Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

TlxcalaClaudia

May 17, 2006, 12:18 PM

Post #1 of 72 (11636 views)

Shortcut

A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
I read this article on CNN. I don't feel so affected,but realize others might. Any of you feeling as nervous as this article claims some are feeling?

http://www.cnn.com/...o.fear.ap/index.html

Gringal

May 17, 2006, 12:23 PM

Post #2 of 72 (11604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
As far as I know, nobody has ever accused CNN of being low-key in its reportage.

Bear

May 17, 2006, 12:44 PM

Post #3 of 72 (11596 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
One never has to over-react to the news because CNN will always do it for you. Bear

Rolly

May 17, 2006, 1:02 PM

Post #4 of 72 (11587 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
When I read that this morning, I thought this doesn't sound like the Mexico I know. It's more like Lou Dobbs' strange view.

My friend Rich in Texas has an interesting take:

"In the U.S., only something like 35% of the people trust the President, there are senseless acts of random violence reported in the media every day and there were huge demonstrations on the streets of every major city on May Day. It's also in the middle of an interminable foreign war.

"And, in the U.S., retired generals are openly calling for the Secretary of Defense's resignation.

"Is it on the "brink of chaos" too?"

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on May 17, 2006, 1:15 PM)

Ed and Fran

May 17, 2006, 1:20 PM

Post #5 of 72 (11582 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Teetering on the edge of chaos!? 50% fear government on the brink of losing control??? Mexico in a state of rage.....

Where the heck do they find these people to interview, and where are they doing the interviewing? Maybe in some places it's like that, but out here in the lesser provinces it's so quiet we're falling asleep. Maybe I need to go to Nuevo Laredo, Acapulco or Chiapas and see how it really is in Mexico.

Regards

Ed (Hey, Acapulco in the off season, wouldn't be that bad. Let me go and report back.....)

wendy devlin

May 17, 2006, 1:43 PM

Post #6 of 72 (11565 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
I think the time has finally arrived for a "MEXCONNECT ROAD TRIP, 2006"!

Let's get a bunch of us irregular 'regular's and poll who's got the best car/RV/buses for a Mexico road trip.

Hit the road and find out for ourselves what's hot and what's not.

Start from the north, pick up alex, swing by Lerdo for Rolly, nab Ed and Fran from their mid-day naps in Tampico...yup...any takers?

jennifer rose

May 17, 2006, 1:51 PM

Post #7 of 72 (11558 views)

Shortcut

|
It's sort of like Town & Country's (or its ilk) description of San Miguel de Allende a few back: 25,000 passionate Americans live in this cultural oasis. As if the depictions of the town's elites in langorous postures against a backdrop of manicured gardens and magnificent sunsets were not enough, the idea of their passion never could escape my mind. Funny, when I go to San Miguel, I never seem to see very many of those passionate folks embracing the town as the author of that article promised were there. But then maybe I just go to the wrong places.

alex .

May 17, 2006, 2:13 PM

Post #8 of 72 (11543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
I got an old Winnebago......as soon as I get out of the cathouse and reload.......the glue gun that is.
Alex

Gringal

May 17, 2006, 2:13 PM

Post #9 of 72 (11542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Passionate: Maybe just before "last call" at Harry's Bar. Or shaking their fists at the new paint job on the Parrochia?

(This post was edited by Gringal on May 17, 2006, 2:15 PM)

arbon

May 17, 2006, 2:19 PM

Post #10 of 72 (11534 views)

Shortcut

|
The story is not from CNN but from Associated Press in the DF, and carried by CNN.

from

"A poll published Friday in the Excelsior newspaper found 50 percent of respondents feared the government was on the brink of losing control. The polling company Parametria conducted face-to-face interviews at 1,000 homes across Mexico. The poll had a margin of error of 3 percentage points."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wendy devlin

May 17, 2006, 2:52 PM

Post #11 of 72 (11526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Bueno! alex is up for the trip.

It seems like Jennifer and Gringal might want us to sniff around Los Labadores in SMA.

Now where did I leave my white jodhpurs and crop?

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on May 17, 2006, 2:56 PM)

Gringal

May 17, 2006, 3:35 PM

Post #12 of 72 (11509 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Tennis dresses and little cap will probably do the job, too.

Ed and Fran

May 17, 2006, 4:45 PM

Post #13 of 72 (11494 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hey, we're always up for a road trip..................

But don't you think we ought to wait until after the elections are over and we see just how far into chaos the country has sunk? I mean, do we really want to be caught in the middle of a PRI rally in Villahermosa, or a ELZN uprising in San Cristobal, or even worse, election day traffic in the D.F.?

Regards

E&F

sfmacaws

May 17, 2006, 9:28 PM

Post #14 of 72 (11420 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Not to mention that they don't sell booze on election day! We could be stuck in one of those demonstrations where all the ladies go out and sit on the road, that's fine but with no one selling cold beer? Ack!

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ron Pickering W3FJW

May 17, 2006, 10:38 PM

Post #15 of 72 (11410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Buy half a rack the day before. That should tide you over.....
Getting older and still not down here.

