Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

burtonjt

Jul 1, 2006, 8:04 PM

Post #1 of 45 (7635 views)

Shortcut

Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Can you apply for a senior discount card in Nogales? Can anyone get one that is over 60 and has a FM3?

johanson

Jul 1, 2006, 9:25 PM

Post #2 of 45 (7598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [burtonjt] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Hey, I am not quite sure what you mean. I'm over that age, yes I get a 10% discount at Burger king in the states, but so far my hasn't gotten me a discount for anything in Mexico.

I do remember something about discounts for bus passes or something, but I never take the bus.

esperanza

Jul 1, 2006, 11:57 PM

Post #3 of 45 (7590 views)

Shortcut

Re: [burtonjt] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
You are eligible to apply for the Gente Grande (INAPAM) card, formerly known as the INSEN card, if you are 60 years old or older and have migratory status of FM-2 or Inmigrado. INAPAM is a national program. In some places, you apply for it at your local DIF office. In others, you apply directly at the INAPAM offices.

With the card, you are eligible for discounts on bus travel (both local and long distance), purchases at Gigante stores, your annual water bill (provided the bill is in your name), and numerous other benefits.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Georgia

Jul 2, 2006, 5:47 AM

Post #4 of 45 (7578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
So, if you live in the Lake Chapala area, does anyone know where to apply?

esperanza

Jul 2, 2006, 5:57 AM

Post #5 of 45 (7570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
You apply at the DIF office in Chapala.

Georgia

Jul 2, 2006, 6:04 AM

Post #6 of 45 (7565 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks, Esperanza. May I assume it is in the Ayuntamiento building?

Bubba

Jul 2, 2006, 6:40 AM

Post #7 of 45 (7559 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
DIF in CHapala is on Degollado to apply for the card you need 4 pictures infantil size 2 copies of your FM2 (all pages) and your blood type . it takes about 2 weeks. The office is open from 10 to 2 Monday through Friday 10 AM to 2PM .
You must have an FM2 do not bother to go by if you do not have one.
DIF has classes on nutrition personal care, folk dancing, sewing clothes, embroidering etc.. it also has a small library. It also offers classes in English and adult education.
If you live in the Jocotopec municipality you probably should check with DIF in Jocotopec before showing up in Chapala. The various DIF offices in the delegations such as Ajijic , San Antonio etc do not issue the card.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 2, 2006, 8:09 AM)

sioux4noff

Jul 2, 2006, 8:13 AM

Post #8 of 45 (7531 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
While that particular office requires an FM2, there are others that give holders of FM3s the card. When my husband turns 60 in January, we will find out which is the case here. I think we can apply at the DIF office in Valle de Banderas, Nayarit.

MazDee

Jul 2, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #9 of 45 (7530 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The requirements for the INAPAM card are different in Mazatlán, and probably other place as well. Here, you need only an FM3, although there was a time when an FM2 was required. You must be at least 60 years old. You apply at the DIF office after having gone to the post office for something called a CURP (an identification number of some kind). Passport, immigration document and proof of address are requested. Your picture is taken on-the-spot, when they issue the card. You receive the card immediately. It appears that federal regulations are less stringent than those being applied in Chapala, so for those living elsewhere it would be worthwhile to check with the local DIF. Long distance buses are half-price with the card and I have saved a LOT that way in my travels around Mexico. I also often get a discount at hotels. A great deal for those who qualify, especially those who travel a lot.

esperanza

Jul 2, 2006, 8:29 AM

Post #10 of 45 (7519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
When I applied for my INAPAM card in Guadalajara, the requirements for people not born in Mexico were: (1) copy (not original) of proof of FM-2, Inmigrado, or Mexican citizenship document and (2) copy of a comprobante de domicilio (Telmex or CFE bill). The Guadalajara INAPAM office does not require people born outside Mexico to have a CURP* (Clave Ünica de Registro de Población), although foreigners may also apply for this number.

As MazDee said, the photo was taken on the spot and the card was issued immediately. I'll be traveling to the DF by bus later this month; the cost of bus fare on ETN will be 50% of the usual 1100 pesos. Such a deal.

