Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bmur

Jun 4, 2006, 4:20 PM

Post #1 of 6 (724 views)

Shortcut

Gas & the Internet

Can't Post | Private Reply
Since you are all online I know that access in Ajijic Is available and I believe is no longer a long distance phone call. My first question is what options are available? Is DSL an option there? I live in New Mexico and have DSL through Qwest but it's not cheap..but I think that's because free market practices seem not to have penetrated the communications industry here. Question number two is about gas prices. We are paying over $3.00 a gallon here. CNN has provided all the reasons..Global economy..Hurricane Katrina..diminished production. I am wondering if Mexico as an oil producer is subject to the same pressures? I know that gas has been traditionally more expensive there than here but have recent pressures pushed prices higher at the pump there as well?
Old Gringo

johanson

Jun 4, 2006, 6:28 PM

Post #2 of 6 (701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bmur] Gas & the Internet

Gas is cheap. The last time I was in Ajijic (May 10th), the price equated to less than $2.30 US per gallon. You asked if DSL is available. Yep but it is prohibitively expensive in much of Mexico. A true 2 meg ADSL connection goes for $ 4,599 +15% IVA= $5,289 pesos or at 11 pesos per dollar, $480 US dollars per month. While in the US Comcast offers a 6 meg connection at $59.95 US per month plus tax or for $49.95 + tax if you buy cable TV from them too.

If you do not believe me go to http://www.prodigy.com.mx/...m_adsl/h_planes.html

Not all is lost though, because that same company, Prodigy offers a kind of sort-of high speed internet for a lot less. And us old folks don't know the difference. For example I have an "UP TO" 512/128 kb/sec connection that I pay $401 pesos per month for (349 +15% / 11= $36 US) and normally I get about 424/65 kb/sec. That is really slow, but sure beats dialup. (Double the speed and the connection costs ($599 + 15%) 689 pesos per month (or $63 US)

RickS

Jun 5, 2006, 12:00 PM

Post #3 of 6 (642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bmur] Gas & the Internet

... what options are available in Ajijic?

In addition to DSL there is a wireless "high speed" service available from Lagunanet assuming your house has 'line-of-sight' to one of several towers. Many choose this option which, I believe, has 2 speed-options from which one can choose. There are start-up equipment costs involved. Pete, why don't you fill bmur in on the particulars of cost/speed when you get a chance.....

johanson

Jun 5, 2006, 2:12 PM

Post #4 of 6 (619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Gas & the Internet

Sorry about that. I started answering before I digested the question asked, something I do too often. I use Prodigy's ADSL broadband connection as a backup connection. My primary connection is fixed WiFi. I am about 700 meters from an access point. I have an antenna on the roof that points to the ISP's antenna (AKA access point). Just as there is a cost for equipment when you sign up with Prodigy, there is a cost of equipment when you go wireless. The cost is more, usually about $475 US, because of the Antenna, LNA, Etc.

With Infinitum the upload and download speeds are asynchronous, therefore the A in ADSL for $36 US I average a download speed of about 420 and an up load speed of about 64 to 70 kb/sec. The speeds offered by www.laguna.com.mx are 384 up and down for $40 US and 768 up and down for $60 US.

I have the higher advertised speed of 768 kb/sec up and down. Do I get that speed? I don't think ever got it when checking at www.dslreports.com . In fact the speeds vary. Unlike my infinitum connection which almost always give me a stable download speed of 420-6 and a somewhat less stable download speed usually of 50 to 75 kb/sec, the Laguna speeds bounce all over the place, dependent upon the number of persons sharing the network. This could be bad if there was not enough bandwidth provided. But the folks at Laguna, offer more than enough bandwidth on the SSID (access point) I point at and my 768/768 connection, can very very occasionally give me almost twice that, but more usually speeds close to 750/750 and very infrequently speeds of half of that.
So in summary, my speed varies dependent upon the number of persons downloading and uploading at the same time. However more often than not I am getting better speeds than one would expect.
Oh, does VoIP work with WiFi? Most of the time it works great, but just like with any internet delivery system, there will be periods when there is breakup, when there is not sufficient bandwidth, upstream.

I HAVE A QUESTION for you to ponder. Remember that the Lagunanet ISP is in a building with all kinds of antennas on it, one floor directly above the CIA.They say that the CIA stands for Cafe Internet Ajijic. But I wonder; the station master there is Harry who speaks not only English and Spanish but Farsi, you know the language spoken the Iranians.

If that doesn't make you suspicious, drop the mx ending and go to www.laguna.com and you are transferred to the FBI's web site. And I know of at least one person who says he is a volunteer there, who used to work for the US federal government holding a classified position. Maybe he still does :). No wonder Lagunanet has access to such good spam filters.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 5, 2006, 2:27 PM)

bmur

Jun 5, 2006, 8:39 PM

Post #5 of 6 (569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Gas & the Internet

First let me say thanks to both you and RickS for responding to my questions. I was encouraged by your answers. I am working my way south in small increments. I went to laguna.com.mx and was surprised to say the least. Maybe old spies never die..they just move to Ajijic..or maybe this is one of the more southern posts for monitoring the border. I have one for you. Go to Google and type in the word Failure. Next click on "I'm Feeling Lucky". It may explain a lot.
Thanks again,
bmur

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jun 6, 2006, 4:55 PM

Post #6 of 6 (488 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Gas & the Internet

Hmmm. I would have imagined there'd be more than double that number of results by now. :)
Getting older and still not down here.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4