Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubba

Jul 17, 2006, 7:54 AM

Post #26 of 48 (9233 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sharyn] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
That wasn´t me Sharyn. Someone has clearly stolen my password.

Poncho32

Jul 17, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #27 of 48 (9229 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well you your starting off right with the country your picking to live in we have called it our home for 36 years and love every minute of our stay.
Your questions are not simple to answer and because of your desire to live here I have some questions to ask you.
You state that humid hot conditions are not of your preference and you want shops and restaurants.
Things I believe that you need to also take into consideration, Medical, transportation.
The latter are not always readily available.
You also mentioned that you like to stay with a population of 150,000 or less .
Something that you might consider is locating close to a heavily populated are.
For instance we live in Puerto Vllarta, but actually five miles south of town.
There are many out lying towns surrounding Puerto Vallarta that are very nice places to live.
By situating yourself in a close by town you don't sacrifice some of the basic needs such as good medical.
I in courage you, as also mentioned by others, that you not make a snap decision and give yourself plenty of time to look and feel things out.
Good luck, Bud Crest

Sharyn

Jul 17, 2006, 9:18 AM

Post #28 of 48 (9210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bud Crest] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
Thanks Bud.

36 years, wow. What a lovely expat success story. I bet you guys have lots of wonderful stories to tell.

You are right. For me, the medical and other amenities are a given. I just thought that since most of the non-beach expat places I have read about is around 2 areas...Lake Chapala and San M. de A., there might be other towns I had not run across. I've not been to either of these. My vacations have been mostly to the coast, just remembered, Taxco too. I haven't actually been any one place in Mx that said "move here!!". PV is fabulous, and I love it. I only know the old town, and was dismayed the last time I went to find that in the 20 years between my visits, all the beaches had been built on! Still loved the town though, and the little vegan restaurant behind the church is so incredibly great. And I'm not even a vegetarian.

I am not familiar with the part of town you live in. Do you have pix anywhere on the web?

Cheers,

Sharyn

TigerTonio

Jul 17, 2006, 9:35 AM

Post #29 of 48 (9208 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I haven't actually been any one place in Mx that said "move here!!".

I'm a believer in that it WILL happen. It's a wonderful feeling that will hit you...and you'll just know.

All the advice given here will help -- everyone has his/her own vision of perfect living. But ultimately, it's you and your heart that will come to the final decison.

OT: And yes, there are some characters here at MexConnect (I sure do miss Ms. Powell!). But even the characters have contributed some great posts and I can't imagine this forum without them. My subscription to MexConnect has more than paid for itself from all the valuable information I've gleaned.

Rolly

Jul 17, 2006, 9:41 AM

Post #30 of 48 (9199 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sharyn, you might want to take a look at my blogs page. It has blogs from all over Mexico along with lots of pictures. http://rollybrook.com/blogs.htm

Rolly Pirate

Sharyn

Jul 17, 2006, 9:55 AM

Post #31 of 48 (9191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tio Toño] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
Thanks Tio Tono,

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

Bubba

Jul 17, 2006, 10:27 AM

Post #32 of 48 (9180 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
Now all is plain - the restraining influence of your wife is missing.

I don´t get it. What do guys not living with women do to restrain themselves? You know, I´ve lived with Brigitte since 1971 when she decided to escape her mother´s tiny inoxygenated prison in Paris´ 13th for the exquisite gardens along the Fowl River (or, more romatically the Ile Aux Oiseaux River) along the shores of the phantasmagoric and surreal Mobile Bay (a large estuary, actually and, if I have my facts right, the largest estuarine waterway south of Chesapeake Bay which is also an estuary) flying cockroaches and giant rats be damned and I´m puzzled to know what I would have been without her moderating influence but then it doesn´t matter does it since that did not not happen. and what we used to smoke on Mobile Bay we no longer smoke nor do we play Hotel California over and over again just for the guitar riff and while drinking almond liquor and thinking we are immortal.

I suspect that I would be pushing up daisies by now but maybe that is simply what she wants me to believe.

Anyway, while we suffered through 30 or more years of California washed out pastels and muted sounds primarily the buzz of traffic and people going, "God, I live in California and I could be in Nebraska...." if you know what I mean and we now reside in a tropical paradise where the colors and bird songs are not to be believed and we feel blessed to be in Mexico despite the leaky roof and will leave here feet first.

