Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Anonimo

May 12, 2006, 7:36 AM

Post #1 of 9 (1379 views)

Shortcut

Income Requirements for FM-3 renewal

Can't Post | Private Reply
The following was posted on the lonelyplanet.com Thorn Tree Forums' Mexico Branch:

FM 3

For anyone interested.

just back from migracions here in Veracruz.. I asked what requirements / documentations they need.. "todays" list includes the following

1. proof of 1500 usd per month for past 12 months / bank statements
2. a current FMT
3. passport with copies of all pages
4. 5 pictures.. 3 front, 2 right profile.. ears and forehead must show, no ear rings. There are requirements for the size of the pictures and must be on a white background.
5. I must write a letter saying why I want to live in Mexico.
6. Everything must be translated into spanish
7. When submitting application I must pay about 191 usd.

I would appreciate any knowledgeable comments about the income requirements, especially the minimum required. Are these different for renewals or the same as for first time applicants? We had understood only 3 months of bank statements were required for renewals. We can produce 12 months of statements, but they won't necessarily reflect the amount indicated by the poster on Thorn Tree.
(And, yes, I do consider the source, the Thorn Tree, as generally less reliable than here. Also, we reapply in Morelia, not in Veracruz.)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Rolly

May 12, 2006, 7:45 AM

Post #2 of 9 (1374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Income Requirements for FM-3 renewal

Most INM offices will accept 3 months of bank statements. Most will go by the "official" rule of 250 times the basic minimum wage in DF. At today's exchange rate that is about US$1,150 for a single plus 50% more for each dependent. It goes up a little each year.

The INM office in Veracruz has a bad reputation. Their US$1,500 and 12 months of statements is not the norm. You should check with your INM office as to their requirements.

Rolly Pirate

Bear

May 12, 2006, 7:48 AM

Post #3 of 9 (1374 views)

Shortcut

Mike,
Here in Querétaro, the income requirement is 1145.US for three months prior to application.
This holds true for original FM3 or prorroga.
This is also true for Mexico State. However, INAMI in Mexico City will accept a SS Award Letter instead of the three bank statements requirement. Bear

Rolly

May 12, 2006, 8:01 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bear] Income Requirements for FM-3 renewal

In the state of Durango, the SS award statement is also accepted.

Rolly Pirate

arbon

May 12, 2006, 8:57 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1350 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I don't think any forum will have any influence on migracions requirements.

But I did read on TT that there was no horse radish available in Morelia, and I read on Mexconnect that horse radish is available in Morelia.

So when you go to your local migracions office to renew your FM3, please report what the local requirements are on that day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Papirex

May 12, 2006, 9:52 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1332 views)

Shortcut

The only reliable way to know the requirements for your FM-3 renewal is to visit your local INM office. The requirements vary with each office and are capricious.

The local office here in Cuernavaca will not accept your annual federal form SSA-1099 Social security award benefit form. They will not accept any federal form 1099R stating your annual pension benefit either. They will not accept copies, or computer print outs of your bank statements, only original bank statements for the last three months are acceptable.

Last year for the first time, they started requiring translated copies of our original US bank statements, done by a translator approved and licensed by the government. (At 20 US Bucks per page.)

Two years ago, they rejected the photos of myself that I had submitted, because they were in color. I had to have black and white photos taken. As usual, you cannot be wearing glasses, etc. in the photos submitted, that seems to be the norm for any photo submitted for anything in Mexico, driver’s license, etc.

At our local INM office, they will provide you with a list of the current requirements if you go there and ask. The list will be in Spanish.

Everything is local here. Everything in this post probably does not apply anywhere else in Mexico. You will never know what is required where you live by anything I write, or anything written by someone that lives in Guadalajara, Monterrey, Victoria, Acapulco, etc. You must visit your local INM office to get the requirements that will apply to you.

As I said, they are capricious as hell. It is a good idea to check with them before each renewal.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Ed and Fran

May 12, 2006, 12:21 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Income Requirements for FM-3 renewal

Recognizing that what Rolly and Rex said about checking with your local office is correct, I'll just throw in my $0.02 from my last renewal.

My local office here in northern Veracruz required:
- current passport and one copy of all the pages
- current FM3
- letter requesting the yearly renewal (my local rep hand wrote what the letter should say when I went for my first renewal, I just use that model each year)
- proof of residence (electric bill)
- three months bank statements (in our case, our local bank here)
- 3 copies of the SAT-5 form for making the payment in the bank (I buy the forms at a local stationary shop, the Migración rep fills them out)

No photos required for the renewal, no finger printing (at least here). The income requirement was per the official guideline.

When I got my last renewal, the local Migración office field reps made a house visit the day after I went in for the renewal. I believe they were just looking to verify that we actually lived where I said we did, and probably to see that I wasn't out working. They did ask what the source (not the amount) of our income was, but didn't ask to see any proof.

Sounds like the LP poster was trying to get an FM3 for the first time as he lists an "FMT" as one of the requirements.

ymmv

Ed & Fran

jennifer rose

May 12, 2006, 1:02 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1274 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Ed and Fran have stated the requirements for renewal.

For an FM-3 rentista, the income requirement is "not less than 250 times the minimum wage in the Federal District." Too many applicants seem to harbor the notion that that means "and not a single centavo more." INAMI delegations are vested with discretion, and that, along with establishing their own operating procedures, means interpretation of the regs. Imposing a $1500 USD monthly income requirement would clearly be within their discretion, because it's "not less than 250 times the minimum wage." So, too, would be a figure of $2,500 USD.

Rules, regulations and their interpretation are not engraved in stone. They are subject to change. What passes muster this year may not next year.

There was a time when Michoacan's INAMI office did not accept bank statements downloaded from the Internet, for the reason that those are subject to alteration. And during that period, a 180-year old man who'd taken a taxi from Uruapan, forget it his bank statements. The officer in charge suggested he go to an Internet cafe and download them. Lesson: what may work for a 180-year old man may not work for you.

Some INAMI delegations which had accepted US bank statements in the past now require that those bank statements be translated and certified by the American Consulate. Lesson: all the more reason to get a Mexican bank account.

Learn to deal with the ambiguities, and develop flexibility, patience and a good sense of humor. It won't do you any good to whine "But you did it this way last year" or "That's not how it's done in San Miguel de Allende."

And, BTW, there definitely is horseradish in Morelia.

If you're re-posting from another site, be sure to obtain permission and to include the original poster's name.

Anonimo

May 12, 2006, 2:41 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1260 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Re-posting Requirements...

If you're re-posting from another site, be sure to obtain permission and to include the original poster's name.

Ok, I'll be aware of that next time. OR, just post a link here to that site, which I would assume would be ok.

Thanks for the useful info.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4