Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

zoeq1000

May 16, 2006, 12:52 AM

Post #1 of 11 (4481 views)

Shortcut

My favorite limonada

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've been experimenting with making limonada. The Mariposa and VIPS in QRO have excellent limonada. I tried liquid sugar but it's expensive. I've boiled sugar in water to make a syrup. But now I have simplified and put into a gallon pitcher: 1 c sugar with the juice of 7-8 small limes. Stir well. Add water to the top. Chill and stir well before serving. You can always add more lime to taste. I like the lime squeezers they have here - put the 1/2 lime into the squeezer what seems to be upside down to me. And squeeze. I would love an improvement on my recipe or other cooling drinks.

Anonimo

May 16, 2006, 4:28 AM

Post #2 of 11 (4480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeq1000] My favorite limonada

Limonada is among my favorite cold drinks. In some restaurants, it is made with carbonated water or Sprite, which is a refreshing variant. I had one recently when we ate at Mariscos La Güera, here in Pátzcuaro. (Although the preferred beverage to accompany un coctel de mariscos, after ice cold cerveza, is a Fanta Naranja.

Zoeq, what is that place on the Andador Histórico in Qto that makes excellent nieve de limón, and serves it in at least 3 ways? One way was flotante en Sprite, another was, if I recall, in agua mineral con gas, and the third, (strange to imagine) was in vino tinto.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

zoeq1000

May 16, 2006, 6:57 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] My favorite limonada

Gee I haven't found that place and I've never seen a red wine (I'm assuming red) on the street. What plaza is it near? Does it run east or west? I've seen people with a huge plastic glass of limonada but never found where they sell them. The Mariposa has great limonada and ice cream so maybe you're thinking of that. (They also have excellent chocolate milkshakes with ice cream they make themselves.)

Anonimo

May 16, 2006, 9:23 AM

Post #4 of 11 (4461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeq1000] My favorite limonada

I checked my Lonely Planet—Mexico, 8th edition, and found out it is the Nevería Galy, 5 de Mayo nº 20.

Gee I haven't found that place and I've never seen a red wine (I'm assuming red) on the street. What plaza is it near? Does it run east or west? I've seen people with a huge plastic glass of limonada but never found where they sell them. The Mariposa has great limonada and ice cream so maybe you're thinking of that. (They also have excellent chocolate milkshakes with ice cream they make themselves.)

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

zoeq1000

May 16, 2006, 9:33 AM

Post #5 of 11 (4457 views)

Shortcut

I'll check that out and get back to you. We'll see if it's still there.

Cynthia7

May 16, 2006, 10:55 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4427 views)

Shortcut

We are all hooked on Sonic Drive In's limonades in the USA. They make regular, diet and cherry limonades. Fresh lime juice, Sprite or 7 Up and lots of finely crushed ice. The recipe is on all of the Copy Cat recipe sites. Sometimes they have strawberry limonades when the berries are in season.

Lavanda

May 29, 2006, 11:03 AM

Post #7 of 11 (4387 views)

Shortcut

Re: limonada con vino tinto

Can't Post |
I had never heard of that one, but what I
have heard of is agua de jamaica with vino
tinto (red wine) added to it.

!! Viva Mexico, warts and all !!!

esperanza

May 29, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lavanda] limonada con vino tinto

If you order sangría preparada in almost any restaurant in Mexico, you will be served a glass about half filled with freshly prepared limonada and half a glass of vino tinto floated on top of the limonada. Stir thoroughly and voilá--sangría estilo México, and delicious.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

May 29, 2006, 7:55 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] limonada con vino tinto

As one might suspect, the limeade of Thailand is the world´s best,

Squeeze a bunch of limes in a pitcher and throw in all the limes as well.

Pour boiling water over the limes and lime juice.

Leave this to steep for a while. Not too long or it will become quite bitter

Add sugar or Splenda to taste..

Chill and serve.

To have some real fun serve this with crushed mint and white rum for a Mojito and pretend you are in Havana drinking with that guy who blew his brains out with a shotgun. in Idaho

zoeq1000

Jun 2, 2006, 5:27 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4326 views)

Shortcut

About Neveria Galy at 20 Cinco de Mayo, Queretaro, they are no longer there. There is a very nice pastry cafe on 16 de Mayo that serves excellent cake. That's just one street north and around #30.

zoeq1000

Jun 3, 2006, 11:12 AM

Post #11 of 11 (4308 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] limonada con vino tinto

Now that is a good twist to pour boiling water over the lime juice and limes. Do you add the wine after it cools or do you just prefer rum. I've had tequila with limonada and it is excellent. If you are ever in Queretaro, go to Los Laureles, an old Spanish hacienda, and order a sangria there as well as the carnitas.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4