Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

MazDee

May 20, 2006, 10:03 AM

Post #51 of 72 (2911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
I sincerely apologize! I was in a cranky mood when I wrote that. Please forget I said anything. Dee

MazDee

May 20, 2006, 12:25 PM

Post #52 of 72 (2885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Hi Nancy, I intended to make my apology to you publicly, but since you responded by private message I realize that I accidentally sent you a private reply. I want to tell others as well that I am sorry for my cranky post! I will lighten up! Dee

alex .

May 22, 2006, 8:09 AM

Post #53 of 72 (2811 views)

Shortcut

unfortunately was the gravest ACA has seen...

| Private Reply
No...its the gravest thats been recently published. The reality will become apparent by and by, no need for me to tell you about it.
Alex

wendy devlin

May 22, 2006, 11:11 AM

Post #54 of 72 (2771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] unfortunately was the gravest ACA has seen...

| Private Reply
Ok alex.

Care to come out direct with what you perceive as currently the general situation in that part of Mexico?

alex .

May 22, 2006, 1:58 PM

Post #55 of 72 (2745 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] unfortunately was the gravest ACA has seen...

| Private Reply
Nope. These fora are pro-Mexico-tourism. Anything I might say would discourage tourism. Its not my place to do that, rather, its the US State Department's responsibility in the form of Travel Advisories.
Alex

alex .

May 23, 2006, 10:36 AM

Post #56 of 72 (2657 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Something I can say

| Private Reply
Watch for news regarding the agents of Mexico Seguro, the task force sent to serve and protect.
Bienvenido Paisano my a$$.
Alex
http://www.esmas.com/...a/mexico/472669.html

(This post was edited by alex . on May 23, 2006, 10:49 AM)

sfmacaws

May 23, 2006, 1:31 PM

Post #57 of 72 (2611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Something I can say

| Private Reply
OK, I read that. So they've got this whoop-ass federal detail and they are sending them in to Aca, Zihua, and the surrounding countryside to do what they were formed to do. Right? So, there will be a battle royale and hopefully the good guys win and also hopefully the good guys really are good guys and stay good guys. Then they go away and it is business as usual, nothing changes.

What I don't get is the bienvenidos paisanos comment Alex, what does this have to do with the returning workers? Do you think that is who is involved in these gangs in Guerrero? I must be missing something.

Frankly, I hope the whoop-ass boys go to work there and at the border and really do clean it up. It's time some of those idiots got disappeared. Sorry, it's my right wing fanaticism cropping up again. I'll just go off and clean my gun.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

wendy devlin

May 23, 2006, 1:55 PM

Post #58 of 72 (2601 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the link to the news article, alex.

So the FEDS are arriving to clean up Dodge.

Time will out...if they'll have much success.

Down the road aways, ZihuaRob has run his own message board for his community, lo, this many years. Rob is married to a local gal with her family home and tourism business el centro and several other properties in the area.

Rob, bless his heart(although I have never met the man) is not afraid to tell about his town and general area: da good, da bad and the ugly.

He loves the area, his community. He's lived there for many years and has no intention of leaving.

When Rob writes of increased violence, corruption and increased general slime-ball activity in his balliwick...I listen.

However he's only one man...and only sees...or tells...so much.

And who's to know...what else there is to know.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on May 23, 2006, 1:58 PM)

indyoldguy

May 24, 2006, 12:21 AM

Post #59 of 72 (2530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Has anyone else noticed that immigration reform only became a crisis when the President's pro war tour failed to produce results ? While reform is needed, just a wall will not solve the problems of adminstering a non-existant tracking infrastructure. Translation - the US government doesn't have a clue about what constitutes an organized immigration policy and if they did, they couldn't adminster it effectively ( see FEMA in New Orleans ). My opinion is that this "crisis" is just a red herring to avoid a failed war. The unfortunate results are that 2 peoples that really like each other are being pitted against each other. To quote Winston Churchill " don't tell my mother I'm in politics, she thinks a play piano in a bordello."

sandykayak

May 24, 2006, 8:47 AM

Post #60 of 72 (2485 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Something I can say

| Private Reply
the dateline of the link Alex posted is 8 months' old (September 5, 2005).... are there any updates?
Sandy Kramer
Miami, Fla & El Parque

alex .

May 24, 2006, 10:13 AM

Post #61 of 72 (2458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sandykayak] Something I can say

| Private Reply
Mexico Seguro agents have been around several months now, and as was mentioned it is not clear who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. We do know that, according to locals, there has been nothing but trouble since their arrival.
The paisano program is designed to welcome Mexican expat tourists, some have received more welcome than they can stand, and will never return.
What chills me to the bone me is that when one is touring the area and encounters a late model car with no police markings and dark tinted windows blocking the road, one has a very, very, important decision to make at that moment. I do not think the average tourist is prepared for that.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on May 24, 2006, 10:24 AM)

arbon

May 24, 2006, 11:20 AM

Post #62 of 72 (2433 views)

Shortcut

|
"What chills me to the bone me is that when one is touring the area and encounters a late model car with no police markings and dark tinted windows blocking the road, one has a very, very, important decision to make at that moment. I do not think the average tourist is prepared for that.
Alex "

also.....

No gloss/flat black with no plates, and making no discernible sound, driving right beside you.

(and you ask your self where the hell did that come from?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gringal

May 24, 2006, 12:03 PM

Post #63 of 72 (2421 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
".....one has a very, very, important decision to make at that moment. I do not think the average tourist is prepared for that. "

Now that you've scared the bejeezus out of a few folks out there, what decision would YOU make at that point???

alex .

