Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

ncferret

May 13, 2006, 8:19 AM

Post #1 of 10 (5831 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara Restaurants

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are on vacation in Tlaquepaque for the week and would like to experience some of Guadalajara's great fine dining. If anyone has recommendations or knows of an appropriate website, please let us know. We live in Mazatlan, so Mexican food is less desirable than say Italian or Asian cuisine, but we are open to ideas :))

Cheers!

song_of_joy

May 13, 2006, 7:47 PM

Post #2 of 10 (5771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Guadalajara Restaurants

Thai Spice, Barrio de Quilmes (Argentine), Gondolieri (Italian)....

esperanza

May 13, 2006, 8:44 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5766 views)

Shortcut

Don't miss Ma Come No, at the corner of Avenida de las Américas and Angulo in Colonia Ladrón de Guevara. It's Italian dining at its truly finest, and don't miss the salad bar.

For sushi (and I never thought I'd say this, much less go there), try Nikoy, at the corner of Avenida Patria and Avenida Guadalupe. The hand rolls (cones), the smoked eel--truly, these offerings are delicious.

For the best fish in Tlaquepaque, go to El Pescador Rojas, just past the municipal market on Morelos. The shrimp empanadas, the whole fried red snapper, the special fish filet stuffed with shrimp and cheese, the mariscada (assorted seafood served either fried or boiled, served on a tray as big as a table top), and the shrimp cocktails--mmmmm.

For a big blowout chow-down of red meat, try La Matera, on Avenida México not far from López Mateos. It's Argentine, and both the beef and the chimichurri are great.

There's a newly-opened East Indian restaurant on López Cotilla--Masala is the name. I haven't been there, but I've heard good things.

Thai Spice...hmmm...sorry, song_of_joy, I wasn't that thrilled with it.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

ncferret

May 14, 2006, 4:47 AM

Post #4 of 10 (5747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Guadalajara Restaurants

Esperanza - THANK YOU! It's been way too long since I've had some great Italian food.

We were also thinking of visiting a Brazilian Rodizio style restaurant while we are here. Any suggestions?

jaybear

May 17, 2006, 6:15 AM

Post #5 of 10 (5690 views)

Shortcut

Esperanza,

We were driving down Avenida Mexico in Guad a couple of days ago, and we admired the many fasionable building housing upscale restaurants near the U. of Guad. This was our first time in that area. Can you describe some of the outstanding ones in that area, from the standpoint of "WOW" and service and food? Some of these were huge 2-storied stone buildings with canopies and doormen. They all looked expensive, with valet parking and sleek well-dressed Guads going to and fro--how expensive are they? My head has been turned!
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

esperanza

May 17, 2006, 7:07 AM

Post #6 of 10 (5684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Guadalajara Restaurants

Jaybear, are you sure you weren't on Avenida Vallarta? Avenida México doesn't pass through the UdeG area...

Let me know and I'll be glad to tell you what I know about any restaurant.

jaybear

May 17, 2006, 8:00 AM

Post #7 of 10 (5676 views)

Shortcut

Well, yes, "lost" is a good description for us a lot of the time! And yes, now that I review the map, we were on Avenida Vallarta going west from the main historic plaza area toward the arches and the Minerva fountain.

Thanks,
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

esperanza

May 17, 2006, 3:41 PM

Post #8 of 10 (5653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Guadalajara Restaurants

Aha, excellent. Now we're talking about the same neck of the woods. Avenida Vallarta runs from downtown Guadalajara (where its name is Avenida Juárez) all the way out past the Costco/Wal-Mart/Sam's/Galerías intersection of Rafael Sanzio.

West of the Centro Histórico, Avenida Vallarta passes lots of restaurants: Ochenta y Ocho, Las Costillas de Sancho, Bariachi, etc. LOTS of restaurants, many of which are exactly as you described: canopies, valet parking, doormen, and other acoutrements including leggy blondes and splendidly groomed men.

All of these restaurants have attracted the upscale young to middle age GDL crowd. The rooms are usually packed from two o'clock onward until about five, and then again late in the evening. Everyone is out to see and to be seen. Dining is secondary to other social pursuits.

These restaurants are not where I'd go for a great meal. However, if you want to see and be seen, you'd be happy at any of them.

ncferret

May 19, 2006, 8:52 AM

Post #9 of 10 (5618 views)

Shortcut

Short report on Guad restaurants -

As suggested by Esperanza (thanks again), Ma Come No was excellent. Some of the best Italian food we have ever eaten including Italy. Can't say enough about this place and there wasn't a free table in the place at lunch on a Tuesday afternoon, so obviously others agree.

Nikoy had great service and atmosphere. The food was good, not outstanding.

We did find a Rodizio place called Scratch Do Ouro and went on Sunday afternoon. Very casual dining (almost like a sports bar) and excellent food - assuming you like meat and LOTS of it. The music and dancing was excellent, as was the service. I suggest reservations as there wasn't a free table in the house.

We tried a few other places that were mentioned, but we were not overly impressed.

DavidMcL

May 19, 2006, 9:04 AM

Post #10 of 10 (5612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [song_of_joy] Guadalajara Restaurants

Don't forget to tell us where these places are!
David McL
WebJefe

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4