*The CURP is a national identification number. With the CURP number on file in government computers, it's possible to verify that the document (in this case, the INAPAM card) you hold is not a forgery, but in fact belongs to you alone.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jul 2, 2006, 8:45 AM)

Bubba

Jul 2, 2006, 8:35 AM

Post #11 of 45 (7516 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well it looks like each municipality has its own rule so people have to check with their local DIF to get the answer. I know we tied to apply a couple of years ago with the FM3 in Chapala and we were told FM2 only. I could not even take a class without the FM2.
We applied for the card last week in Chapala and the requirements for Chapala were as listed.

patricio_lintz

Jul 2, 2006, 9:39 AM

Post #12 of 45 (7494 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
DIF is on Calle Degollado near the correo. You will need your FM2 or FM3, a certified blood typing from a Mexican laboratory,your birth certificate and four photos, Mexican visa size, frontal view.
Search INSEN for older posts on this card.

(This post was edited by patricio_lintz on Jul 2, 2006, 9:41 AM)

Bubba

Jul 2, 2006, 10:01 AM

Post #13 of 45 (7486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [patricio_lintz] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
To clarify what Patricio has said. . I just applied for my discount card at DIF last week in Chapala and have been approved. I will get the card in 15 days from approval. I submitted the following:
Two copies of FM-2 - all pages. They will not accept an FM-3
Four "fotografias infantil". You can have these made in a couple of minutes just down the street.
You need to know your blood type. They did not require that I prove my blood type but I did give them a copy of my Jalisco driver´s license which lists your (unproven) blood type.

If you are a Mexican citizen with no FM-2, they will want your birth certificate. However, if you are an FM-2 holder this is not required.

The card is free.

There are some really valuable discounts on domestic bus and airline fares. This will be most helpful to us with two homes in Jalisco and Chiapas 1,100 kilometers apart. Our first class bus ticket will be 50% off and air fares with about 30% off. This is a hell of a savings. We understand that our annual water bill will also be cut in half. There are a number of other savings that make it worthwhile to get this card if you are 60 or older and an FM-2 holder.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 2, 2006, 10:17 AM)

MazDee

Jul 2, 2006, 10:13 AM

Post #14 of 45 (7481 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Since this thread is on the general forum, I think it is important to emphasize again that the FM2 is NOT required in all locations, nor is the method of application the same. Interested persons should check with the closest DIF.

mkirkpatrick

Jul 2, 2006, 8:47 PM

Post #15 of 45 (7410 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Wow! You know-I am not too sure if I am reading this right-we have Americans (and presumably Canadians) looking for discounts off the Mexican economy,because they are "old".

I realise that it's nice to get a bargain in my home country because of all the taxes I have paid over my lifetime.

But to come to Mexico,and suck off the economy-all the while being RICH(for the most part)??

Am I just being overly self-righteous? Help me here.

Mike Kirkpatrick

Jerry@Ajijic

Jul 2, 2006, 8:55 PM

Post #16 of 45 (7401 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have heard that one reason for the difference in requirements is that the law supposedly says "the applicant must be a permanent resident of Mexico". Some think that means FM2s and some think a FM3 holder could still be a "permanent resident and in fact many are.

Judy in Ags

Jul 2, 2006, 9:06 PM

Post #17 of 45 (7400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkirkpatrick] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Think of it as a little return on all the taxes you're paying for the benefits the illegal Mexicans are reaping in the USA. And don't forget--you're paying 15% tax on EVERYTHING you buy here in Mexico. I think they can afford a little discount for us who spend SO much money here!

Bubba

Jul 2, 2006, 9:25 PM

Post #18 of 45 (7390 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Well, Mike, at first I thought you were being a bit self-righteous but look what you brought out from under the stone you just overturned:

Think of it as a little return on all the taxes you're paying for the benefits the illegal Mexicans are reaping in the USA. And don't forget--you're paying 15% tax on EVERYTHING you buy here in Mexico. I think they can afford a little discount for us who spend SO much money here!

If this sort of attitude doesn´t make your skin crawl, dear reader, then maybe you should reconsider any plans to move to Mexico or to continue to stay here if you´ve already arrived.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jul 2, 2006, 9:27 PM)

Judy in Ags

Jul 2, 2006, 9:30 PM

Post #19 of 45 (7385 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, Bubba, for some reason you've chosen to wage a continuing war with me. I had no bad feelings in anything I wrote, although you seem to interpret everything I write in that light.

I hope the rest of you didn't take it that way, as it was not at all mal-intentioned.

Bubba's always trying to make me leave the country, but we love it here and have no problems with the country, the people, its customs (albiet they're some times very "different").

So, Bubba, invite me to leave as many times as you like, but I'm here to stay and loving it.

