First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jerezano

Jul 3, 2006, 8:43 AM

Post #26 of 45 (2667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Hello all,

We older folk tend to be a bit crotchety!. Part of the aging process. But getting back to the original point about qualifications for the INAM card ---Instituto Nacional de Adultos Mayores--- and the discounts it qualifies you for, the card is well worth having, IF YOU CAN GET IT. You will get discounts on medicines, on foodstuffs, on bus transportation, and supposedly on air line tickets although I have never found an airline which will give it to you. And Omnibus in Guadalajara seems to never to have any seats for us. The bus companies are supposed to always reserve 2 seats for our use. They fill up fast.

And this is Mexico after all. While Government regulations DO require an FM2 for issuance of the card, there are many local INAM directors --most of them doctors--who feel that an older guy or gal is an older guy or gal and is entitled to a bit of consideration. So they have authorized their staffs to issue them and they will then sign the papers.

So, if you are lucky enough to live in an area where the local INAM office accepts FM 3's hurry on down with the proper documents and get one before the INAM director there is changed. After all, we just had an election and many of the appointive officers will be changed.

Adios in the good spirit of we are all in this same beautiful boat together. jerezano.

In Reply To

Georgia

Jul 3, 2006, 10:28 AM

Post #27 of 45 (2642 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Objectively, Judy, I don't think Mexicans, legal or otherwise, in the US are a drain on the economy. They provide cheaper labor so that people in the US can purchase relatively inexpensive food (as compared to other industrialized nations). Those who are illegal pay into social security, most of the time, but never collect. They do the jobs that other residents and citizen of the US don't want to do. They are, whether legal or not, an integral part of the society.

Some of us don't feel right about the discounts offered, others of us need them due to limited circumstances. Neither way is right or wrong. But I don't see availing myself of the discount or not as a way of "evening the score" so to speak. I think it was simply an unfortunate example for you to choose.

donemry

Jul 3, 2006, 11:48 AM

Post #28 of 45 (2614 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Quite often, people who voice contrary opinions do so because one, or both, lack the facts necessary for validation. I have found this site to be useful in understanding the impact of Mexican immigration into the uS.

http://pewhispanic.org/

This particular article is very interesting as it shows that Mexican immigrant wages are not at the bottom of the pay scales.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/16.pdf

Georgia

Jul 3, 2006, 11:54 AM

Post #29 of 45 (2612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Perhaps we read different articles. The links indicated that they are at the lower end of the pay scale.

donemry

Jul 3, 2006, 12:47 PM

Post #30 of 45 (2595 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
According to the Labor dept,

Annual Wages for all occupations:

10th percentile $15,110
25th percentile $19,680
50th percentile $29,430
75th Percentile $46,180
90th Percentile $70,180

Acording to Pew, average annual wage for unauthorized Mexican immigrants in countyr less than 5 years $24,960 and $30,160 for those with over 5 years in the country.

Thus, their average wage is in the lower half, but not at the bottom.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jul 3, 2006, 1:05 PM

Post #31 of 45 (2593 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Mexicans up here in the NW, gardeners make about $10/hour. Construction workers about $18 -20. That's about 30% or so less than union workers. It's understandable that those who have been here longer than 5 years make more. Primarily because they've received raises from time to time. I'm not aware of any employer who doesn't award raises from time to time to keep the better, more productive workers on their payroll illegal or not.

A lot of the construction workers rebuilding the Gulf Coast I have heard are Mexican, legal and illegal , making the wage stated above. None of these categories are working at the lower end of the pay scale. The ones at the lower end of the pay scale it seems, are the migrant and service workers, or unskilled labor. Granted, longer term workers do work for about 30% less than American workers who have been here all their life, however, it is my opinion that a lot of the American workers are WAY overpaid anyway.
Getting older and still not down here.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Jul 3, 2006, 1:07 PM)

Marlene

Jul 3, 2006, 1:47 PM

Post #32 of 45 (2575 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
[Thinking hard of something to say to get this thread back on topic....]

