Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

kmetzger

Jul 7, 2006, 12:20 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1248 views)

Shortcut

Raw sewage

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello all - I live in Guadalajara and have been having a problem with a leaky sewer line. For the past three weeks, raw sewage has been pouring out of a manhole close to my house and flowing down into the barranca. I asked a neighbor to call the city about two weeks ago and she told me she had called them, but so far nothing has happened.
The smell is terrible, of course, and I suppose there are plenty of health issues too.
Question: can someone tell me the title of the city department I should call about this so I can look it up in the yellow pages? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kim

jerezano

Jul 7, 2006, 2:14 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Raw sewage

Hello,

Your city has a Public Works Department, (?)Algo de Obras Públicas. Go down and see them. Face to face works best.

The problem you are going to run into is that in some cities that sewerage problem is under the jurisdiction of the Department which supplies water and takes care of the drainage. So, if you do go to Public Works, they just may send you off to a different department.

However, you will eventually get to the right place.

When you do, you may be surprised at how helpful they will be. But even then, rescue may not be scheduled for a week or two or more, so you need to keep going back until everything is taken care of.

If it takes too long, it would not hurt to complain to the Public Health Department. Perhaps do it at the same time.

Here is how things work in Mexico. I had a neighbor raising a pig on his side of the wall behind my back yard. Odor and flies absolutely terrible. I complained to Public Health. First time, nothing happened. A week later I visited them again. Next week they made an inspection and talked to the owner---it is illegal in my town to keep farm animals within the city limits. They negotiated with the owner who was raising the pig for Christmas. He could raise it, kiill it, and eat it for Christmas (this was June) but no future animals. I had to be content with that. After Christmas I never had the problem again.

Adios. jerezano.

esperanza

Jul 7, 2006, 2:26 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Raw sewage

The Guadalajara telephone number for SIAPA (Sistema Intermunicipial para los Servicios de Agua Potable y Alcantarillado, the water company) is 3668-2482.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4