Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Nancy4

May 18, 2006, 1:58 PM

Post #26 of 72 (3013 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Mostly my opinion re the travel. That is a personal perception of how it "may" change. No survey other than speaking to my friends and acquaintances I have met. Most with whom I have spoken have not been able to understand why they just can't go to work illegally, if necessary. There is work to be done. They see it pretty black and white. I asked several of my friends what would happen to me if I came into MX illegally with no papers and maybe even a little drugs. They always laugh and say oh no! Because we agree I probably wouldn't be seen all too soon. They understand that difference, but they need the work so badly they are willing to take the chance of getting caught. They don't know why there is such a problem. I did mention some of the costs and the example it sets for all immigration regulation. Every country has laws and those coming in need to abide by them. And yes, sometimes there are hardships. Who knows. I will just keep my fingers crossed and all my MX papers in order!

Nancy4

May 18, 2006, 2:11 PM

Post #27 of 72 (3009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Hola Claudine. This is my first trip around with any border difficulties so I am probably alittle hyper! Just returned from MX a week ago after spending a glorious 5 months there. Some one here on line mentioned the two certain reasons for (I think) choosing MX were 1. cheaper living and 2. climate. I would have to honestly add a third - the people. You know, I'm thinking here and perhaps I am looking at all the violence surrounding us at this point is time: Sept. 11th, the war, now the media has indeed picked on the border problems. I have absolutely no fear of living in Acapulco. I am far away from the "bay" and further away from the areas where I wouldn't go near anyway.As far as "attitudes", I tried to explain to many of my friends of the costs that are incurred by the illegal immigrants and the injustice. Those matters they understood, but then they would say but there is work that needs to be done! There is enough blame to go around this, but no one wants to fess up.

Gringal

May 18, 2006, 2:16 PM

Post #28 of 72 (3009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
It's very true that it would be hard for an illegal immigrant to really "get" what's intrinsically "wrong" with coming NOB for work, when there is lots of work to be done. We all know that the immigration laws of the U.S. weren't carried by Moses from Mt.Sinai on tablets of stone. They came from Congress, which is a bit more fallible. The same Congress who gave us some extremely draconian rulings on various groups in the past. I'm assuming our gentle readers are aware enough of their U.S. History that I need not list them.

Do you suppose that underneath a lot of the posturing about illegal aliens is another sort of annoyance lurking deep in the hearts of a large number of U.S. Citizens? Welfare Queens, redux, anyone? If you could get a straight answer out of a number of people at the Drop-in Bar where the truth is actually told, do you think it's possible that some folks think that those jobs should be filled more or less forcibly by unemployed U.S. citizens? You know, the "Grand Plan" that a few beers so often produces: "let's put the lazy bums to work and we won't NEED those Mexicans?"
You think maybe the politicians are playing under the table to that audience and that's why nothing productive is being done about the problem? Ya think?

arbon

May 18, 2006, 2:16 PM

Post #29 of 72 (3009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] A concern or media hype?

|
"I honestly don't feel concerned, even after reading that article on CNN.com (tisk tisk, it WAS on CNN.com regardless WHO wrote it, sheesh)"

Whom ever you consider was the messenger who posted the article, I am not trying to shoot the messenger, or the writer or the editor or the post man.

Or the people that took the poll, in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nancy4

May 18, 2006, 2:31 PM

Post #30 of 72 (3000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Hola Gringal. Ditto on the boobs in Congress. Most are so worried about getting elected or re-elected they are ready to sell their first born (some are probably on their 2nd and 3rd)! If there are many more of these "strikes" I suspect there will be a backlash. I am extremeely concerned about the illegals' "bennies. Have we gone in sane?

wendy devlin

May 18, 2006, 2:44 PM

Post #31 of 72 (2999 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Gringal...are you hinting at an 'F' word here?

Far-out, fervor, fascism???

You wouldn't be the first to wonder.

alex .

May 18, 2006, 2:47 PM

Post #32 of 72 (2997 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Obrador said something to the effect that the immigration issue is a Mexican disgrace: for not providing the opportunities that a petro-rich nation should.
Alex

Gringal

May 18, 2006, 3:37 PM

Post #33 of 72 (2989 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Hinting? For anyone who's had the dubious pleasure of hearing a bunch of "problem solvers" with the collective brain power of a dozen gerbils rant about "what this country needs" after a few schooners of brew, you know exactly what I mean.
No offense to gerbils. They have their place in the cosmos.

TlxcalaClaudia

May 18, 2006, 4:08 PM

Post #34 of 72 (2984 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hi Nancy-
Glad your experience in your MExico travels were positive. I tell you, I have a few folks on my end begging me not to go to Mexico....but like you, I saw it for what it was/is and can't stay away for this upcoming trip.
:)
Claudine

TlxcalaClaudia

May 18, 2006, 4:10 PM

Post #35 of 72 (2979 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Gringal-

Flat out heard such comments here (I am in Atlanta though, sentiments in this town such as the one you described are not uncommon).

Alex-
I always felt this way. Disappointed the country my hubby is from can't offer a little more to their own citizens. I hope, I pray, I wish that one day that will change.

