Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Bloviator

Jul 4, 2006, 9:22 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2670 views)

Shortcut

Need Tepic Hotel

Can't Post | Private Reply
After checking various sources, I find no references for hotels in Tepic. Please help. We need to find a nice hotel in Tepic. We prefer one on a major plaza, but that is not absolutely necessary.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

MazDee

Jul 4, 2006, 10:05 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2664 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Need Tepic Hotel

I stayed at the Hotel Sierra de Álica last week. It is a very nice budget hotel and was only $290 a day (single room) including full breakfast. Across the street, facing the main plaza is Hotel Frey, a more deluxe establishment. I am sure you would be happy there. Don´t know the rates.

Bloviator

Jul 4, 2006, 3:01 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Need Tepic Hotel

Thanks for the suggestion. The Hotel Frey Junipero Serra is what I'm looking for. Can't seem to find a phone #, email address, website, or any other of the various ways to make a reservations. Guess we'll just show up and hope that the rates are OK and that there are rooms at the inn.

Any idea how I might contact them. Have tried numerous approaches and Tepic websites.

MazDee

Jul 4, 2006, 4:26 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Need Tepic Hotel

I am sure you could just show up. It is a large hotel and I can´t imagine any circumstance when they would be fully booked other than for a very large fiesta or conference. BTW, Tepic is a nice little city. The weather was refreshing after Mazatlán´s humidity. Quite warm, but drier and less oppressive by far. Have fun.

jerezano

Jul 4, 2006, 8:37 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Need Tepic Hotel

Hello,

The Hotel Frey is right on the Zócolo. It is also a 4 star hotel with 4 star prices.

The Hotel Álica is right across the street from the Hotel Frey. It is a clean, comfortable, well maintained and serviced family type hotel.

I have stayed at both and find the purported luxury of the Hotel Frey (where the President of Mexico stays when he overnights in Tepic) not worth the extra money. The restaurant on the other hand is reasonable and the food is good with a much wider choice and better trained service than the small home-type restaurant at the Álica.

At the Frey you will also be forced into leaving much larger tips. The atmosphere requires it.

Both hotels have guarded parking for your car.

Just off the plaza to the south are two other 3 and 4 star hotels. At least one of these has guarded parking and a web site where you can make reservations.

Lots of good restaurants in Tepic. Good tourist infrastructure. The Tourist trolleys are free but require reservations. You should take the one that runs up the signature mountain to the South. I never can remember the name of that mountain.

Up surrounding the Loma Park there are a number of 3 star hotels and lots of restaurants running from excellent to pizza parlors. Also there is a pie and ice cream parlor up there which is to die for.

The climate at Tepic is semi-tropical. You might take a windbreaker against rain, just in case. It can get a bit chilly when that happens. I nearly froze to death in the winter at an outside wedding and the father of the groom was in bed with the flu for two weeks following. We older folk are fragile.

I don't think you will need reservations at any of the hotels in Tepic. It is not a tourist town. And so far as I know there are no special festivals going on at this time.

However, if you insist on reservations, make a google search for Tepic Nayarit and you will be given a list of hotels with web sites or ties to Expedia and other reservation agents.

Check immediately with the tourist offices about cultural events planned during the days you are there. You may be lucky. Tepic has a very active cultural life. They also have a popular restaurant or cantina or night club, whatever you might call it that has entertainment nightly and is always packed with the locals. Unfortunately I can't remember its name either.

If you are vegetarian, there are at least four rather good vegetarian restaurants in Tepic.

Tepic is not famous for its colonial architecture. In fact, it appears for the most part to be a rather pedestrian city. Nevertheless, it is one of my favorite Mexican cities and I would recommend it heartily as a place to retire. Its one drawback is its location, which isolates it from the rest of Mexico. Good beaches---Los Cocos in particular---an hour and a half away. San Blas about 2 hours. You will not find many gringos in Tepic, although there is a nucleus of at least 10 or so.

If I can help with any other information let me know. Depending on when you are going, I could make inquiries for you. Unfortunately my e mail correspondents down there don't make daily e mail checks.

Adios. jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Jul 4, 2006, 8:41 PM)

jerezano

Jul 4, 2006, 9:03 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Need Tepic Hotel

Hello,

It just ocurred to me that you might want to stay out at La Loma Park rather than on the main plaza in Tepic. I have walked many times the 8 or 10 blocks from the Park to the Zácalo.

The La Loma Motel is very reasonable, clean, comfortable, with a good restaurant and a pool, Its web site is

http://bsd.tepic.megared.net.mx/~mlaloma/

When I checked for Tepic hotels through google, I found you were right. The only hotel web site I found that I can recommend is Las Palomas which is way south from the main plaza. However it is very close to Wal Mart and Soriana. It also has a very, very good restaurant. The hotel number is given but the lada may still be listed as 3. It is 311.

If you look for Tepic Journal via google you will find Cliff's web site which has a lot of information, but it is really a mess trying to find your way through all the chaff. Still, if I remember rightly he does post the daily Tepic newspaper together with its classified ads---apartments for example. Furnished apartments are available all over the city but usually they want at least a one month rental.

Adios again. jerezano.

Bloviator

Jul 5, 2006, 5:35 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Need Tepic Hotel

Thanks for the comment. Could you PM me directions to get to the park you mention as we come in from Guadalajara? I'd appreciate the help.

I tried to access Cliff's website, but can't get on for some reason.

The Frey Junipero Serra sounds good, but so does the hotel you mention. We just want someplace where we can walk around, get a light meal, sit at a restaurant in the evening with one or two tequilas watching the people, and get out quickly in the morning, as we are outbound to CA. and want to get on the road early to avoid the weekending Tapatios massing to Maz on the section west of Tepic where the cuota is not yet finished.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4