Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Judy in Ags

May 27, 2006, 9:08 AM

Post #1 of 34 (3015 views)

Shortcut

Choosing Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Ever since we moved here three years ago I've wanted to create a little website to tell the story of how we came to retire here. Finally we have a phone at home and DSL service so I created the following with GooglePages, a freeby (sp?) from Google, of course. Using GooglePages limits one's creativity quite a bit, but at least we can tell the story with photos and easy maneuverability. I've already posted this on the Construction forum, but thought it might be of interest to others considering moving to Mexico, or having already done so. I have a couple more pages I'll had in the future and will update the photos as we finish the house.

http://judysny.googlepages.com/

jennifer rose

May 27, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #2 of 34 (2977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Choosing Mexico

Can't Post |
A brilliant website, Judy. Oh, and I see that I've been quoted.

And now for the $64 M.N. question. Are you happy that you brought everything down, or do you wish that you'd downsized?

thriftqueen

May 27, 2006, 10:05 AM

Post #3 of 34 (2968 views)

Shortcut

I viewed your site a couple of days ago when you posted it on the construction forum. I loved it - and your home is beautiful. I most enjoyed your story of the young guy on the street adopting you. Thank you for sharing.

TigerTonio

May 27, 2006, 10:52 AM

Post #4 of 34 (2952 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] Choosing Mexico

Clean, simple, easy to navigate, packed with information and, best of all, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

jerezano

May 27, 2006, 3:09 PM

Post #5 of 34 (2903 views)

Shortcut

Hello Judy in Ags,

What a marvelous site! I was trapped and had to go through every page. It should prove useful to anybody moving to Mexico. I wish that your site had been available when I started construction on my own house back in 1997.

Thanks a lot. Adios. jerezano.

roni_smith

May 27, 2006, 6:29 PM

Post #6 of 34 (2859 views)

Shortcut

Your blog is amazing. I lived in Brasil for 7 years as the son of missionaries and lived in Missouri (and nearby Illinois) for a few decades as an adult. Thank you for taking the time to write it and let us know about it!!

I know you posted something in a thread about the Hacienda del Sol in Tonalá. We stayed there in April the night before a bus trip and found it a perfectly good hotel.

Ron
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

belgique

May 28, 2006, 6:19 AM

Post #7 of 34 (2786 views)

Shortcut

Dang, now I have another site that I have to read all the time...when will we have time to get ready for the move South :-). Seriously...a fantastic story that is a great help to us as we prepare for our transition. Just put a pin on our map at Aquascailientes...our map sure is getting a lot of pins! Thanks for the website!

CurlyGirl

May 28, 2006, 7:39 PM

Post #8 of 34 (2692 views)

Shortcut

Judy, loved your site! You did a great job. I'm looking forward to checking back from time to time. When I'm ready to move down to Mexico, I hope I'm half as lucky as you were, meeting such wonderfully helpful friends! Enjoy your new home.

Dreaming of the East Cape...

Marta R

May 29, 2006, 7:02 AM

Post #9 of 34 (2611 views)

Shortcut

Judy, you've put together a lovely, elegant website: easy to view, clean, and informative. Thanks so much for sharing it with us -- we wish you much joy in your retirement.

Marta

zoeq1000

May 30, 2006, 12:49 PM

Post #10 of 34 (2435 views)

Shortcut

A beautifully done website and beautifuly written as well. Now, tell me please. Is there life after building/remodeling the house? We're nearly done with ours and I feel like I've been in limbo since we bought the house two years ago.

Judy in Ags

May 30, 2006, 1:30 PM

Post #11 of 34 (2428 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeq1000] Choosing Mexico

I don't know yet. We're not finished yet either and we started 3 years ago! I was beginning to wonder what we would do when it was done, but lately we've become involved in a little local church and we have met so many people we'd like to spend some time with. We'd like to see more of Ags. and more of Mexico and have more family and friends from NOB visit. All that will keep me busy enough, to say nothing of my projects which have been on hold. I have a lot of pictures to frame and hang and before I die, I want to scan all my photos and put then on DVD's or some place for my kids and their kids. That ought to keep me busy.

