Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jsandrock

Jun 13, 2006, 6:21 AM

Post #1 of 11 (1304 views)

Shortcut

Restaurants/things to see in Zacatecas?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all -- my husband and I are driving down to Ajijic from Santa Fe NM in a couple of weeks and are planning to stay two nights in Zacatecas -- from the pictures and what I read about it, it just looked like a wonderful place to explore and take a break from the driving!

Any suggestions about restaurants to try (and sights and things not-to-be-missed) would be greatly appreciated. The mask museum sounds great and we'll definitely wander around the Plaza, see the cathedral, etc.

We figure that from there it'll be a relatively painless drive to get us the rest of the way to Ajijic in a half a day or so.

Many thanks for ideas/suggestions!

jsandrock

raferguson

Jun 13, 2006, 3:54 PM

Post #2 of 11 (1278 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jsandrock] Restaurants/things to see in Zacatecas?

We loved the Goitia museum. The mask museum is the best that we have seen. A visit to Guadalupe, a suburb of Zacatecas, lets you see the convent with murals, worth a visit. We hired a guide to explain the murals to us in Spanish.

Of course you can take the tram (telepherico?) to see the city from above. The general art museum, Museo Pedro Coronel is good, but I would see the mask and Goitia museums first. The convent in Guadalupe was kind of unique. We enjoyed the Eden mine tour also.

The restaurant/hotel in the bullring is a high end place to eat, Quinta Royale Zacatecas.

In two days, you will mostly scratch the surface of Zacatecas. Overall, we would judge the museums among the best in Mexico. Have a good time.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

jsandrock

Jun 13, 2006, 7:22 PM

Post #3 of 11 (1257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Restaurants/things to see in Zacatecas?

Many thanks! We actually had the mask museum on our list of MUST DO's just because it sounded so fascinating.
And will follow up on your other suggestions too, for sure.

We also decided to give ourselves a BIG TREAT (my husband's birthday present to himself and me!) and actually STAY at the Quinta Real for two nights. The pictures of it online just looked so cool!!!

I speak Spanish so the guide is a great idea...where did you find him/her???

Jillian

esperanza

Jun 13, 2006, 8:13 PM

Post #4 of 11 (1252 views)

Shortcut

Another don't-miss is the Café Nevería Acrópolis, across the street from the cathedral in Zacatecas. It's a local institution and you'll want to stop there for desayuno, comida, or cena.

The Francisco Goitia museum is my particular favorite. You've mentioned the Rafael Coronel mask museum, someone else posted about the Pedro Coronel (Rafael's older brother) museum (my second favorite--it's not a museum of Coronel's paintings, some of which are on display at the Goitia, but rather a display of Coronel's enormous collection of art and objects, including everything from an Egyptian sarcophagus to Picasso watercolors), the Felguérez museum of abstract art (and don't miss the print shop on the second floor), the military museum at the top of the teleférico, the cathedral, the numerous gorgeous art galleries, the art deco-era theater, and the callejonadas. Ask at your hotel for instructions on joining a callejonada one of the evenings you're in the city.

Have a wonderful time in one of my favorite cities of Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

raferguson

Jun 13, 2006, 8:16 PM

Post #5 of 11 (1251 views)

Shortcut

The guide at Guadalupe was just there, and asked if we spoke Spanish, as he did not speak English. We agreed on a reduced price for a quick tour, but definitely got our money's worth. We also hired a guide at the art museum, a young lady who was also there to be a guide.

Anyway, when you get there you can ask at the ticket window or entry if there is a guide available. The price is generally reasonable, and you do get more out of seeing something with a guide. We have hired guides many times, usually in Spanish. One time in Veracruz, the guide quoted us two prices, a low price in spanish and a higher one in English! We took the Spanish tour and I translated. ;-) (Actually, everyone in our group spoke some Spanish).

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

jerezano

Jun 13, 2006, 9:00 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Restaurants/things to see in Zacatecas?

Hello,

You have received some very good guidance on what to see and do in Zacatecas.

The Quinta Royal is definitely worth the stay. However, you will probably find the restaurant second-rate for the money although the atmosphere cannot be beaten. For some reason that hotel has had much trouble with their chefs.

A good working man's restaurant with low prices, adequate food, is in the Hotel Conde. El Jacal? if I remember correctly.

My favorite restaurant in Zacatecas--really the entrance to Guadalupe on the Lopez Portillo BLVD frontage road is Costillas de Sanchez. The only place in Zacatecas where I can eat the T bone steak. Black Angus Beef.

Another favorite restaurant in the center and near the Pedro Coronel Mueseum and across the street from the State legislature building is Karnes en sus jugos-- A typical Jalisco dish which consists of frijoles cooked with bacon, pork bits, beef bits, and lots of broth (jugos) It is a cheap, working man's meal served with chiles, radishes, onions,salsas, totopos and tortillas on the side. Cheap, nourishing, excellent flavor, and one of my favorite meals. You will not go away hungry, nor will your pocketbook be a lot lighter--as it will after the Quinta Royal.

I wish you a good trip. Adios. jerezano.

Cynthia7

Jun 13, 2006, 9:38 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Restaurants/things to see in Zacatecas?

I love the hotel Meson Jobito and the restaurant that it is in it. What is the name of the fabulous church that they rebuilt from old architectural drawings.??.it is not to be missed..

Anonimo

Jun 14, 2006, 5:28 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1229 views)

Shortcut

Zacatecas Visitor's Guide:
http://www.mexique.infotourisme.com/...1/4/zacatecas_ig.pdf (PDF file, looks like it covers attractions, lodging, sightseeing and restaurants rather well.)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Camille

Jun 14, 2006, 3:26 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1190 views)

Shortcut

The Nueva Gallicia Restaurant behind the cathedral has divine chiles en nogada, and many delicious soups. Their upstairs dining room allows for excellent people-watching through French doors......Pepe says their steak is fine too.

jsandrock

Jun 14, 2006, 4:43 PM

Post #10 of 11 (1181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Restaurants/things to see in Zacatecas?

Thanks one and all for your great posts! We'll now have so much to do there that we ought to be extending our stay to two months instead of two days!
Can't wait to get down there with your lists in hand and scope it all out.

If I discover anything new I'll be sure to post it for all of you.

Mil gracias --

Jillian

hijodelsol

Jun 15, 2006, 10:09 PM

Post #11 of 11 (1139 views)

Shortcut

Zacatecas is a gem, with some of the nicest people you will find in all of Mexico. We love La Cuija Restaurant, located at Calle Tacuba, just behind the Cathedral. Beautiful room with canterra stone arches and excellent food. We often stay across the street at the Hostal Reyna Soledad. The Quinta Real restaurant is also excellent and a beautiful setting. I could live in Zacatecas if it wasn't so cold in January.
Buen Viaje

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4