I read somewhere that cardholders are able to get a 5 percent discount at Gigante stores. Also at movie theatres. Is there a list of applicable discounts issued with the card?

esperanza

Jul 3, 2006, 2:06 PM

Post #33 of 45 (2568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Actually, the Gigante discount is 10%, Marlene. I don't know what the discount is at the movies, but there is one. Buses (either local or long distance) are discounted by 50%. Airfares, if you can find an airline willing to give you a discount, are alleged to be discounted 25%. Annual water bill discount is 50% if the bill is in the name of the cardholder. Here in GDL, the Teatro Degollado gives a 50% discount to the cardholder. I haven't checked with the Teatro Diana to see if they offer the same discount, but I will.

MazDee reports that she is sometimes given a discount on hotels.

That's all I know, but it may not be all there is.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

kwschopf

Jul 3, 2006, 5:50 PM

Post #34 of 45 (2528 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"Think of it as a little return on all the taxes you're paying for the benefits the illegal Mexicans are reaping in the USA."

Sorry, I cannot resist making a comment about this, even though it appears that I have arrived late at the party. I simply do not understand where people get the idea that "the illegal Mexicans" are "reaping benefits." I recently retired from a academic health center where a high percentage of our clinical patients were Latino, legal and illegal. Those who cannot prove their legal status do NOT qualify for Medicaid benefits, nor do their children. Even in federally-designated and supported Migrant Health Clinics, they are denied services if they cannot pay. They do NOT get food stamps, welfare assistance or unemployment benefits. They DO pay state and federal withholding taxes, social security taxes, workers' compensation premiums and unemployment taxes, the benefits of which they will almost certainly never realize. If they pay rent, they are indirectly paying property taxes, and yet their children are denied basic local services.

I'm not sure that any of this is relevant to this discussion, but I have worked in or around social services all of my professional life, and have heard this comment made about the Southeast Asians, the Russians, the Mexicans...to my way of thinking it is at its best, uninformed, and at its worst, thinly veiled racism.

Sorry, just had to add my $.02. Karen

burtonjt

Jul 3, 2006, 7:29 PM

Post #35 of 45 (2506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kwschopf] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Thanks for all the information. I have never received so many replies. It seems there are a lot of people that could benefit from the Senior Card.

db52

Jul 3, 2006, 8:08 PM

Post #36 of 45 (2487 views)

Shortcut

Silly moral posturing?

| Private Reply
I'm not convinced that it is either racist or uninformed to suggest that there may be some benefit that comes to illegals. If it were not so, there wouldn't be 10-12 million of them NoB. And I don't think there can be any doubt that (in certain localities more than others) this can put a strain on government budgets. So Judy's reply to the earlier (dopey) comment suggesting that there might be something morally wrong about a few old gringoes saving two pesos on bus fare...well, it didn't upset me the least bit.

sfmacaws

Jul 3, 2006, 11:27 PM

Post #37 of 45 (2452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [db52] Silly moral posturing?

| Private Reply
I agree. She didn't word it in a politically correct way but the intent and the meaning were not evil as some have suggested. Of course there is a benefit to illegals in the US and to equate that to senior ex-pats in Mexico taking advantage of legal benefits is reasonable. I doubt she would have gotten this reaction from native Mexicans, the concept of rigidly politically correct speech has thankfully not made it to Mexico. That's one import I hope they never get around to. Some of you need to leave your hyper sensitive reactions to words back at the border.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

MazDee

Jul 4, 2006, 9:40 AM

Post #38 of 45 (2414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
Here in Maz, the discount at Gigante is 5%, not 10% as Esperanza reports it is in Guad. I was given a long list of places which offer discounts when I received my card. It includes many farmacias, doctors, labs, cines, etc. I have since lost the list, but I am sure a trip to the INAPAM office would get me a new one. I am primarily interested in the 50% discount on buses.

Gringal

Jul 4, 2006, 10:07 AM

Post #39 of 45 (2406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Silly moral posturing?

| Private Reply
I agree on that one, 100%. It sometimes looks like there's a lynch mob out there waiting to hang, draw and quarter anyone who gets even a slight case of "mouse-in-mouth" and displays a politically incorrect bias.
This discourages people from joining into this exchange of information and opinion. I don't think that's desirable.