May 24, 2006, 12:09 PM

Post #64 of 72 (2418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] connecting the dots

| Private Reply
Such a scenario could be:
A broke-down rental car....no, rentals don't have tinted windows. A local highway robber type maybe.....not likely in a new car. I know, undercover PGR, thats it....doing traffic stops, not likely. Narcos, yea thats it, narcos....well maybe you're on to something if you have piqued their interest some way. Mexico Seguro........

Gringal: My personal choice must not be taken as general advice. With that said I would elect not to stop and take my lumps for whatever happens afterwards.

Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on May 24, 2006, 12:13 PM)

wendy devlin

May 24, 2006, 1:45 PM

Post #65 of 72 (2388 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] connecting the dots

| Private Reply
If reading alex's posts, over the past few months, he mentioned, putting the pedal to the metal.

Getting as much distance between his family...and 'whatever'.

Two good ol' boys in southern Texas, decided to terrorize, our sleeping family one night. Decisions in such situations, are often made, in a heart-beat.

You know you can't win in a 'fight'...they having total advantage...so you 'flight'.

Although I remember holding on to the camping shovel with both hands at the trailer door, while arbon booted the van with trailer, to safety up the road.

I'd have killed those goons, to protect our three kids. Or died trying.

sfmacaws

May 24, 2006, 2:00 PM

Post #66 of 72 (2383 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
But Alex, the paisano program is not designed for ex-pat tourists but for returning mexican workers from NOB. They are either in the game or not and my guess is that most of them are not. The real players aren't NOB as much since they don't want to waste a lot of time in the carcel. Over and back quickly is my guess. Anyway, I don't think any of this relates to the paisano program.

As to your other scenario, I hope to never encounter it but I have thought about it and Mimi and I have discussed possible responses. One thing, in all our travels around Mexico we have intentionally skipped the state of Guerrero and the southern coast of Michoacan. There are a lot of beautiful beaches in Mexico and we are not really comfortable in Guerrero. To me, it seems like almost a separate country with its own private armies and very little control. Before you jump on me about Sinaloa and the border areas, we spend as little time as possible near the border and we drive right on through Culiacan as well. I keep wanting to go see the shrine to Jesus Malverde but Mimi nixes it. One of the reasons we didn't like Alamos very much is that several people warned us not to drive out into the countryside around town as it was harvest time and people were nervous. If I wanted to deal with that I could live in Humboldt county in California.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

alex .

May 24, 2006, 2:18 PM

Post #67 of 72 (2378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Am I thinking of a different program?

| Private Reply
The program designed to reduce the screwing of Mexicans by the Mexican Aduana and others ?
Sometimes, as my wife is a Mexican citizen, I speak with her voice. I didn't mean to refer to other than returning Mexican expats.
http://www.paisano.gob.mx/acerca.php?

(This post was edited by alex . on May 24, 2006, 2:20 PM)

sfmacaws

May 24, 2006, 2:19 PM

Post #68 of 72 (2376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Am I thinking of a different program?

| Private Reply
exactly! but that has nothing to do with ex-pat tourists or the troubles in ACA - at least that I can see? Where's the connection?

or..... is the connection Mexican Seguro? I think the Paisano program is to keep them from getting robbed when they come home by govt agents so I suppose there could be a connection. Although, it sounds like the attacks in ACA are not targeted at returning workers by any means.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

(This post was edited by sfmacaws on May 24, 2006, 2:21 PM)

alex .

May 24, 2006, 2:29 PM

Post #69 of 72 (2366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Am I thinking of a different program?

| Private Reply
In our travels we are represented by an American Tourist (me) and a Mexican expat (her). These travels take us to ACA and thereabouts. Everything that we experience happens to both a tourist and MX expat. I made the Paisano remark in the same light as a foreigner receiving his first US paycheck, less taxes: Welcome to America. That is, you expect great things but less than great things happen. Ni modo. I know of no connection between the Aduana and the special task force.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on May 24, 2006, 2:37 PM)

wendy devlin

May 24, 2006, 2:41 PM

Post #70 of 72 (2358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] Am I thinking of a different program?

| Private Reply
OK, now I'm confused.

Are you saying alex, that you felt that you and your wife were especially, 'targeted' in this situation, because of her status as a Mexican ex-pat?

Not just a general when, 'bad things happen to good people' type scenario?

alex .

May 24, 2006, 2:57 PM

Post #71 of 72 (2352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] No, thats not it.

| Private Reply
Any bad thing that happens will happen in a non-discriminatory manner, doesn't matter if one is a tourist, local, citizen or not. This is an important point for those who insist that trouble is between locals or narcos and your average good guy is exempt( we can make that another thread).Its my understanding that the Paisano program is set up to welcome the huge numbers of Mexicans who live outside Mexico and are returning for the holiday, or even to stay for good. If a Mexican citizen returned to Mexico and was, for example, assasinated, you could say with true sarcasm: Welcome Compatriot, my butt. If I have a poor, or just plain wrong impression of the program it doesn't affect the sarcastic usage of the term.
It would be best if "Bienvenido Paisano" is stricken from the original post.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on May 24, 2006, 3:01 PM)

tonyburton / Moderator

May 24, 2006, 4:51 PM

Post #72 of 72 (2331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] No, thats not it.

| Private Reply
This thread has become somewhat long and meandering. (and hence has been locked)
Please feel free to start up the discussion again, but under a new heading!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4