Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

mrsgroom

Jul 2, 2006, 2:13 PM

Post #1 of 15 (7367 views)

Shortcut

Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, I have two things I love to do to make extra few bucks for me and my hubby, I can make crafts and sell them here in Florida at craft shows , and Im a Professional Dog and Cat Groomer and Sitter. Can anyone tell me if any of these things can be done in Mexico?
I was thinking about people who travel with their pets, grooming them while they are there or pet sitting when they go on a trip for a few days.
I have 30 years experance and I just hate to think I will not be loving someones little pet again. Sherry Mrsgroom@aol.com
Thanks for your help. I love this, but its all new to me.

Code

esperanza

Jul 2, 2006, 3:54 PM

Post #2 of 15 (7346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mrsgroom] Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

Hello Sherry,
There are two things you need to keep in mind when you're thinking of working in Mexico. One, to do any sort of work you need to have legal working papers. Two, foreigners are not permitted to do any sort of work that Mexicans are able to do.

You'll find that there are many, many Mexican animal groomers all over the country. Plus, Mexicans are world-famous for their artesanía--craft work. You'll probably find that you can sell your crafts for charity (at a church bazaar, for example, where all the proceeds go to the church) but you won't be able to sell for personal profit.

When you've been settled for a while in the town you choose, you may be able to house/pet sit for other expatriates, but again, not for personal profit.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mrsgroom

Jul 2, 2006, 4:01 PM

Post #3 of 15 (7338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping I could do something since im now retired , My Husband can teach English, he is certified. So I guess that is the way we will have to go. Maybe the new president will change things. Seems funny, here in Florida all the Mexicans have the jobs. :) but cant get one in Mexico.

esperanza

Jul 2, 2006, 4:29 PM

Post #4 of 15 (7330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mrsgroom] Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

Many Mexicans go to the USA to work because jobs are so scarce here in their own country. I'm sure you wouldn't want to take a single job from any Mexican who would prefer not to leave family and friends behind to try for work in a foreign place.

mrsgroom

Jul 2, 2006, 8:59 PM

Post #5 of 15 (7275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

Oh No, I know nothing about Mexico, just thought I would ask before I did something I shouldnt. My comment about rules in Mexico was only because here in Florida we have many Mexicans working (which is fine) but they seem to be working and making a living for their family's. The goverment is what I was talking about , not the people. :) sherry

Bloviator

Jul 3, 2006, 5:27 AM

Post #6 of 15 (7244 views)

Shortcut

I'm probably wrong, but I detect a bit of anti Mexican bias in both your postings. If I am right, you might re-consider your decision to move here.

You may not believe it, but Mexico is full of Mexicans. Some even have relatives in Florida taking all lucrative orange picking jobs away from Floridians.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jul 3, 2006, 5:29 AM)

mrsgroom

Jul 3, 2006, 6:07 AM

Post #7 of 15 (7236 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

Im so sorry, Im trying to get myself out of this and I seem to be getting myself in deeper, Im NOT anti anything !!!!!!!!!!!! My grandchildren are Mexicans, I love them deeply. Im sorry if I seemed that way. All I was doing was saying something about working there and how odd the GOVERMENTS view of things are. Again Im sorry sherry

ncferret

Jul 3, 2006, 6:28 AM

Post #8 of 15 (7227 views)

Shortcut

"Two, foreigners are not permitted to do any sort of work that Mexicans are able to do."

This is one of the biggest misconceptions that I consistently see repeated on many forums. You MAY be permitted to do ANY type of work as long as you have permission from your local immigration office. For example, my wife teaches various exercise classes and I do graphics design work. Plenty of Mexicans can do those jobs here in Mazatlan. I know people working in construction, serving and cooking food in restaurants, retail, etc. All working legally. Not everyone sells real estate or timeshares.

Generally, when you go to the immigration office, they will ask you for proof of your abilities to do a specific job. There are no quotas or limitations on the type of work - at least not here in Mazatlan. The only difficulties I know of, are in technical professions when there are licensing requirements - doctors, dentists, engineers, etc. There are also some industries (native crafts being one such example) that are protected by federal laws.

Now as to the wages you will be paid, that is another story.

(This post was edited by ncferret on Jul 3, 2006, 6:32 AM)

esperanza

Jul 3, 2006, 6:36 AM

Post #9 of 15 (7222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

In Reply To
Generally, when you go to the immigration office, they will ask you for proof of your abilities to do a specific job. There are no quotas or limitations on the type of work - at least not here in Mazatlan.