Nancy4

May 18, 2006, 5:04 AM

Post #16 of 72 (11390 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hola. I just posted Ed and Fran and Alex. I am very concerned with the upcoming election and the problem at the borders. I own a condo in Acapulco and always enjoy the travel down. But I cannot invision "things" staying the same, especially at the check points, etc. There will be a lot of misinformed and disturbed Mexican citizens. They don't like this anymore than we do. And, they have a lot of misconceptions. I read the article re CNN...not good. Nancy

caldwelld

May 18, 2006, 6:58 AM

Post #17 of 72 (11355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
And have you the data to back that survey or are those just your opinions?
dondon

Pimienta

May 18, 2006, 8:22 AM

Post #18 of 72 (11334 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I found the perfect vehicle.
Attachments: -2.jpg (28.3 KB)

Gringal

May 18, 2006, 9:35 AM

Post #19 of 72 (11297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pimienta] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Waaaay cool, to say the least.

wendy devlin

May 18, 2006, 9:39 AM

Post #20 of 72 (11294 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Oww-ehh, Pimiento, that's beauty on wheels!

OK, but is it a first/ economy class kind of rig or share-all a la Green Turtle?

Maybe this rig will bring out one of our closet millionaires to sport for the gas.

TlxcalaClaudia

May 18, 2006, 9:46 AM

Post #21 of 72 (11290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Hi Nancy-
Unfortunately the recent political events have already caused one member of my Mexican family to "Attack" me. But her take was so ridiculous, I completely wrote her off. She was yelling for free medical care for her and her kids (doesn't work, sleeps all day, watches telenovelas and Springer-like shows all day while her toddler is left unattended, been here NOB for 2 years hasn't learned a lick of English, demands an interpreter at PTA meetings and wants to know why the govt. won't pay for her medical care, after all, they get free education and free meals, why not free medical care?). I reminded her the demonstrations were for worker's rights, not free medical care. I Don't even have medical insurance for the last year and half and asked her to please stick to the REAL topic. She is quite stupified by what she reads in terms of what Americans owe her that I don't think she would be any different if these demonstrations never happened. She is the sort of person to not want to work but expect someone else to give her things...we have plenty of Americans here who are exactly the same way though. I honestly don't feel concerned, even after reading that article on cnn.com (tisk tisk, it WAS on CNN.com regardless WHO wrote it, sheesh). LIke you, I also have a house in Mexico. I am still leaving in a month for our move down. People like this sister-in-law (a cuna, not a cunada btw) will always gripe even if there is nothing to gripe about. I hope this makes you feel a little more at ease when I say my experience with Mexicans here or there makes me put faith in them. I believe they will not take personal feelings in regards to these demonstrations out on the first American they meet. What happens at the border will probably not be any different because of this. There have always been problems at the border, and those problems tend to get magnified by news media. When I posted the original question, I was not affected by that article and knew most expats in Mexico would be as unaffected. I guess down the road you could be right and I could be wrong....I sure hope not.

Claudine

(This post was edited by TlxcalaClaudia on May 18, 2006, 9:47 AM)

wendy devlin

May 18, 2006, 10:07 AM

Post #22 of 72 (11282 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
>don't you think we ought to wait until after the elections are over and we see just how far into chaos the country has sunk?

How about tracking down chaos itself...like chasing after tornados!

Of course, Ed, if you want to stay out of DF during the election, maybe Ron Mader'll go in while we party in the limo-rig with Pickering's pick.

Heh! Maybe Ms Powell will come back from Soweto for Tour '06.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

May 18, 2006, 12:58 PM

Post #23 of 72 (11244 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Think you're going to have a bit of a problem if you ever take that rig into town. Also on some of those narrow switchbacks that seems so popular with the Mexican road builders.
Getting older and still not down here.

1ajijic

May 18, 2006, 1:22 PM

Post #24 of 72 (11233 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Wow, could Mexico's upcoming election be any worse than the last two US ones? Talk about needing UN observers!
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Gringal

May 18, 2006, 1:58 PM

Post #25 of 72 (11218 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] A concern or media hype?

| Private Reply
Interesting "observation". Without rapelling this thread over the edge, I'd like to point out that that we tend to "see" the crime rate in Mexico in brighter colors than we "see" the crime rate NOB. How about the divisions among the people in their many hard-bound political and social stances? NOB is a nation divided, dissatisfied with what they have for leadership but unable to come up with an alternative that a majority could agree upon.

Mexicans want changes, but I don't see the country as being as bitterly divided as the U.S on so many issues. Probably the biggest concerns in Mexico are the fear of violence and the breadbasket issue of border controls. None of the candidates CAN do anything much about the border issues and I think everyone knows it. That's a U.S. issue, and everyone also knows that's going in non-productive circles at present. In other words, a mess with no end in sight.

The Media loves it, of course. Bad news or potential bad news sells air time. Heaven forbid that the news should be so short on disasters or conflicts that people would shut off the TV and go shoot some hoops with their kids.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4