Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

2mexico

Jun 27, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5509 views)

Shortcut

Retail Drinking Water Jug Size?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are designing a van conversion for planned extended travel through Mexico, and want to have a dedicated galley shelf for retail water jugs (maybe two, side by side). In the US we commonly can find a nice two and a half gallon rectangular jug meant to sit on a refrigerator shelf, and I would like to size the shelf for that if they are also available in big Mexican groceries. Here is an example - http://www.arrowheadwater.com/...oAndAHalfGallon.aspx

Has anyone seen these around when shopping? Anything comparable I might find to resupply my pantry? Space wil be at a premium and I think this would be a good feature, since I have a clean sheet of paper for this galley.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Jun 27, 2006, 8:26 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanwolf] Retail Drinking Water Jug Size?

The standard water container sold (and exchanged at water purification plants) throughout Mexico is the 19-liter (5-gallon) plastic carboy called a garrafon. You can see a picture here:

http://mx.geocities.com/...osmos/garrafones.htm

Dimensions are approx. 50 cm tall by approx. 30 cm in diameter. Water is removed by a hand-operated siphon pump, or the garrafon is inverted in a ceramic dispenser equipped with a push-to-dispense valve spout.

I've never seen the smaller 2.5-gallon size container you mention for sale in Mexico.

HTH,

-- K.H.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

2mexico

Jun 27, 2006, 8:45 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5486 views)

Shortcut

Thanks - I've seen the 'water cooler jugs' that are common in most Mexican (and some U.S.) households. I don't think I can figure out how to incorporate one of these, but it might be worth a try. Any one else notice a smaller size commonly available on grocery store shelves?

sfmacaws

Jun 27, 2006, 10:39 PM

Post #4 of 5 (5476 views)

Shortcut

Yes, I have one right here that is 5 liters with square sides and a plastic handle that comes up over the cap. The one I have is from Nestle but other water companies sell them as well. They are usually in the larger grocery stores, I don't remember where I bought this one but I've gotten them in Chedraui and probably WalMart too. They are lighter and easier to carry than a garrafon so we often have one in our RV. I can give you the dimensions if you like. It's about 13" tall, not counting the plastic handle which folds down anyway. Each side is close to 6", it's hard to measure as the sides are rounded a bit. That should help you build the shelf though. We refill them until they wear out, thus I still have one from Mexico even though I've been in the US since the middle of April. Let me know if you want a picture.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

arbon

Jun 27, 2006, 11:11 PM

Post #5 of 5 (5472 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We use 2 of these, they are less than 16" high when standing up, and go under the seats and beds.

I think you can get them in Walmart.

Aqua-Pak 5G/20L Water Container

http://www.relianceproducts.com/camping.php?subcat=wc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4