Beach areas are very different from the interior in the work that foreigners are allowed to do. As in most things Mexican, one's personal experience is not the only experience.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 3, 2006, 6:37 AM)

RickS

Jul 3, 2006, 6:39 PM

Post #10 of 15 (7131 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza et. al.

I have always heard that the law was as you state, but as I look around here in Ajijic I see many examples that make it obvious that the law is seemingly not being administered as written..... big time! I see scores of non-Mexicans owing, managing and working in occupations that could be and are also owned, managed and worked in by Nationals. Examples are: Real Estate, auto sales, restaurants, art galleries, clothing shops, furniture shops, B&Bs, etc. etc. etc.

So it appears to me that non-nationals can work here, away from the coast, in many 'professions' in direct competition with Nationals, and seemingly be above board, certainly advertising their services in every manner possible. What or who determines, for example, that the OP could not come in and also set up her part-time "Poochie Bath and Walk" business right along side Nationals who offer the same services?

How is the distinction drawn? What am I missing? Color me curious (but not at ALL desirous of re-entering the workforce!).

esperanza

Jul 3, 2006, 6:53 PM

Post #11 of 15 (7124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Making Crafts and selling them, is this possiable? Pet grooming and Pet sitting?

The primary difference right now is that unless something has changed in the last couple of months, NO work permits are being issued to foreigners at Lake Chapala. I've heard of some employers jumping through hoops in Mexico City to attempt to get around the current Jalisco ban on work permits for non-Mexicans, but even most of those attempts have failed.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 3, 2006, 6:54 PM)

RickS

Jul 3, 2006, 7:11 PM

Post #12 of 15 (7114 views)

Shortcut

OK, but that still leaves me curious. Let's hypothesize (or go back a year) when a moratorium was not in affect. Clear up my confusion about the law and how it was seemingly not being applied in Ajijic. Is seems like the situation that ncferret described in Mazatlan is exactly what goes on here, but yet I always heard that the law says ..........

ncferret

Jul 4, 2006, 6:15 AM

Post #13 of 15 (7070 views)

Shortcut

When I was in Zacatecas last year there was no such ban either. I believe the law allows each individual immigration office to decide who can work and in what occupations. That's my understanding anyway.

Anyone "know" the law? Can someone point to where it actually says that a foreigner can't do work being done by a Mexican national?

flyingcrane

Jul 4, 2006, 8:07 AM

Post #14 of 15 (7043 views)

Shortcut

Hi,
This is an interesting debate and I have been wanting to ask some questions about something similar for awhile. I am in the process of developing a website with my children currenting living in AZ. I want to retire in 3 years and run the website and develop/produce the products. The products besides tshirts would be craft baskets from villages. My question is if I create a tshirt production studio in MX perhaps hiring local Mexican people to work and shipping/selling outside the country, is this considered working in Mexico for personal profit, if the profit does not come from Mexico?
Marie

Marlene

Jul 4, 2006, 9:10 AM

Post #15 of 15 (7019 views)

Shortcut

That is a very good point Esperanza, however there is one area that Mazatlan seems to have much in common with areas inland, and that is with the numbers of foreign owned B & B's that aren't licensed or reporting taxes. Hacienda is missing out big-time in this area. I suppose it will take deportations and fines for foreigners to get the full picture that what they are doing is unlawful.

And contrary to the statement made that there are no quotas or limitations on the type of work foreigners can do, this is just not so. The education system would be just one example, where there exists a percentage restriction on the numbers of foreign teachers permitted on staff. (VERY LOW percentage)

A point that also wasn't made completely clear in this thread is that many working foreigners are business owners, paying taxes, then doing only the activities outlined. That's different than being hired by someone to do a job. If a foreign employer needs employees, they are expected to hire Mexican employees. That is useful to the economy and is encouraged. There seems no problem getting permissions here in Mazatlan (if you follow the steps) to open your own business, unless it is something that is protected by the Constitution, Unions or tough guys! (Like jobs along the beach, water sports or tours.....a foreigner certainly wouldn't tread on that territory for long)

The beach towns and cities are plagued with foreign musicians on working vacations during peak winter tourist season. Many are boldly receiving money under the table, while a few claim to be doing it for tips and fun, or for food and drink. They either don't get or don't care that they are taking income away from a Mexican. Mexican musicians need those winter jobs because late spring/summer/Fall is lay-off time.

Foreign owned hotels and resorts are known to hire bilingual foreign management teams, but the balance of the hotel or resort employees will be Mexican. Mexicans pay to study English along with their other trades, in order to work in the tourists and foreigners need to understand and respect how difficult it is for them to make ends meet. It's no vacation for hard working Mexican families.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4