Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

zoeq1000

May 29, 2006, 10:32 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3269 views)

Shortcut

What's your favorite bean recipe

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been using more and more beans now that I am in Mexico. I've tried numerous ways to make them but came up with one in particular I like. Do you have a favorite?

Add to pressure cooker:
1 onion, quartered
3 whole garlic gloves, unpeeled
2 tsp chicken base OR use half chicken stock when adding liquid
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 c pinto beans (not soaked if using a pressure cooker)
Add water plus chicken stock to just over half full
Cook to full pressure and continue cooking for 1 hr 15 mins

In the meantime:
Mince 1 onion, 2 garlic gloves, 1-2 red or green peppers. Put in cereal bowl.
Add:
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
juice of 1 lime
Refrigerate.

When the beans have cooked for 1hr 15 mins, add the raw ingredients. Taste and correct seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook on low heat for about 20 mins.
This recipe keeps for 4 days.

Anonimo

May 29, 2006, 10:53 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3264 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeq1000] What's your favorite bean recipe

This isn't necessarily my favorite bean recipe, but it's most current.
A few days ago, I cooked up small a bag of alubias blancas. The first day, we had some as a side dish, and they were very plain. (I'd cooked them with bay leaf, salt and little else)
The next portion, I made into hummous, a laborious process, as I had to make my own tahini from sesame seeds. But it was very good!

The third portion, I made into ham 'n white beans, more or less in the Ozarks fashion, but with a little bacon, frying onion and garlic, then adding beans and chicken base + water. This was very good, in a down-home sort of way.

The other day, I converted the Ham 'n Beans into an improvised Pasta e Fagioli, by adding some leftover cooked chard, a handful of cooked penne pasta, and the final touch— a couple of generous spoonsful of Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, purchased at Costco. Very good! Pass the Parmesan type cheese.

On an earlier occasion, I used plain cooked alubias blancas to make a White Bean Salad, as described in The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two, by Anna Thomas. (I highly recommend that book, even to non-vegetarians.)

Very tasty and economical.

Buen Provecho,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on May 29, 2006, 11:01 AM)

sfmacaws

May 29, 2006, 12:58 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3253 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] What's your favorite bean recipe

Here's my bean recipe from yesterday.

soak several cups of Peruano beans overnight, drain and wash in morning.

put to simmer with fresh water to cover, 1 dried chipotle sliced, 3 large garlic cloves peeled, fat sliced from pork loin. Add water when needed, simmer all day or at least 3 or 4 hours. You can skip this if you pressure cook the beans but I was using the pressure cooker for the pork loin and didn't want to cook them together, I probably could have.

brown remaining pork loin in pressure cooker, add 1 onion quartered, close and pressure cook for 20 - 30 minutes.

When beans are al dente, reduce the cooking water to the level of the beans, add beans to pressure cooker.

Cut 5 carrots into bite sized pieces and add. wash and chop one large bunch of mustard greens, add to pressure cooker. pressurize and cook for 10 minutes.

It was really good. The pork was falling apart, the beans and greens were a great combo and the carrots gave it some color and even though they were NOB carrots they were from the farmers market and pretty good. Served 4, no leftovers.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Cynthia7

May 29, 2006, 9:09 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] What's your favorite bean recipe

I cook Southern so not finding the ham seasonings I am familiar with I substitute smoked pork chops. I saute onion, green pepper and garlic with the pork chop which has been cut in small pieces. Add the soaked beans with water and powdered chicken bouillon for flavor. Cook at a simmer till beans are done ..add red pepper to taste. I might add some chopped carrots or chopped Roma tomatoes..we call that soup. My favorite bean is lima and my favorite peas are black eyed peas..neither available in Mexico. Field peas and crowder peas are not,either. I have to import these. I use Albas or peruanos but not the same.

esperanza

May 30, 2006, 5:23 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3218 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] What's your favorite bean recipe

Look around at your local carnecería and see if you see smoked chamorro...ham hocks! I usually buy one and have the butcher cut it in half for making lentil soup.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jennifer rose

May 30, 2006, 9:42 AM

Post #6 of 8 (3201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] What's your favorite bean recipe

Can't Post |
Alubia blanco is the kind of frijol that I most frequently cook. To the beans, cooked in pressure cooker, I'll add chopped scallions, garlic, tomato, parsley, and maybe some carrot or celery, depending upon what's in the refrigerator. Lemon zest, freshly squeezed lemon, olive oil and black pepper is added later, and the beans are served at room temperature. This dish is known as "fasulye pilaki." The extra ingredients are variable, the only essentials being white beans, tomatoes, lemon juice and olive oil.

I stuffed some charred chiles poblanos with the bean mixture to be served at room temperature.

BTW, tahini is available in Morelia at the health food store near INAMI and its branch on Av. Universidad. And Costco almost always carries prepared hummous.

Anonimo

May 30, 2006, 10:01 AM

Post #7 of 8 (3198 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] What's your favorite bean recipe

The extra ingredients are variable, the only essentials being white beans, tomatoes, lemon juice and olive oil.

¡Perfecto! Exactemente.

Saludos,
Anonimo

thriftqueen

May 30, 2006, 10:18 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] What's your favorite bean recipe

Black eyed peas are grown by small farmers here in Sonora. One can find them at the mercados among the other frijoles. They are called yori munis. If the spelling isn't agreeable I got it from a vendor's sign when I bought some last week in Navojoa. Love those black eyed peas!!!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4