Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

ericdharma

May 25, 2006, 9:32 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1224 views)

Shortcut

Playa Chamela

Can't Post | Private Reply

Does anyone have any info on Playa Chamela? The beach seems to be really beautiful and it is surrounded by islands. Has anyone been here? How does it weigh in against Barra de Navidad and Melaque? There doesn't seem to be much development but that could be a good thing. Is it a hard area to reach?

sfmacaws

May 25, 2006, 9:41 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ericdharma] Playa Chamela

It's a beautiful beach, excellent for swimming as the islands blunt the waves and there's no undertow. I've raved about it here before, at least the town at the north end called Punta Perula. Small town with a couple hotels, rv parks, beach restaurants, a few stores and taco stands. We say it is a 2 bit town with a million dollar beach. It will be developed sooner or later but I think there are ejido problems right now. It's easy to get to, there is a sign and exit from hwy200 and it is about 3 miles off the highway. The other end of the bay has some small developments and some that have been abandoned, some fish restaurants on the beach, a lagoon with a lot of birds and I think one resort that is still open. It's a popular spot with cruisers (people who live on their boats) as it has a protected anchorage. The islands offshore are gorgeous but uninhabited, probably no water, you can hire a boat to take you out there for the day, lots of birds.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

ericdharma

May 26, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Playa Chamela

How are the prices as compared to Barra specifically? Would it be cheaper there because there is less development or would it be about the same because it is in the same region? Are there any short term rental possibilities in the area? Thanks for the great info.

sfmacaws

May 26, 2006, 6:10 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1176 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ericdharma] Playa Chamela

I can't give you any info on hotel prices as we travel in an RV. We have spent as long as 6 weeks there one year and a month another year. I've spent little time in Barra only Melaque and my impression was that Barra was a bit higher end tourist area than Melaque, so I'd guess that Perula would be cheaper to stay at than Barra. It seemed that prices in Melaque were similar or a little higher for things like eating out at a beach restaurant but cheaper for food bought in the stores because in Perula there are only small tiendas and they charge a little more than the big store in Melaque. I also don't know about short term rentals but it's a small town if you stayed at one of the 2 hotels for a few days and asked around you would find out quickly. If you want to see some pictures, go to http://www.baddog.com/...tures_frameset1.html
and start at 'On the Beach' in the menu at the left. Down through 'Feeding the Birds' are all from the Perula/Chamela Bay area. The one called 'A Tour of Perula' shows just about the whole town which runs parallel to the beach a block inland.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4