Any of you reading this questioning your inclination to move to Mexico just drop it and come here. You might, however, want to skip Peoria South along the muddy shores of Lake Chapala. Why not just move to the Moline Journey´s End Mobile Estates and shoot yourself.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 17, 2006, 10:40 AM)

MazDee

Jul 17, 2006, 7:49 PM

Post #33 of 48 (9099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
So where do you suggest she look, Bubba, now that you have put down every place she or anyone else mentioned? I found my place in Mazatlán, Sharyn, and it is perfect for me. Oh yeah, I have to get out of here sometimes in the summer but I find I can revive with 1 or 2 week trips to a higher elevation. Most of the year it is a very beautiful and friendly city, with many more cultural events than you can imagine, and that part is getting better all the time. We have excellent medical facilities and everything else I need. The summer humidity has made me try to look at places where I can be comfortable year around, or even just find a cheap apt in the mountains for 3 months a year. But, I like it here so much, that exercize has proved difficult. Give it a try. Come in the winter, then decide if you could handle the summer doldrums. Dee

Bubba

Jul 18, 2006, 7:23 AM

Post #34 of 48 (9044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
My apologies MazDee and Sharyn. One nice thing about Mexico is that it offers a number of very different alternatives.Actually, it is my intention, if I´m still on the planet, to spend my winters in Merida or the Oaxaca coast which are both near San Cristobal - my new stomping grounds. Just ignore clowns like me, Sharyn.

wendy devlin

Jul 18, 2006, 3:25 PM

Post #35 of 48 (8977 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba,

imho opinion, you play the part of devil's advocate...round these parts:)

Trouble with DA's, clowns and historic Tricksters, in these 'modern' times,
" Can't get no respect!"

quoting Rodney Dangerfield?

And anyone who
finds you too over the top, they can just flip the ignore button in their brain.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Jul 18, 2006, 3:27 PM)

DavidMcL

Jul 20, 2006, 11:01 AM

Post #36 of 48 (8709 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sharyn] Thread pruning.

| Private Reply
I have deleted a number of Postings that were not relevant to the original posing and were more appropriate as Private Replies..

David
David McL
WebJefe

Sharyn

Jul 20, 2006, 11:31 AM

Post #37 of 48 (8696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
Dee,

Thank you so much for your reply. I remember loving the coast at Christmastime one year long ago, so you may have it right. If I can afford two places somehow, wouldn't that be grand!!

Sharyn

Jul 20, 2006, 11:35 AM

Post #38 of 48 (8696 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba,

I can see the fun of you. I was perplexed why ya turned on me there, but it was explained privately that you may have thought I had never been to Mexico because I said I had never been to Mexico to look for a place to live. I like your other posts very much and thank you for them.

MariaLund

Jul 20, 2006, 1:48 PM

Post #39 of 48 (8668 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tio Toño] Where to Live?

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To
I haven't actually been any one place in Mx that said "move here!!".

I'm a believer in that it WILL happen. It's a wonderful feeling that will hit you...and you'll just know.

:-(( Now, I wish I knew to whom I should complain that this wonderful feeling, Tio Tono refers to, never hits me.
There are plenty (waaay too many, in fact) places in the world that say to me "live here... for a while" but no place that would say "live here". I like every place I live - for a while - then I start looking for some other place (usually contrasting in some way the place I live in at the moment), then I move, I explore, I like it, then I start missing some place from the past for a while, consider moving there, then I change my mind and think "may be just one more adventure before I get too old and too decrepit for it " and I go on that adventure... I explore, I like it.... and so da capo al fine.

But finally I am moving to Mexico (which I was thinking about off and on and off again for almost 3 years now) ... for a while, I guess... in early September... I'll stay in Ajijic for a few weeks just to explore it, then move to Costa Allegre (probably La Manzanilla - seems like it has the nicest beach and snorkeling and a jungle: all of them on my list of most favorite things :-)) and then to Acapulco, where my friends recently moved, to go yachting with them, and - as I promised - give a serious consideration to living there... for a while. ;-)

Who ever said life has to be stable, one has to have a permanent place to live, the same interests, the same neighbors, the same sights to see?

But to be free, it is good to either sell or rent your house. And then, Sharon, you can test - and taste - various places to live at your leisure. Good luck.
Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse est!

wendy devlin

Jul 20, 2006, 2:52 PM

Post #40 of 48 (8655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MariaLund] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
Maria Lund,

Several of my friends winter each year at La Manzanilla. It is such a small place you will likely run into them. They like snorkelling, hiking and everything you mentioned.

You can post questions on the forum at www.lamanzanilla.info but again the village is so small, you will likely to be able to figure most things out when you get there.

We have usually chosen to stay in Melaque but often party/hike in La Manzanilla!

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Jul 20, 2006, 2:53 PM)

DoDi2

Jul 21, 2006, 3:55 PM

Post #41 of 48 (8554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Where to Live?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
"Brigitte is in San Cristobal planning stuff like where to position the television set"

¿Balanced on top of a partially opened door perhaps?

arbon~ that made me spit coffee all over my keyboard

Lavanda

Nov 12, 2006, 7:54 PM

Post #42 of 48 (8435 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba]

|
Dear Moderator

(as I bite my tongue whilst it
is in my cheek)

Do Bubba's witty rejoinders need
to be moved to the Prattle forum?

!! Viva Mexico, warts and all !!!

