Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

redoute38

May 15, 2006, 4:35 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4075 views)

Shortcut

fires

Can't Post | Private Reply
Jim,

We hope that the fires haven't gobbled up your ranchito.

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

May 17, 2006, 4:05 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4051 views)

Shortcut

Re: [redoute38] fires

Thanks for thinking of me!! The flames came very very close. Here are some pics http://community.webshots.com/...&security=kPAdCK And the white stuff you see on the ground is a bed of white hot ash!! Scarey. Investigating insurance!!

I lost a large coop and one peahen to smoke inhalation. All the people, animals and outbuilding and the big house survived but I did have to send out a "pipa" and the firemen came also. The sky has been red at night and lots of smoke--even reaching the hotel zone--schools closed and people evacuated all over. No loss of life though. It rained yesterday so most of the fires are out.

redoute38

May 17, 2006, 10:30 AM

Post #3 of 4 (4037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim in Cancun] fires

Apparently everything was ok (except for the poor peahen) thanks to your intervention. . We live in Cancun. The day before yesterday we saw smoke near the old Merida highway swirling upwards, like a tornado. It was a little scary seeing that far off, but I can imagine what it was up close for you. Hope that it's finished for good.

Bobby

sfmacaws

May 17, 2006, 1:09 PM

Post #4 of 4 (4031 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim in Cancun] fires

I'm glad redoubt asked and that your place is ok. Very scary. I've been reading the papers from afar and know the heat and the smoke must have been very bad. Glad it rained. Glad all but the pea hen survived.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4