Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

wendy devlin

May 31, 2006, 12:31 PM

Post #1 of 21 (2745 views)

Shortcut

What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply

This post was being written for another thread.
Too late!

Maybe it will have a thread of it's own here.

Question to old and new forumers alike, what are forums like for you?
Color me curious.

Here's my old and current analogy...at no extra price:)

Used to think of a forum like a big busy restaurant where you can hear everyone's private conversations at once.

Interesting, pedantic, silly, controversial etc. conversations going on between people that you might never know or sometimes never want to know. And occasional conversations with someone you actually do know.

Satisfying the metiche, who lurks within.

Today I have a new analogy.

Mexconnected like a radio station.

With simultaneous channels, hosted by different 'personality' hosts with their phone-in callers.

Here, Bubba might be the 'shock jock'.
The announcer who says the most outrageous things, just to get the listener's juices flowing.

Someone might be a weather announcer, "Hoy, hace tiempo..." while another writes out her version of the Farmers' Almanac.

Many POV or frequent themes.
All the world a stage with...

Something to learn from or about everyone.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on May 31, 2006, 12:32 PM)

Gringal

May 31, 2006, 12:47 PM

Post #2 of 21 (2717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
Good analogy. But ....

The problem with the comparison is that there is no single "host" who starts the discussion. The moderators are there to do quite the opposite.

It seems more like multiple open mikes.

There are some participants who don't seem to know where line lies between humor and mean-spiritness. That is unfortunate. People are hurt in the process. There is no excuse for that. When I see an obviously defenseless or unsuspecting poster heading for the shark pond, I cringe. The victim often lacks the wordsmith skills to retaliate in kind. At that point, I'm pleased that we have moderators to drop the lock. Sadly, the words under it remain.

My opinion is that the Mexconnected Forums are, in general, excellent. Good information is provided when it is needed, and if it degenerates into silliness on occasion, we can all use a laugh, too.

alex .

May 31, 2006, 12:52 PM

Post #3 of 21 (2711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Like CB Radio

| Private Reply
The fora remind me of CB radio days when I was a teenager. A bunch of us had the radios set up either at home or in a car. We made up handels to suit us, rarely using our real names. Folks could drift in and out of the conversations, change the topics, change channels for side conversations, all with some degree of anonymity. Sometimes we would meet for pizza on a friday night. Those face-to-faces were often awkward; we were surprised that people looked nothing like we imagined they did from the voice on the radio. Many really did not have much to say, then we would adjourn, head back to the cars, pick up the microphones and begin to jabber away at each other like old pals. One could say something unpopular and be ignored for awhile, cliques would form using secret code words, newbies would have to earn their place in the group. Some folks only listened, never contributing, but also never feeling the displeasure of the group. There was quite a buch of personalities : the clown, the doper, the cowboy, the wiseguy, the princess, the nerd, and the channelmaster (or so he thought).Like people everywhere do : some moved on to other activities after awhile.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on May 31, 2006, 1:02 PM)

Ron Pickering W3FJW

May 31, 2006, 1:03 PM

Post #4 of 21 (2703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
A forum appears to be a "Melting Pot" for all kinds of people from anywhere, thoughts and opinions (valid or not), true helpful advice (or not), a substitute for loneliness, or the only place someone may be able to get a word in edgewise wether it has merit or not, or quite simply, just something to do to while away some time while waiting for something else to get involved in.....

Also, a great way to show others your spelling skills and a demonstration of your intelligence for the world to see..... and judge.
Getting older and still not down here.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on May 31, 2006, 1:05 PM)

wendy devlin

May 31, 2006, 3:57 PM

Post #5 of 21 (2661 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
So far there's a call-in radio show, multiple mikes, teenage cb radio groups and a melting pot analogy.

Other peoples' ideas tend to tweak my own. Thanks.

alex, you may remember in the earlier days, on these forums. One of the mods wrote a invocative piece about certain identifible characters that emerged on internet forums. Using this new medium as their stage.

I remember a few of the roles: the prima donna, the leading man, the friend to everyone...and wondered which role if any I had unconsciously fallen into.

Gringal...you new in these parts!
Just kidding.

I know you've been on these forums for awhile but probably not long enough to mention the wild and wooly days before pay per view. These forums are much more peaceful places than yore.

The reason I'm still kicking around here is the underlying premise of the website:

Debate or challenge the idea or the facts: refrain from attacking the person.

Unfortunately this is much easier to say than do.

We are, afterall, human.

Rolly

May 31, 2006, 4:08 PM

Post #6 of 21 (2653 views)

Shortcut

The silly season

| Private Reply
If I may be allowed to repeat what I just wrote on another forum:

When I worked in radio back in the 40s and 50s, we used to refer to summer as the silly season because news was often slow, so silly stuff made it on the air to fill the time.

Looks like the silly season has come early to parts of MexConnect. Only, some of it is a bit more hateful than silly. Unless we lighten up a bit, Jennifer will have to go the hardware store to buy more locks.