Judy in Ags

Nov 12, 2006, 11:30 PM

Post #43 of 48 (8414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
'Just a word to add to morgaine7's comments about finding the right place in one trip. If you've read my blog, you'll see we did that. We've lived here 3 years and 7 months now and never regretted it for a minute, so it is possible to fall in "love at first sight".

bfwpdx

Nov 13, 2006, 6:41 AM

Post #44 of 48 (8379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
I agree with Judy that you can find the right place in one trip (with luck). In our case though, it had nothing to do with "falling in love" but with just plain common sense, a lot of past thinking about what exactly we needed and wanted, a lifetime of travel and living in third world countries, and a short list of flexible requirements. I still am not "in love" with our place, but I do love it and expect to have that grow more over the years...by the way here is our short list: location convenient to resources (30 mins to Guadalajara) but a healthy distance from the expatriate hordes (5 mins to Jocotepec, 15 mins to Ajijic); sunshine; warmth. The rest was personal preference and gut feelings (and luck). I know this sounds like it was simple, but it wasn't and it would take me a book to explain it all in depth. The good part is that after 5 years, we are still on the same plan we had when we first arrived in 2001, we have our snowbirding nest almost finished, we still feel confident in the choices we made, and we are content.

jerezano

Nov 13, 2006, 9:13 AM

Post #45 of 48 (8338 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hello Sharyn,

Seems to me that Bubba is having a great day. How could it get better?

Seriously Sharyn, your original post does seem a bit wide-eyed and dreamy. Bubba is right. It is the question of a 12 year old wide-eyed girl who is waiting for Prince Charming on his White Stallion. For us older folk those days are gone forever. Nobody is going to hand you anything on a silver platter.

Here on mexconnect if you will lurk on the forums and do some searching you will find that most of us in México, no matter where we live are more or less in love with our life style. You will be too. But you need to sit down and seriously talk to yourself, what are your needs such as time to the border, how you will get there by car, bus, air or mule. Or perhaps like Bubba you will prefer not to get back to base at all. Your idea about hot humid tropical climates shows that at least you have started to think. Your comment about the need for gringo companionship also shows elementary thinking.

But you first need to think seriously about income for the rest of your life. Selling a house, even if you get more than a million dollars for it will not in todays world pay for many years of a comfortable life. Then you need to think about physical health and well-being. As we age our bodies tend to falter faster than our minds.

Once you have settled questions about getting back to base for whatever reasons, income for life, potential health needs, etc. then you need to start worrying about the smaller things: Children, friends, isolation, noise, climate, culture shock, personal wants and desires, etc.

I would recommend where I live here in Jerez de García Salinas without hesitation, I would also recommend without hesitation Tepic in Nayarit. Perhaps with lots of income Ajijic, Chapala or if you must have night life San Miguel Allende. I would never recommend Patzcuaro, Morelia, Monterrey, La Paz, or even Guadalajara--but then that is where those subtle desires begin to show. I am just as opinionated as Bubba but I don't express myself so forcefully or colorfully.

Study. Study. Study. Get all the information you can but FIRST OF ALL KNOW YOURSELF.

And no matter what you hear, Bubba is right. There ain't no paradise in México, not even San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
Paradise is what you make of where you are. And like happiness you can get it to come close but it doesn't hang around. You have to work at both.

Now a philosophical question which is not aimed at you, Sharyn, but as a real oldster I wonder how my generation produced two generations of children who can't think. Some day a future philosopher will perhaps answer that question. I suppose my own grandfathers are up there in heaven or rolling around in hell thinking exactly the same thing.

God Speed and Adiós. jerezano

Sharyn

Nov 13, 2006, 5:21 PM

Post #46 of 48 (8268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Where to Live?

| Private Reply
jerezano,

I think gathering information by asking questions of people who have been there and done that, people who have opinions about what they have seen and tasted in the way of Mexico is a very intelligent and valid way to enrich my other research. I marvel at how many assumptions you make about my wide-eyedness, my age, what degree of other research I may have already done. And without one question first. Do you have a crystal ball, or were you born knowing everything?

MazDee

Nov 13, 2006, 9:50 PM

Post #47 of 48 (8211 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sharyn, I thought Jerezano gave you a well thought out piece of advice. He is a wonderful contributor to this site, and I look forward to his messages. I think he was telling you not to jump into this with your eyes closed. You need to travel this country and find out what YOU like and dislike about it. And maybe you won't like it at all. Nobody else can tell you what you will like, right? Now that you have done some research here, you should start visiting all the places that have been recommended and then some. Read Jerezano's message again, and think of him as someone trying to help, not insult you. Dee

Georgia

Nov 14, 2006, 6:52 AM

Post #48 of 48 (8172 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba! Wake up! If everyone does as you suggest and all the ex-pats coming here move to San Cristobal de las Casas ..... well.... where would you be then? Think: different strokes.

Consider this: every once in awhile when I mention where I live, newcomers tell me they've heard that out here there is scarce electricity, no water and no paved roads. I sigh, and agree.

Think about it.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4