Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

jaybear

Jul 19, 2006, 8:02 AM

Post #1 of 19 (1828 views)

Shortcut

LG refrigerator

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anyone have personal experience owning an LG refrigerator? This is a Korean mfr. distributing worldwide. Their refrigerators are for sale at Costco in Guad.
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

bournemouth

Jul 19, 2006, 8:47 AM

Post #2 of 19 (1808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] LG refrigerator

LG (Lucky Goldstar) used the be the brand we knew NOB as Goldstar. I have not had one but a friend has one in Sonora and is very happy with it.

esperanza

Jul 19, 2006, 9:16 AM

Post #3 of 19 (1804 views)

Shortcut

You might want to have a look at a couple of other stores--lots carry the LG brand, and some are less expensive than Costco. Wal-Mart and Ekar de Gas would be places to start, and Paviche in the Glorieta Minerva.

When I was shopping recently for a refrigerator, I found the best bang for the buck was at Paviche. I bought a 23 cubic foot Whirlpool side by side with no water/ice/etc in the door--exactly what I wanted--for 9000 pesos. I thought it was a steal.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jul 19, 2006, 10:12 AM

Post #4 of 19 (1794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] LG refrigerator

9000 peso is even a steal up here in the states... :)
Getting older and still not down here.

Georgia

Jul 20, 2006, 7:45 AM

Post #5 of 19 (1733 views)

Shortcut

When I lived in the woods in Vermont with no electricity, etc., we had an LG gas refrigerator. We also had one in our camper. Excellent alternative to electric. No problems.

1ajijic

Jul 20, 2006, 8:08 AM

Post #6 of 19 (1730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] LG refrigerator

I'm not familiar with their refrigerators, but, several friends have LC products and they are universally happy with them.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Georgia

Jul 20, 2006, 10:35 AM

Post #7 of 19 (1711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] LG refrigerator

Ah, me. I thought you were referring to "liquid gas" not a brand name. Anyway, gas refrigerators are great if you want to save on electric.

HHERRINGTON

Jul 20, 2006, 11:24 AM

Post #8 of 19 (1699 views)

Shortcut

LG has in the past been highly rated by consumer organizations. Ours was purchased based on CR recommendation and has worked without problems for the three years we have owned it.. The main feature we purchased it for was the bottom freezer, which saves lots of bending over.
----------------------------------------------------

Life is too complicated to be expressed in one liners.

cristalhombre

Jul 21, 2006, 12:30 AM

Post #9 of 19 (1651 views)

Shortcut

Avoid a Daewoo brand. I think I spelled that correctly. Actually I think that name is history now....they were partly owned by GM, and have ceased operations, at least the Daewoo cars.

Anyway bought a new Daewoo "refer" in Ajijic and it has not performed well. 2 service calls in the first year. The door hinge does not seal well. I still think it needs a new compressor....... & the appliance store just "shrugs" their shoulders. I don't think anything carries a warranty in MX, at least that is my experience. Maybe Costco is better about that. They are very forgiving in the States.

I will probably start over with a replacement as I keep putting $$ in to this white enamel money loser, with poor results. You need "ice" for margaritas......si.......not liquid slush.

Not too mention that my CFE bill is way too expensive since that box arrived.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

(This post was edited by cristalhombre on Jul 21, 2006, 12:32 AM)

Bubba

Jul 21, 2006, 9:39 AM

Post #10 of 19 (1611 views)

Shortcut

Stop it on the Korean gas refrigerators already. The only good things to come out of Korea are Kim Chee and BulKogi. Stop it do you hear me.

mparrino

Jul 21, 2006, 1:30 PM

Post #11 of 19 (1585 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] LG refrigerator

Not that it really matters much, but LG actually stands for "Life's Good", and it's an electronics/appliance company that is growing more and more popular. http://us.lge.com/index.jhtml

Marcia
Marcia

RickS

Jul 21, 2006, 2:23 PM

Post #12 of 19 (1578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mparrino] LG refrigerator

You're right, it doesn't matter much, but actually "Life's Good" is their company slogan. See below.

LG Group (slogan: "Life's Good") is a large South Korean chaebol (conglomerate), producing electronics (including domotics), mobile phones, and petrochemical products.
The name LG comes from an abbreviation of "Lucky - Goldstar", the company's name until 1995. Before changing their name, many electronic products were sold under the brand name Goldstar, while some other household products (not available outside Korea) were sold under the brand name of "Lucky." The Lucky brand was famous for producing household cleaning products and laundry detergents in South Korea. Before massive industrialization of South Korean society, the name Lucky was synonymous with toothpaste (similar to Kleenex referring to a facial tissue paper).

mparrino

Jul 21, 2006, 2:42 PM

Post #13 of 19 (1572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] LG refrigerator

Aha! I stand corrected. Thanks for clarification.
Marcia

Rolly

Jul 21, 2006, 2:44 PM

Post #14 of 19 (1571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] LG refrigerator

I once had a Goldstar dual-well VCR. Pile of junk!

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Jul 21, 2006, 3:08 PM

Post #15 of 19 (1569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] LG refrigerator

Back in the old days, they were not that good but have come a long way in improving quality in recent years and also have become a much bigger outfit.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jul 21, 2006, 6:36 PM

Post #16 of 19 (1544 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] LG refrigerator

If the "old days" were in the late 70s & early 80s when I bought a Goldstar 13" color TV and a Microwave oven, which are still going strong without needing any service to date, I must have gotten the prime of the litter.
Getting older and still not down here.

patricio_lintz

Jul 21, 2006, 8:49 PM

Post #17 of 19 (1530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] LG refrigerator

I saw some really nice repros of antique Korean furniture in an asian grocery store (Asiaana on 43rd Ave and Union Hills) in Phoenix recently. Somewhat pricy. I also thought that Korean stuff was low rent before I saw this nice stuff.

I would love to furnish mi casa in VdL with this furniture, but could not afford it.

arbon

Jul 21, 2006, 9:03 PM

Post #18 of 19 (1526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bournemouth] LG refrigerator

Can't Post |

Rolly and
Bournemouth

Would you look at that above. I can't fix the line up?????????????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any way , yes I remember what Gold Star WAS like, but the design and manufacture of LG is now as good as any, if not better.

Very user friendly.

Any one remember how bad Honda Civics were, in the 60s-70s?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goody2shs

Jul 28, 2006, 9:01 PM

Post #19 of 19 (1427 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mparrino] LG refrigerator

Here in the U.S. LG products are starting to be considered the top of the offerings. They have been featured in the Parade of Homes (priced $1 mil.+) here in almost every showing. Sub Zero is still very desirable, but too pricey for most people, thus I have seen LG substituted in many cases for similar quality and looks.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4