(This post was edited by TlxcalaClaudia on May 18, 2006, 4:14 PM)

esperanza

May 18, 2006, 8:57 PM

Post #36 of 72 (2941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
The PRD candidate's name is Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

He is often called AMLO (in the press), or López Obrador, or just Sr. López.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

drfugawe

May 19, 2006, 7:07 AM

Post #37 of 72 (2899 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obrador said something to the effect that the immigration issue is a Mexican disgrace: for not providing the opportunities that a petro-rich nation should.
Alex

Frankly, the US shares that disgrace - if wages for the jobs which are so attractive to border crossers were not such a disgrace here at home (and agri-employers were not allowed to pay illegals even less) there'd be a leveling of the playing field that would result in a self-correction. However, I love the way this issue is destroying the Repubs from within. Maybe a by-product of this negativity might just be a restructuring of Congress. OK, that might not solve the problem, but if it serves to shut up the Lou Dobbs' and the Bill O'Reillys', that'll seem like a victory of sorts.

John

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

1ajijic

May 19, 2006, 7:31 AM

Post #38 of 72 (2894 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We're of one mind. Interesting observation - this morning a painter at my house (20's married one child) asked, "s it true that Bush is going to start a war?" He was really concerned.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

alex .

May 19, 2006, 8:04 AM

Post #39 of 72 (2884 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Those are interesting words. What do they mean?
Alex

pat

May 19, 2006, 10:21 AM

Post #40 of 72 (2860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
1 Ajijic. What did you tell him?

Pat

alex .

May 19, 2006, 12:38 PM

Post #41 of 72 (2837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Yea, thats what I said: Obrador. Maybe I spell it wrong.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch sudty at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. Initsenretg!!

Mr. Alex the 3rd

(This post was edited by alex . on May 19, 2006, 12:46 PM)

alex .

May 19, 2006, 1:25 PM

Post #42 of 72 (2820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] I have absolutely no fear of living in Acapulco

| Private Reply
We tend to get used to whatever danger there is where we live. Did your place in Acapulco have bars on the windows? Did it even have windows? Do you lock the doors at night? Do you park the car off the street? Of course you are not afraid, nothing bad has happened to you.
Alex

mazgordon

May 19, 2006, 4:55 PM

Post #43 of 72 (2791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
I just read that the legislature has repealed the "dry laws". It seems like too many folks were getting drunker on election day than on regular days.

ˇEchar todo la carne al asador!

Nancy4

May 19, 2006, 7:23 PM

Post #44 of 72 (2759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] I have absolutely no fear of living in Acapulco

| Private Reply
I live with well-educated Mexicans cits who love their country and love what gringos bring to their country. Most are the first to admit it. As far as windows, bars; windows, yes, bars, no. Acapulco is safer than 100 percent of NOB major cities, Bro. The April violent episode, unfortunately was the gravest ACA has seen. Can't say the same for the US cities. I have been afraid in the states, what does that mean?

Interesting take from comments knocking Bush re low wages, providing immigrants with less than what they deserve. Did you ever notice that most "average/above-average MEXICAN who pays for Mexican workers' labor pays less than even these American agricultural businesses. Now go figure!

Nancy4

May 19, 2006, 7:25 PM

Post #45 of 72 (2757 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It means another confused Mexican. Ya gotta love the media.

Nancy4

May 19, 2006, 7:30 PM

Post #46 of 72 (2755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Shame on Obrie (Obrador). He needs to read Fire and Blood, the history of Mexico, to understand their politicians were (are) far worse to their own people than NOB pols.

Nancy4

May 19, 2006, 7:41 PM

Post #47 of 72 (2752 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
The media in the US is our worse enemy. They sold papers with the impeachment of Clinton and they can't stand Bush because he doesn't live by political polls. Chaos, morbid news sells newspapers. Sadly, it's the American way. The information highway...questionable.

MazDee

May 19, 2006, 11:13 PM

Post #48 of 72 (2734 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am sorrry, I am a polite person, but I am really tired of Nancy talking to herself. This forum is about Mexico and I want to learn more about my new country.

sfmacaws

May 20, 2006, 12:06 AM

Post #49 of 72 (2725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Actually, if you look at the header, she is responding to individual posts separately. It's fairly common to see that as the way to go although the 'culture' here on MC rewards those that respond to all previous posts in one post. I think it is easier to read responses that are all in one post but I understand when someone new doesn't get it. Perhaps just this explanation will solve the problem, meanwhile perhaps a little slack is in order.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Nancy4

May 20, 2006, 6:11 AM

Post #50 of 72 (2706 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
MazDee. Chill darlin'. I like me and I don't know about you, but I talk to myself all the time! As far as your comment goes, no cat play here. I have just returned from 5 months in ACA and many areas of MX and wanted to share with the good people here my experiences to their concerns or interests. I am a beginner and still on page one. Maybe, you were a quicker study than I. I won't apologize for enjoying to pick the brains and talk with the lovely people here, but now that I am back, I will research page two of instructions.

P.S. It is still a free website...don't read my posts, girl!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4