Papirex

Jul 4, 2006, 10:57 AM

Post #40 of 45 (2389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Senior Discount Card

| Private Reply
I got a senior discount from Avolar Airlines for a flight from Cuernavaca to Tijuana last month. Converted to Dollars, my $160 dollar ticket was discounted $30 Dollars, so the discount was approximately 30 percent. We are still in The US, the ticket is somewhere in my luggage and I’m not going to dig it out right now to get the true values in Pesos, but every little bit helps.

Avolar is a domestic airline; they do not fly across the border. Oddly enough, the ticket agent wanted to see my visa and my wife’s Mexican passport. He looked at me and politely said he thought I might qualify for a discount. He was too polite to say you look like an old guy. I told him I didn’t have an INSEN card. He said he would try anyway.

He called the main office in Mexico City and came back to tell me I had the discount. He said they didn’t want to give it to me until he told them that I had my FM3 visa and I had already applied for Mexican citizenship. They then approved the discount. I hadn’t told him that I had applied for citizenship, but he was a pretty resourceful young man.

I think there is the probability that someone with an INSEN card can get a discount on Avolar Airlines, and the possibility that someone without one may get a discount if you use flexible ethics, and Heavens to Betsy, are willing to lie a little bit.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

mkirkpatrick

Jul 10, 2006, 5:18 AM

Post #41 of 45 (2277 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi Judy,

I am sorry you got jumped on-my they are testy aren't they? We all react from our own experiences and background,and I saw nothing wrong with your reaction or some of the others. That's how people see things. Differently.

Who wants to sit in a room with people who have nothing different to say? Not me. I would just find another room,and leave them to it.

If I was perceived to be a little self-righteous,dopey or pompous-that's probably cause I AM a bit that way anyway.

I really enjoy your comments-and Bubba et al. Everything's cool,so I'm going to have another cup of unhealthy caffeine(but fresh!) and an unhealthy cigarillo,and enjoy another day of this great life.

nfabq

Jul 10, 2006, 5:39 PM

Post #42 of 45 (2195 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There is nothing "reasonable" about equating expat benefits with illegals in the US. And I would like you or Gringal to explain to us all how belittling the opinions and values of others by labeling them "politically correct" or " incorrect" adds to understanding the issue or encouraging discussion.The labels introduce the very bias you condemn.Stick to the issues;facts,feelings,values,opinions, and leave labels to those who have nothing of value to add to a discussion.

Norm

sfmacaws

Jul 10, 2006, 8:13 PM

Post #43 of 45 (2163 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nfabq] Silly moral posturing?

| Private Reply
Why don't you tell me first why attacking someone who doesn't agree with your view of the world is acceptable behavior? The posts and people I was referring to attacked the original poster for no better reason than that she stated an opinion they don't agree with. As to equating benefits for older people in Mexico that ex-pats are eligible to use with benefits that are available and used by illegal immigrants in the US makes perfect sense to me, what's your problem with it? The legal status of the immigrant using these benefits is the only difference.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

nfabq

Jul 10, 2006, 10:20 PM

Post #44 of 45 (2144 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I don't see it as attacking the person,I see it as attacking the views and opinions she seemed to espouse and which she subsequently withdrew. That's what I call an exchange of opinions and that's what I think a discussion is all about.That's quite different from attacking people with biased labels, as you did.

As for benefits for expats in Mexico or illegal aliens in the US,I have no problem with either.You just assumed I did and you know what they say about ass-u-me. I just think it's ridiculous to equate 5 & 10% discounts with medical care and educating kids.

Now you can tell me why you think attacking people with labels that demean the person and not the ideas expressed is appropriate in a discussion and exchange of ideas.

Norm

jennifer rose

Jul 11, 2006, 7:41 AM

Post #45 of 45 (2097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nfabq] Silly moral posturing?

|
This thread, having ventured far afield from the original post, is now terminated. Feel free to resume discussion in a new thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4