Judy in Ags

Jun 14, 2006, 6:50 PM

Post #12 of 34 (2170 views)

Shortcut

Since posting my J and J Choose Mexico blog on May 27, 2006, I've added a couple of pages. These will probably be my last for a while since at this point Google Page Creator limits each blog to 100 images and I've reached my limit. Thanks for much to each of you who read the first several pages and for your kind remarks.

http://judysny.googlepages.com/

(This post was edited by Judy in Ags on Jun 14, 2006, 6:52 PM)

Rolly

Jun 14, 2006, 8:05 PM

Post #13 of 34 (2151 views)

Shortcut

Judy, you have a nice story going. Could you continue on a Part 2 new page?

Rolly Pirate

Judy in Ags

Jun 14, 2006, 8:25 PM

Post #14 of 34 (2139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Choosing Mexico

Yes, I think I can make another blog if I use a new address (I read that somewhere--I can invite myself), but Google says it allows only one site for each person. I'm assuming in the future they'll make some changes since this is still in the Beta stages. Right now I'm planning to write individual notes to lots of folks on my email list and send the address to them. I neglected them so long when we didn't have internet at home.

Thanks for your continued help. You see I have my new icon on--thanks to you!

(This post was edited by Judy in Ags on Jun 14, 2006, 9:34 PM)

sfmacaws

Jun 14, 2006, 9:32 PM

Post #15 of 34 (2123 views)

Shortcut

Judy, try blogger.
http://www.blogger.com No limit on pictures because they use picasso (another site) for those.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

bella40

Jun 15, 2006, 12:54 AM

Post #16 of 34 (2107 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Choosing Mexico

In Reply To
Judy, try blogger.
http://www.blogger.com No limit on pictures because they use picasso (another site) for those.

And Blogger.com is also owned by Google!

sandykayak

Jun 15, 2006, 8:37 AM

Post #17 of 34 (2049 views)

Shortcut

Thanks again, Judy, and I love the pic of both of you as your new "icon."

I have a couple of comments that others may care to insert their dos centavos:

<<The sidewalks of most cities in Mexico look like a lot of law suits waiting to happen. (Unfortunately Mexico is not a litigious country like the USA.) >>

UNFORTUNATELY??? It's the litigiousness in the US that makes things like homeowner's insurance etc. etc. unaffordable. Plus people aren't willing to take responsibility for their own stupidity/carelessness. Then we had the crook who broke into someone's house, injured himself, and then sued the owner!! (not sure of the outcome).

In the birding section: a ruisenor (with the "enye") is a nightingale, but they may use it as a catch-all phrase for "song bird." It appears that you have understood them to say Ruiz Senor.

As I said, these are just comments. Not trying to be negative about your excellent project. And the shower curtain you made is gorgeous!!

Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

Oscar2

Jun 15, 2006, 10:26 AM

Post #18 of 34 (2021 views)

Shortcut

Are you the same nice looking lady whose photo has morphed into this lean, robust industrious looking couple? Quite a change from the genteel to modern day pioneers settling in a foreign land filled with promise of dreams fulfilled. After mi señora and I viewed and read every inch of your website, we came away in awe of the energy levels and sheer determination it took for you guys to put something together we envy. Congratulations on building a home you can be proud.

I loved it when you turned to your husband, tears in your eyes and said, “If I lived here, I would never want to leave.” That indeed was moving and sealed the destiny and direction I felt both of you were going. Your living for today will bring you tomorrows you can look back on and bask in memories which are forever yours.

Loved your website and any additions will make it just that more pleasurable. Please keep us posted on an ongoing dream which beats in the hearts and minds of many.

¡Buena Suerte parra los dos, y tengo fe que todo va quedar bien!

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on Jun 15, 2006, 10:29 AM)

dtracy8671

Jun 15, 2006, 10:27 AM

Post #19 of 34 (2019 views)

Shortcut

Judy, your site is wonderful and I hope you can continue to fill more pages...Don and I really enjoy the photos and your writings!

