Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mrsgroom

Jul 27, 2006, 5:57 PM

Post #1 of 14 (4328 views)

Shortcut

Traveling can you tell me What NOT to miss?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, We will be traveling and visiting the following citys, I know there are places there that I would never be able to find with out someone telling us DO NOT MISS THIS !!! Here is were we will be visiting Queretaro, San Migual Allende, Dolores Hidalgo, then Last Oaxaca. We will be traveling by bus to these places.
Thanks Sherry

Bubba

Jul 27, 2006, 6:19 PM

Post #2 of 14 (4320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mrsgroom] Traveling can you tell me What NOT to miss?

When are you going?

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 31, 2006, 1:50 PM)

mrsgroom

Jul 27, 2006, 8:43 PM

Post #3 of 14 (4308 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Traveling can you tell me What NOT to miss?

We are leaving Aug 17th flying into Queretaro coming home Aug 30th. We hope to return in Oct. and Nov. to stay for 6 months.

caldwelld

Jul 28, 2006, 7:13 AM

Post #4 of 14 (4283 views)

Shortcut

Get a decent guide book and take your pick of the kind of sights/activities that most interest you. A chaqueun sa gout.
dondon

paulette & Chuck

Jul 28, 2006, 7:20 AM

Post #5 of 14 (4279 views)

Shortcut

Don't forget the city of Guanajuato. It's gorgeous and very European!

paulette & Chuck

Jul 28, 2006, 7:24 AM

Post #6 of 14 (4276 views)

Shortcut

Whoops-- forgot a must see! As long as you're bussing it, it's a very doable bus ride from Guanajuato to Patzcuaro in Michoacan. I've done it several times. You could even hang out in Moralia for a while, on the way.

jerezano

Jul 28, 2006, 8:49 AM

Post #7 of 14 (4260 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

In Oaxaca you will of course visit Monte Albán. Don't let yourself be talked into "it's just another ruin" and pass it by. You will hate yourself if you do. And actually the guides are worth the money. You will learn a lot more than on a self-conducted tour.

In San Miguel de Allende visit every church you find open. Even if you are not an Architecture buff you will be impressed. In the Paroquia don't forget to ask to visit the tomb of the first? or third? president of México whose crypt is in the basement. Many people pass that by without even knowing it's there. Why visit it? I don't know. Just a part of Mexico's history that you should see when you are there. It will put you one up in later conversations about SMA.

Adiós. jerezano.

mrsgroom

Jul 28, 2006, 10:15 AM

Post #8 of 14 (4242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Traveling can you tell me What NOT to miss?

Want to thank you for the replys. I love to go to those places no one knows about and that are not in the "Books" you know off the beaten path. I will interested in purchasing some jewerly and little things for gifts. thanks again sherry Im making a book out of your replys :) to take with. sherry

Bubba

Jul 29, 2006, 6:58 AM

Post #9 of 14 (4196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Traveling can you tell me What NOT to miss?

Yes Monte Alban is a must. You should first visit the museum at the Santa Domingo Convent. It helps you to understan Monte Alban better. I also found the contrast between the austere Spanish art of the 16th century and the art from the Indigenous people at the same time fascinating. They seemed to have had a lot more sense of humor then the Spaniards.
Do not miss the desert garden around the convent.

Gayla

Jul 31, 2006, 10:37 AM

Post #10 of 14 (4126 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, you are a hoot. Of course, the indigenous folks had a better sense of humor than the Spaniards. Did you know that during the Colonial period indians with artistic abilities were trained to produce religious art to aid in the conversion. They were, however, not allowed to use the bright colors with which they had adorned their native artwork, pottery, homes, bodies, etc. They were pretty much limited to rather somber colors. Which is helpful in "reading" the murals done by the great Mexican muralists. Many of them depict some version or segment of Mexican history. Notice that the pre-conquest portion of the mural is almost always done in live, vibrant color. The conquest and period after is almost always in muted tones, and then post Mexican revolution the colors begin to get brighter again.

Mrs.Groom, definitely go to Monte Alban and to Mitla as well. Bubba's right about the Santo Domingo church, it is definitely worth a visit. I think it's better than the cathederal on the zocalo. If churches are your think, check out the Catedral de Nuestra Senora Soledad, it's beautiful too. One of the best parts of Oaxaca is the food. It's one of the last bastions of traditional cooking. Splurge and have a meal at either of the Casa Oaxaca locations for very good contemporary Mexican food. It's expensive by Mexican standards, moderate by American. But if you're traveling on a tight budget it would probably be considered expensive.

Don't rule out guide books, they're just not all created the same. The Lonely Planet guide books for Mexico are actually pretty good. My favorite, however, is the Peoples Guide to Mexico by Carl Franz. He manages to hit all the usual suspects as well as finding some hidden gems and unusual places. For me, it's always worth having this guide book on hand.

Bubba

Jul 31, 2006, 1:45 PM

Post #11 of 14 (4113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] Traveling can you tell me What NOT to miss?

Be careful about Casa Oaxaca, they are now two restaurants name Casa Oaxaca, the new one, we were told had the same menu as the old one so we went to both and ordered the same thing. No comparison. The new restaurant, is upscale looking, modern and the food is totally overpriced. it was oversalted and the use of ingredients and spices was poor. It does not seem possible that the same chef is overlooking the two restaurants. They may have gone through a bad night who knows it can happen but it was not worth the price depite the wonderful view of Santo Domingo from the terrasse.
The old restaurant has now less tables and is still on the patio of the Hotel Casa Oaxaca. Alejandro, the chef cooks there and the food is till very good and although the description of some of the dishes is the same, there are two different dishes.
We found that the service had gone way down. It is still very friendly but that evening the waitress was pretty incompetent and needed to be trained. We still enjoyed the food and the atmosphere and we still recommend the Casa Oaxaca at the Hotel.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 31, 2006, 1:59 PM)

Gayla

Aug 1, 2006, 8:43 AM

Post #12 of 14 (4059 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, I am truly saddened to hear of the decline in Casa Oaxaca. I had a meal at the location by Santo Domingo less than 2 years ago and it was truly fabulous. Very creative contemporary Mexican and very well executed. You've probably hit the nail on the head that a changing kitchen staff/chef is probably the cause.

Bubba

Aug 1, 2006, 9:45 AM

Post #13 of 14 (4050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] Traveling can you tell me What NOT to miss?

We were there in May and are planning to go back again in December . The Casa Oaxaca Hotel Restaurant is one of our favorite in Mexico. Alejandro is still the chef so may be he will the new restaurant near Santo Domingo in shape. I am not sure why the new restaurant has the same name and not the same quality I think it is a major marketing error, very confusing for people who do not know the two places.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Aug 1, 2006, 9:47 AM)

mrsgroom

Aug 6, 2006, 8:34 PM

Post #14 of 14 (3945 views)

Shortcut

I am so excited about visiting Mexico, Im starting a little book and I have maped out all the places you tell me to visit. Just 10 days left. wow Sherry

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4