Focusing on spelling errors, rambling sentences, lack of paragraphing, weird dreams, etc is really not a good use of our time in discussing life in Mexico.

Maybe we could try being a bit more neighborly.

Rolly Pirate

sfmacaws

May 31, 2006, 4:24 PM

Post #7 of 21 (2647 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I liked the old, free MC. Wild at times but more interesting and more fun than the current family values version. I started out in forums on the old Well when it was a text only bulletin board. If you jumped in you had better be able to swim as it was fast moving and there was no kiddie pool. I have a thick skin from that experience, I still remember the first time I got flammed and thought I could never turn the computer on again. It was a good place to learn though.

While I do try not to be personally insulting, there are times when I see no reason to sugar coat the truth. Frankly, there are people in this world with heads so thick that subtlety has no chance of penetrating. There are also of course the naive and the shy and others who get their feelings hurt. I guess I feel that I am not responsible for someone else's vulnerability. I also tend to think that I am not mean, just honest and perhaps a little blunt. Of course, that could be my Queen of de Nile excuse. It's important to remember though that if you want to be treated like a delicate thing, you shouldn't get into the fight. Once someone starts hurling their own mud pies, they are fair game.

As an analogy for forums like MC, I like Alex's the best so far.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Gringal

May 31, 2006, 4:24 PM

Post #8 of 21 (2644 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Wendy - you're right. I arrived in 2004 and wasn't there for the shootouts. Can't say I miss that.

On forums like these, we are not having a real conversation where a remark pops out before we have time to think. We must type it out and tap the key that sends a permanent record of our thoughts into cyberspace. We are exposed. If we have been fools, there are many out there willing to remind us of it under the guise of honesty or whatever excuse they use for using brickbats to make their point. A little kindness won't kill us, and using a good mind as a weapon is unworthy, IMHO.
I understand why some lurk and never post.

I liked the story about the CB radio enthusiasts who were unable to converse in person. I wonder what would happen if the same thing happened here. ROFL.

(This post was edited by Gringal on May 31, 2006, 4:43 PM)

Anonimo

May 31, 2006, 5:29 PM

Post #9 of 21 (2612 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If these forums are a melting pot, IMO they are even more like a queso fundido with rajas de chile Poblano. You have to be careful so that your tongue doesn't burn.
(Not a profound observation, to be sure, but I thought I'd share that analogy anyway.)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Don Moore

May 31, 2006, 5:46 PM

Post #10 of 21 (2606 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I don't have an analogy. I just enjoy and learn a lot from the forums.
Don Moore

Marta R

May 31, 2006, 8:20 PM

Post #11 of 21 (2557 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
No analogy. The web is what it is, and fora are what they are: a place where we are trying to create a community in a situation where anonymity can be a seductive enticement. People of good spirit manage nonetheless, but that doesn't mean we have to be painfully nice. Families aren't, and I think that's what we're trying to be here: a vocal, argumentative, informative, sometimes-dysfunctional family. Okay, okay, so I got sucked into an analogy anyway, so sue me.

What I value about this particular forum is the information about individual experiences living in Mexico: the good parts, the bad parts, the confusing parts, the scary parts, the parts you wouldn't give up for a million bucks. I also value the individual voices, the feeling of a real person behind each and every post. This doesn't necessarily mean that I don't have favorites, or that there aren't posters who leave me scratching my head. But that's okay: plenty of my own, real-life relatives leave me scratching my head and I put up with them anyway.

We are all people who are either sharing an experience, or hope with all our hearts to share it. That's one hell of an inducement to enter into a real community, online or otherwise. Rough spots and all, warts and all, opinionated or otherwise.

But like I said, I've spent thirty-plus years teaching people how to communicate. It has left me with opinions. If I'm going to be part of this family, you have to accept that.

<Edited for grammar by Yours Truly. Even I make horrible mistakes.>

Marta

(This post was edited by Marta R on May 31, 2006, 8:23 PM)

Bloviator

Jun 1, 2006, 4:28 AM

Post #12 of 21 (2511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta R] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
A couple of years ago we went to view one of the most elaborate Christmas decorated homes in our area. It was spectacular, obviously worth thousands of dollars. The house next door just had two decorations a lit arrow pointing next door and the word ditto.

Ditto to Marta's comment. It surely saved me a lot of really brain twisting thought.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jun 1, 2006, 4:29 AM)

Oscar2

Jun 1, 2006, 8:49 AM

Post #13 of 21 (2462 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Wendy's last entry/disclaimer was very good. "We are, after all, human." Gives way to a story.

What the forum is like to you....... hmm, interesting question. Lets call the story:

A jungle and a walk in the park.

Yes, warts and all we're all just human and whether you're on good forum terms or not, this may just make a difference.

It can also depend on good sentence structure, crossing all T's and dotting all I's.