MazDee

Jul 2, 2006, 9:35 PM

Post #20 of 45 (7384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkirkpatrick] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
I am not "rich," unless you compare my wealth with my maid or other persons who work too hard for too little. I am discovering Mexico, in my own way, and I am on a budget. I can travel the country and discover it with the senior card. I long ago gave up guilt as a reason to put off my desire to travel cheaply. The bus lines and hotels can afford to give me a discount. I, in turn, probably spend a hundred times more, maybe a thousand, than my maid, and have enriched many hotels and restaurants as a result. I don´t know what your problem is. This is a benefit which has been offered to us older full-time residents, and I don´t have a problem using it. And BTW, I do give back to this country in other ways. Sorry for the tirade.

nfabq

Jul 2, 2006, 11:04 PM

Post #21 of 45 (7365 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sorry ,Judy, but I vote with Bubba on this one.You may not have meant it as it sounds, but it sounds like the "Ugly American."

Norm

esperanza

Jul 3, 2006, 4:07 AM

Post #22 of 45 (7356 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

When I read what Judy wrote, my jaw hit the floor in shock. "Think of it as a little return on all the taxes you're paying for the benefits the illegal Mexicans are reaping in the USA...I think they can afford a little discount for us who spend SO much money here!" All of you here on MexConnect know that I am rarely left speechless by other folks' attitudes and conceptions about Mexico and its citizens, but these statements take the cake.

The INAPAM card is available to anyone who meets the requirements. In that way, it's like Social Security in the USA. The retired CEO of a major stateside corporation is just as entitled to his Social Security check as the woman who worked all her life cleaning his office.

The day that I was in the Guadalajara INAPAM office making my application, older Mexicans of every economic strata were waiting with me. The bent old man wearing a tattered shirt and broken huaraches sat cheek by jowl with an elegant white-haired woman wearing a silk dress and designer pumps. Middle-aged children sat with disabled elderly parents who needed help applying for the card. The more youthful old (including me) sat and chatted about the then-upcoming elections and the state of the República while we waited our turns. And for anyone to whom it makes a difference, yes, I am a Mexican citizen. My monthly income and what I spend in Mexico are a fortune to the man in the tattered shirt. They're a day's pocket change to many, many other Mexicans.

"They" and "we" is an insidious and perfidious comparison that speaks loudly about entitlement and discrimination. No matter how much or how often anyone who talks about "them" and "us" proclaims his or her love of Mexicans, there is something else going on just under the surface. That something else is ugly and festering and just plain wrong. It's the same kind of thinking that allows folks in the States to avert their eyes from the continuing aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

We're all in this world together, folks. When we forget that, we've lost sight of who we really are.

"Do not ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

Bloviator

Jul 3, 2006, 5:39 AM

Post #23 of 45 (7339 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sorry. Much as I hate to agree with Bubba, he seems to be right on with his comment and I have no quarrel with you. You seem to generally be a thoughtful and interesting person who provides a lot of insight to the forum.

There is a lot of misinformation (or perhaps, I should lack of any way to determine reality) as to the cost to the US economy from the illegal immigrants. While there is no question that there are a lot of social costs, particularly in border states, with unquantifiable economic consequences, there is a real question as to whether the economic impact of illegal labor is a positive or negative NoB.

I don't think anyone can know for sure, due to the economic consequences of the social changes and dislocations, even an approximation of the cost/benefits of immigrants to the US economy.

I do know that if they should all be removed as many advocate, there would be humongous social and economic costs both to the US and to Mexico for quite a long time.

bfwpdx

Jul 3, 2006, 6:03 AM

Post #24 of 45 (7332 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
When I read this thread, it made me cringe with shame. Esperanza is right, it is a Global Village we inhabit, and there is no place in it for those who are deluded into thinking they are superior to others. We are all God's children folks, and contrary to popular belief, He doesn't just bless or otherwise favour those born in America. I feel diminished by the attitude expressed by Judy. If anything it just makes me very very sad.

Judy in Ags

Jul 3, 2006, 7:09 AM

Post #25 of 45 (7319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nfabq] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Boy, apparently my writing needs a lot of improvement. My statement which so shocked and enraged everyone was not written written with any feeling or superiority, or resentment, with toward the illegals, or any of the many other attitudes I have been tagged with. Some of our best friends back in Kansas are illegal and I certainly don't resent them or any of the others. I recognize that overall the immigration problem is a huge one and certainly beyond my ability to sort it all out.

Apparently by all the outrage, I did sound like the Ugly American and I apologize. In the future I will be much more careful to word things as they might sound to others, rather than how I intended them to sound.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4