Donna

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jun 15, 2006, 11:18 AM

Post #20 of 34 (2004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Choosing Mexico

In Reply To

It's the litigiousness in the US that makes things like homeowner's insurance etc. etc. unaffordable. Plus people aren't willing to take responsibility for their own stupidity/carelessness. Then we had the crook who broke into someone's house, injured himself, and then sued the owner!! (not sure of the outcome). Here's one example from the RV Forum.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- A man is suing an auto-parts store for assault and battery after he attempted to hold up the business and employees responded by beating him with a metal pipe.

Dana Buckman, 46, walked into an auto shop brandishing a semiautomatic pistol last summer, only to have it turned on him by two AutoZone employees, police said. The men beat Buckman with a metal pipe and held him with his own gun.

Buckman escaped and was arrested a week later.

He pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery and was sentenced to 18 years in prison as a repeat violent felon.

Buckman claims the men chased him out of the store and continued to beat him. He is suing the auto shop and the men for the injuries he suffered and for emotional distress.

"In some respects, you wonder if a case like this even needs a defense. It speaks for itself," said lawyer Patrick B. Naylon, who represents AutoZone and the employees.

But lawyer Phillip R. Hurwitz, who represents Buckman, said the employees crossed the line by pursuing Buckman and attacking him.

"The danger was past," Hurwitz said. "These two employees took it upon themselves to go after Mr. Buckman after he left the store." ************************************************** Unfortunatly, this is all too prevelent in our society today. Remember the "old broad" at the drive through,(don't get nasty with me for calling her a broad now) that bought a cup of hot coffee at McDonalds (I believe it was), put it down between her legs, drove off, spilled it, burned herself, and sued and won for $20 mil. IMHO the judge & jury had their heads where a pink pill won't reach on this one. Too much of this c*ap going on up here. I think we can say without much of a doubt that the US breeds a lot of extremely dumb people. Ron

Getting older and still not down here.

Gayla

Jun 15, 2006, 11:39 AM

Post #21 of 34 (1997 views)

Shortcut

Judy, I loved reading your blog too and became totally envious <sigh>. I'd love to find a way to telecommute (not very likely) so I could retire early and move to Mexico. I've got too many years to go!!

But, I really wanted to recommend www.Typepad.com as a resource for continuing your blog. It's one of the best around and fairly easy to use.

Judy in Ags

Jun 15, 2006, 12:15 PM

Post #22 of 34 (1985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Choosing Mexico

In Reply To
UNFORTUNATELY??? It's the litigiousness in the US that makes things like homeowner's insurance etc. etc. unaffordable. Plus people aren't willing to take responsibility for their own stupidity/carelessness. Then we had the crook who broke into someone's house, injured himself, and then sued the owner!! (not sure of the outcome).

Sandy,
Thanks so much for bringing this huge error on my part to my attention. I didn't mean to say UNfortunately, but rather Fortunately. I have corrected the error. I have fixed the bird's name, also. Thanks again.

(This post was edited by Judy in Ags on Jun 15, 2006, 12:37 PM)

Judy in Ags

Jun 15, 2006, 12:45 PM

Post #23 of 34 (1957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Choosing Mexico

In Reply To
Are you the same nice looking lady whose photo has morphed into this lean, robust industrious looking couple?

Yes, I'm the one who went from glamor shot to jeans or even worse-looking, paint-stained pants most of the time during the past three years. Just yesterday I unpacked the rest of our clothes. Now that we have a LITTLE more time and know a LOT more people and thus have more social stuff going on, I might even get to wear some of those clothes!

Thanks for your kind words.

(This post was edited by Judy in Ags on Jun 15, 2006, 12:46 PM)

Marta R

Jun 15, 2006, 1:48 PM

Post #24 of 34 (1942 views)

Shortcut

Judy, your blog and photos are so enticing that they make me want to weep, when I think of how much time we have to go before we can move south. Thanks for posting them.

Marta

johanson

Jun 15, 2006, 1:53 PM

Post #25 of 34 (1939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta R] Choosing Mexico

I too would like to say, great job. It sounds like things are going very well for you all.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4