If you don't dip into pedantic or floral speech, then maybe, just maybe you'll have a good day but don't bet on it.

Some days the forum can be a piece of cake and the next day you may get dogged, stomped and trampled pending moderators quick trigger.

Whether you've been bitch slapped or sarcastically skewered, I have a sneaky feeling this too may just have an effect on what the forum means to you.

I almost forgot, be careful and don't raise a doubtful brow in the direction of the big, lumbering, lard ass Kahuna, cause he stay's at bay, hovering, ready for the slightest twitch to chop your head off and gloat.

He not only finds respect/fear amongst the native/cohorts this way but more important it compels some of the natives to shove their nose so far up where the sun don't shine that he forgets they're also fair game.

Aside from the above minor nuances and the tooth snarling, muscle mouthed cannibals who try and mix amongst some very nice natives .......... hell it's a walk in the park.

A Trible rule is don't ever, ever talk about these kind of experiences after the fact or you may be a sniveler or even worse one who engages in recriminations. Heaven forbid!

You see its okay while it's happening because the cannibals are snarling for crowd control and everyone who is amused, gets a good laugh and hey, isn't this what it's all about, just as long as the one being targeted isn't you?

Ultimately you can always just say, "Hey, we're all just human" or what someone else once said: "Quite frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn!"

As far as anonymity, in this village there is no such thing.

The natives and cannibals love to paint pictures on cave walls.

The “colors” used in the pictures they paint, make no mistake, eventually speak loudly of who and what they are “inside” for all to see.

Respectively Rolly, Gringal and Alex were the best!

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Jun 1, 2006, 9:07 AM)

Bubba

Jun 1, 2006, 8:59 AM

Post #14 of 21 (2451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
the big, lumbering, lard ass Kahuna

God, I hope that was aimed at me. The supreme compliment.

Even if you were not speaking of Bubba I am appropriating that moniker.

One thing I try to do in life is not pretend to be that which I am not.

Yours Truly,

The Big Lumbering Lard Ass South Alabama Redneck Imbecile Ingrate Degenerate Banker.

By the way, unlike many of you, I have, for years identified myself and my town under my profile. Why don´t the rest of you follow my lead?

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jun 1, 2006, 9:03 AM)

Nancy4

Jun 1, 2006, 2:49 PM

Post #15 of 21 (2367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
This is very interesting, but what the heck brought on this subject?

Gringal

Jun 1, 2006, 3:25 PM

Post #16 of 21 (2354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
Hi there, Nancy. I've tried enlarging the text size, but nothing enlarges your picture and text therein enough to decipher anything but a small creature waving an immense flag. Please take pity on my curiosity and elucidate.

What started this strange thread? How about a combination of boredom, the "silly season" or excessive heat out there. The rains should cure the latter. Running off at the mouth is a very popular indoor sport with no limit on the number of participants.

Nancy4

Jun 2, 2006, 6:48 AM

Post #17 of 21 (2259 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply
Hi G. I loved the comments. Though I had to read them twice! So many talented folks here with a great command of the English language and even writers' sophistication! No complaint here.

As far as my favorite lady icon, my comment reads, " It's"...one nation UNDER GOD..." or bite my skinny old ass and leave!

Bubba

Jun 2, 2006, 7:27 AM

Post #18 of 21 (2249 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
What am I to do, Nancy, I already left five years ago and would never go back there. Of course, it´s entirely possible that your definition of God and mine differ. What I can´t figure out is whether we are all under, over or around God. Maybe you can clarify that for me.

Nancy4

Jun 2, 2006, 7:49 AM

Post #19 of 21 (2237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] What is a forum like for you?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
What am I to do, Nancy, I already left five years ago and would never go back there. Of course, it´s entirely possible that your definition of God and mine differ. What I can´t figure out is whether we are all under, over or around God. Maybe you can clarify that for me.

In Reply To
I could have predicted a response from you! (which by the way is a good thing!). Honestly, I "envy" for "leaving." I wish I had the where-with-all to do the same. However, I have one four-year old grand daughter that I cannot live without. I am hoping when she is older I can live in MX full time. It saddens me to read you would never go back "there." Am I reading too much into that statement? Under, over, around God? Makes no difference to me. Strictly a personal thing. G. asked what the small print on my icon read. Personally, I have fallen in love with MX and everything about it (maybe not the drugs, etc.) I've been back to the East Coast four weeks now and long for the dust and dirt and tropical breeze. Right now as I respond to you, I am listening to Juan Gabriel sing "Querida." and, yes I love him even though he is gay!

Camille

Jun 2, 2006, 8:01 AM

Post #20 of 21 (2231 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
EVEN THOUGH he is gay??????? Shame on you!

TigerTonio

Jun 2, 2006, 8:05 AM

Post #21 of 21 (2236 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Right now as I respond to you, I am listening to Juan Gabriel sing "Querida." and, yes I love him even though he is gay!

The lock had better be coming quickly or I'm about to get very unpleasant here...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4