Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

suki

Jul 18, 2002, 8:02 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4515 views)

Shortcut

travelling with dogs

Can't Post |
Could ant one give me some info on dog friendly Hotels/Motels. This will be our first time for taking our dogs to Mexico, we will be driving from B.C. Canada. We were told that Motel's 6 in the States are dog friendly?!
Thanks a bunch
Suki

Rolly

Jul 18, 2002, 10:08 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4510 views)

Shortcut

travelling with dogs

Can't Post |
I have traveled from coast to coast in the USA more than once with a dog and have never had a problem. However, I am told that motels in Mexico are not often dog-friendly. I have only used one motel in Mexico with my dog, and it took some discussion before they let me bring him into the room.<p>Bottom line – no problem in the USA, but Mexico may be harder.<p>

Dupree

Jul 19, 2002, 9:56 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4511 views)

Shortcut

travelling with dogs

Can't Post |
See now I woulda said the opposite. I took my canine companion down to Oaxaca last summer and while I had to sneak him into the motels here in then states all the mexican hotels did'nt even seem to notice him. I was staying in dives and other cheap places and camped most nights but the six or seven rooms I did stay at were so mellow I had no problem at all. Maybe the big resorts and chains are harsher I dunno. All you need to cross the Us/Mx border with them is a Certificate for Interstate or International Movement of Small Animals. Your vet should be able to get that form for you. Hey by the way, do you have any room left in your car? I am trying to get down to Oaxaca with my dog this summer again and am in need of a ride. I live right off I-5 and can split expenses. Thanks, Have a great trip. <p>

Uncle Donnie

Jul 21, 2002, 10:42 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4510 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, it's that decent streak that

Can't Post |
messes you up. My article in the magazine this month will touch on a few things about travel on both sides of the border, including traveling with a one-eyed Benji-type and a standard (big) poodle. Check it out on the first of the month.<p>BTW, I'm guessing you missed all, or most of the rain. The TX DOT re-routed us around San Antonio due to heavy water up there. We were gone for 10 days on the road and it rained on us about 8 of them. <p><p><p><p>: I have traveled from coast to coast in the USA more than once with a dog and have never had a problem. However, I am told that motels in Mexico are not often dog-friendly. I have only used one motel in Mexico with my dog, and it took some discussion before they let me bring him into the room.<p>: Bottom line – no problem in the USA, but Mexico may be harder.<p>

Rolly

Jul 21, 2002, 11:14 AM

Post #5 of 9 (4509 views)

Shortcut

No rain around here

Can't Post |
It been two years since we had a real rain here. Thus for this year we have had three little rains. One messed up the windshield, and two were enough to wash the windshield. None made mud, which is just fine with me because I still live a block and half from a paved street.<p>We live on the desert, but our underground aquifer is doing just fine, so we don’t have a water shortage. Happily, our water is drinkable right out of faucet. No bottled water, no water delivery trucks on the streets – great.<p>But what does this have to do with “on the road again?”

Uncle Donnie

Jul 22, 2002, 9:13 PM

Post #6 of 9 (4509 views)

Shortcut

No rain around here

Can't Post |
Have you forgotten how difficult it is to drive in that stuff? And to let dogs wee and poo?<p><p><p><p>
: It been two years since we had a real rain here. Thus for this year we have had three little rains. One messed up the windshield, and two were enough to wash the windshield. None made mud, which is just fine with me because I still live a block and half from a paved street.<p>: We live on the desert, but our underground aquifer is doing just fine, so we don’t have a water shortage. Happily, our water is drinkable right out of faucet. No bottled water, no water delivery trucks on the streets – great.<p>: But what does this have to do with “on the road again?”<p>

Bob

Aug 3, 2002, 4:04 PM

Post #7 of 9 (4517 views)

Shortcut

travelling with dogs

Can't Post |
We drove down from San Francisco to Ajijic last year through Nogales with three very large mastiffs (two bordeaux and a neo - each weighing about 130 lbs.) and three cats. We had two large dog cages and three cat cages in our two cars. In Mexico, we stopped overnight three times, in San Carlos, Guasave and Tepic. All hotels we contacted by phone in advance indicated absolutely no pets. We, consequently, sought lodging fairly early each day (about 2:30-3:00PM). At each stop, after briefly pleading our case and showing staff the cages, we were allowed to stay. The hotel staff we encountered in each town were very nice and understanding. We had to go through this as we were retiring to Ajijic. We were pleasantly surprised as will you be we suspect. Don't try this in the U.S. where rules is rules. There, we had to arrange lodging in pet friendly motels - of which there are many -in advance.
Bob <p>: Could ant one give me some info on dog friendly Hotels/Motels. This will be our first time for taking our dogs to Mexico, we will be driving from B.C. Canada. We were told that Motel's 6 in the States are dog friendly?!
: Thanks a bunch
: Suki<p>

rhonda aigen

Oct 15, 2002, 8:36 AM

Post #8 of 9 (4511 views)

Shortcut

travelling with dogs

Can't Post |
: I have traveled from coast to coast in the USA more than once with a dog and have never had a problem. However, I am told that motels in Mexico are not often dog-friendly. I have only used one motel in Mexico with my dog, and it took some discussion before they let me bring him into the room.<p>: Bottom line – no problem in the USA, but Mexico may be harder.<p>

rhonda aigen

Oct 15, 2002, 8:39 AM

Post #9 of 9 (4511 views)

Shortcut

travelling with dogs

Can't Post |
: I have traveled from coast to coast in the USA more than once with a dog and have never had a problem. However, I am told that motels in Mexico are not often dog-friendly. I have only used one motel in Mexico with my dog, and it took some discussion before they let me bring him into the room.<p>: Bottom line – no problem in the USA, but Mexico may be harder.<p>WE just travelled to Quebec with 2 small dogs and it was wonderful.
We now want to go cross country and to greece with them. Any advise on where to go. When you went cross country, did you book hotels in advance? Were they more willing to accept the dogs on the spot than an advance booking?<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4