the toll road. This comes to about 1200 kilometers. I drive this route about 6 times a year. The exact distance from Mazatlan to Tepic - I'm not sure.<p>Pike<p>

Russell Kveton

Jun 9, 2002, 5:40 PM

Post #6 of 9 (6825 views)

Shortcut

Nothing wrong with hair splitting.

Can't Post |
According to a map I have it is 184 km. from Maz to Tepic. For some reason the km. information given on the table I referenced in the URL link of my original post, does not add up to the 1200 km. <p>I guess your point is that the roads are equivalent to "toll road" conditions all the way, and that is all that matters. So the total distance is about 1380 km. and the roads are good.

ET

Jun 9, 2002, 7:21 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6830 views)

Shortcut

Not Toll Road Equivalent All the Way

Can't Post |
: I guess your point is that the roads are equivalent to "toll road" conditions all the way, and that is all that matters. So the total distance is about 1380 km. and the roads are good. <p>A poster to this forum in March of this year described the stretch between Mazatlan and Tepic as "1/3 is autopista/cuota and the rest 2 lane." My 2001 Guia Roji Road Atlas indicates that the toll road is incomplete and under construction in this section.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jun 10, 2002, 12:44 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6839 views)

Shortcut

Mazatlan to Tepic

Can't Post |
: A poster to this forum in March of this year described the stretch between Mazatlan and Tepic as "1/3 is autopista/cuota and the rest 2 lane."<p>I drove this stretch at the end of March. There are only two sections of toll road completed on Hwy 15 between Mazatlan and Tepic. One is a newly opened 25-km (or so) section between Rosario and Escuinapa (Rosario is about 60 km southeast of Mazatlan). It's not four-lane, but a two-lane limited access freeway with very wide shoulders. Many semi trucks and buses choose to use this toll road, so, depending on traffic, you can find yourself unable to pass and going quite slowly, even though it's a toll freeway. The other stretch is just before Tepic, and it's a four-lane freeway and quite nice, well worth the toll to avoid the trucks crawling up Hwy 15 to Tepic at 3,000 ft.<p>Two-lane Hwy 15 between Mazatlan and Tepic is one the most nerve-racking stretches of highway I've ever driven. A constant flow of buses and semis, combined with a narrow, twisting roadbed, often with no shoulders whatsoever, make it especially challenging. Two of the worst accidents I've seen in Mexico have been along this road. If you think the professional drivers do any better at negotiating this stretch, slow down and gawk at the bus and semi tractor-trailer "graveyard" along both sides of the road just south of the Tuxpan junction. Quite sobering...<p>: So the total distance is about 1380 km. and the roads are good.

I would say the tollways between Nogales and Mazatlan are generally in good shape. But note that there are some long stretches where the roadbed is not that great, with the top inch or so of pavement peeling badly, especially in the right-hand lane. Also, note that there are long stretches that are not really limited access toll road, but merely four-lane divided highway, for example, between Los Mochis and Guamuchil. There's lots of traffic entering the roadway from side roads in this area, and many slow-moving agricultural vehicles that one needs to look out for.<p>Hope this helps,<p> -- K.H.<p>

Ken Lovesit

Sep 7, 2002, 8:23 AM

Post #9 of 9 (6831 views)

Shortcut

HWY 15 Nogales to Puertp Vallarte

Can't Post |
What is total cost of tolls on this trip:

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4